What should we eat or skip at any of these?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
Trying some new to us places and would love advice on what to eat or not at the following :
Hollywood Brown Derby
Monsier Paul
Citrico's
Lecellier (lunch)
Tonys Town Square (lunch)
We've dined at Lecellier and Tonys before but not for many years. Would love to know your thoughts.

Have you read the menus? You're going to get suggestions that will probably cover a lot of the items. The real question is, is the restaurant good enough to make the dishes on the menu. Then make choices based on the ability of the restaurant.

Such a broad question might leave you with so many varied opinions as to be useless. I generally don't trust other peoples' opinions on dining unless I know them personally.

Hollywood Brown Derby - It is the obvious choice, but we enjoyed the famous Cobb Salad.
Lecellier (lunch) More obvious picks: the cheddar cheese soup and the tenderlion with mushroom risotto are our favorites. Cheese soup IRL sounds disgusting to me but I eat it only here at Le Cellier.

I would always pass on Tony's to be honest. I find the food much better at Plaza or Columbia Harbour House for example.

Hollywood Brown Derby - It is the obvious choice, but we enjoyed the famous Cobb Salad.
Lecellier (lunch) More obvious picks: the cheddar cheese soup and the tenderlion with mushroom risotto are our favorites. Cheese soup IRL sounds disgusting to me but I eat it only here at Le Cellier.

I agree with these Le Cellier dishes having tried them at F&W

I would always pass on Tony's to be honest. I find the food much better at Plaza or Columbia Harbour House for example.
Tonys has gotten some decent reviews lately so we are giving it another shot. If we can get an adr for the Plaza we will switch though. Does the Plaza accept ADR's at lunch?

From my experiences at Tony's the food is mostly pretty bad - with the exception of their amazing butternut squash soup that my whole family loved. In fact, it's so delicious that we tracked down the recipe and make it all the time, even years later! Highly recommend ordering that if it's available.

I guess I'm a big soup person, but I also want to recommend the corn soup at Hollywood Brown Derby. It's one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten at WDW!!

Tonys has gotten some decent reviews lately so we are giving it another shot. If we can get an adr for the Plaza we will switch though. Does the Plaza accept ADR's at lunch?
the reviews are definitely much better for Tony's but it seems like the "red sauce italian" standards, while no longer AWFUL are still not the best, but the other entrees are really quite good - that is probably where the new chef had the most influence.

Monsier Paul
I ate there once a couple years ago. It's a more upscale park restaurant and is a lot quieter. I dressed nice and did enjoy my food, but found it to be pretty pricey for what we got. I think we would go back, but not for a while.

Citrico's
I had a good meal here, but I liked Narcossee more. The waitress was really odd here and we probably won't be going back.

Lecellier (lunch)
I love Le Cellier. I served two items from here at my wedding I like it so much. The beer cheese soup is amazing and so is there filet mignon. They have both of these at Food and Wine, which is what made me decide to eat in the restaurant. The last time I went we ordered the poutine fries with braised short rib on top and it was delicious. I'd never tried it before and could have eaten so much more. The only downside to this restaurant is how close the tables are together. The first time we went we were in a row of table of twos that barely had enough room for a person to squeeze by to sit at the table. I could have reached over and eaten to food from the people next to me plate and the conversation happening two tables away I felt a part of. But I love this place and keep going back.

I've never been to Hollywood Brown Derby or Tony's so I can't give an opinion on that. I've heard Tony's is not very good and HBD is, but that's the extent I know on those.

the reviews are definitely much better for Tony's but it seems like the "red sauce italian" standards, while no longer AWFUL are still not the best, but the other entrees are really quite good - that is probably where the new chef had the most influence.
Being Italian myself, I never order red sauce in a restaurant, even high end ones. Red sauce is so subjective, I avoid it always.

Being Italian myself, I never order red sauce in a restaurant, even high end ones. Red sauce is so subjective, I avoid it always.
I am italian-adjacent (7 year relationship with an italian) and I have zero interest in eating that stuff out, his mom makes the best standards and nothing compares.

Monsieur Paul - the rack of lamb was wonderful
La Cellier the cheddar cheese soup, the tenderloin and ribeye were very good. Never eaten there for lunch.
Brown Derby have not had bad food there. For lunch, the Cobb salad was very good.
Tonys, has been a few years, but was not impressed. Newer reviews have been better, but still sounds like avoid the red sauce.

If I remember correctly, the lunch and dinner menu at Le Cellier are pretty much the same. It is generally a must do for us...until this trip when we were more wowed by Tiffins.

My rule of thumb for any steakhouse is always get the filet.

Really I just end up stuffing my face with the bread plate...

a tip on le cellier - when I was there with my son he wanted to try to dip pretzel bread in cheese soup - we were able to order the kids size for bread dipping, it was just right for the two of us, rather than ordering a large soup. I like it on bread but I don't care much for it spooned by itself.

Trying some new to us places and would love advice on what to eat or not at the following :
Hollywood Brown Derby
Monsier Paul
Citrico's
Lecellier (lunch)
Tonys Town Square (lunch)
We've dined at Lecellier and Tonys before but not for many years. Would love to know your thoughts.

HBD: the Cobb salad, corn chowder when it's on the menu (a form of crack IMHO), beef carpaccio all make wonderful starters or small plates. Haven't tried the crab wonton yet but plan to next visit. I really enjoy how they do pork chops and have been able to convince staff to serve the seared scallops as a stand alone entree instead of an enhancement. The man likes the ways they prepare duck and the filet. We all enjoy the desserts offered.

M. Paul: Bring on the oxtail soup! Or the escargots! Nothing wrong with that beautiful fish dish covered in potato "scales" either. Any dessert is the right choice;).
Citrico's: Will eat there for the first time this forthcoming trip.
Le Cellier: Not on my radar.
Tony's: I don't do Italian if DGD isn't traveling w/ us (although I was pretty satisfied with Enzo's Sunday Supper) so opinionless.

Last edited:

Tony's has a new chef and the reviews have been much improved.

OP- it is difficult too suggest what food YOU should or should not try at any of these restaurants. If I have a question about quality, I always ask the server if something is good, or if I should lean towards a different dish. The servers are not going to deliberately send you to order a dish that is consistantly bad if you give them an alternate you are considering.

Tony's has a new chef and the reviews have been much improved.

^ I live in FL and we have slowed on our visits the past year, bet before that went often the last 18 years so have a lot of experience here. There are restaurants that were amazing, then went downhill, then became amazing again. An example is Tutto Italia. 15 years ago we loved it, then had some lackluster experiences and stopped going. We went back a couple of years ago as it looked empty and inviting compared to Via Napoli and it's again a favorite, you just never know. The food had been seeming mass prepared but was back to being more authentic and reminded me of the Alfredo's days.

^ I live in FL and we have slowed on our visits the past year, bet before that went often the last 18 years so have a lot of experience here. There are restaurants that were amazing, then went downhill, then became amazing again. An example is Tutto Italia. 15 years ago we loved it, then had some lackluster experiences and stopped going. We went back a couple of years ago as it looked empty and inviting compared to Via Napoli and it's again a favorite, you just never know. The food had been seeming mass prepared but was back to being more authentic and reminded me of the Alfredo's days.

Yes, for some of the WDW quality ebbs and flows. We are done with 'Ohana for a while, and are giving Le Cellier another go.

Honestly it really is hard to suggest what someone will and will not like. I like Chef Mickey's so who is going to take me seriously if I give a suggestion???LOL!!!

Yes, for some of the WDW quality ebbs and flows. We are done with 'Ohana for a while, and are giving Le Cellier another go.

Honestly it really is hard to suggest what someone will and will not like. I like Chef Mickey's so who is going to take me seriously if I give a suggestion???LOL!!!

Ha! The only one I a still too fearful to go back to is 'Ohana! I'm actually curious to hear how your Le Cellier experience goes. We used to love it back in the days where you could just walk up and slowly watched it become overrun and bland. We still laugh about the time we were standing around out front waiting for our priority seating (secured months prior) when a family walked up to the podium and asked for a table for 12. The hostess suggested the nearby McDonalds, LOL. Anyway, please post about your experience. They should at least bring back the breadsticks, that one made no sense. If I were in charge of the Canada pavilion, I'd be selling paper cones of them from the cart out front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter