What snacks were in your fridge or cupboard growing up?

I can't stand the taste of jello or pudding premade in those little cups, because my childhood memories of my mom making them from scratch was so much better (even if she had to put saran wrap tightly on top of the pudding so it didn't develop a skin).

My DH always says he married up because he came from a Little Debbie household while my house had Hostess snacks :D.

TAB and taco flavored Doritos while watching the afternoon soaps in the summer with my mom, aaah.......

Terri

My Dad worked at a Hostess cupcake factory, doing deliveries I think. He brought home fresh made hostess cupcakes a lot. Man, were they delicious. I can still taste them. Then he changed jobs, and that was the end of that, Darn:)

My Dad worked at a Hostess cupcake factory, doing deliveries I think. He brought home fresh made hostess cupcakes a lot. Man, were they delicious. I can still taste them. Then he changed jobs, and that was the end of that, Darn:)

There's something to be said for fresh baked goodies. I've been to/near bakeries and the smell can be intoxicating. I recall a bunch of production bakeries in my area. The Safeway supermarket chain had a warehouse with a bakery that produced their sliced bread, and I could smell it 1/4 mile away.

At least our local Hostess bakery used to be the old Colombo Bakery near the Oakland Coliseum. They still have that sign up. I remember when I'd get up in the morning to attend early morning college classes, and my breakfast would be a loaf of sourdough. I knew which mornings for the delivery and they would still be warm on the shelf, even delivered 25 miles.

We never had any prepared snacks, but my sister and I were quite the little bakers. We whipped up brownies and snickerdoodles on occasion. We also made no-bake cookies quite a bit and one of my favorite creations was to spread peanut butter on a slice of bread, top it with honey and pop it in the freezer to firm up. It was a quick, delicious, chewy snack.

Not really. The packaged food was for my school.lunches. I was always hungry until an adult actually cooked a meal. Cereal was only for breakfast. Heaven help you if you were foraging through the cabinets!

Not really. The packaged food was for my school.lunches. I was always hungry until an adult actually cooked a meal. Cereal was only for breakfast. Heaven help you if you were foraging through the cabinets!
I had several friends/cousins that weren't allowed to help themselves to food at home. It always struck me as extremely weird at the time but I've since learned it really wasn't all that uncommon.

I had several friends/cousins that weren't allowed to help themselves to food at home. It always struck me as extremely weird at the time but I've since learned it really wasn't all that uncommon.
We had a family in the neighborhood with a large amount of kids. They were only allowed two graham crackers each after school, that was it.

My parents were pretty health conscious. None of my friends wanted the snacks at our house.

My dad made homemade granola with a fraction of the sugar and fat (back then it was thought that fat was bad) of the supermarket brands. Store-bought granola tasted like candy in comparison. He used to buy huge bags of oats at the feed store to make it with--I think they were intended for animals. They were so minimally processed that eating his granola was like a cow chewing its cud; it took about five minutes to get a mouthful chewed enough to swallow.

He also made yogurt in the back of his Datsun hatchback--just a bowl of milk with some kind of cultures or something, covered with a dish towel, and the heat in the car would turn it to yogurt. No sugar or fruit--just plain. Once when my aunt, uncle, and cousins were visiting my dad put sugared strawberries in the yogurt so my cousins would eat it. I never knew yogurt could taste good. My cousins still wouldn't eat it.

My parents were weird. My mom did bake a lot, but mostly breads, not sweets, although there were sometimes cookies and cakes. I do remember getting Little Debbie cakes from time to time, but that was a treat and they were doled out carefully; you couldn't just help yourself. Sometimes in the summer we had Kool-Aid.

Cereal was only for breakfast.

I remember telling a friend in high school how I had French toast for dinner the night before. She was absolutely S.H.O.C.K.E.D. to hear someone having a breakfast food for dinner. I said our family has always been like that. What difference does it make when to have certain foods? She went home and told her family about it, it was so unheard of. :eek: :eek: :eek: :faint:

Then a few days later she comes back and said they decided French toast for dinner, TOO. :thumbsup2:lmao:

SALTINE crackers, there was a cookie jar with store bought cookies, DING DONGS, but I don't think that was a regular purchase, BUGLES and plain old Lays Potato Chips

My parents were very health conscious and snacks at home were fruit and/or vegetables. We had some apple and pear trees, blueberry and raspberry bushes and a huge garden. During the winter we would have apples, bananas, pears, oranges, celery, carrots. We could help ourselves to peanut butter, raisins, crackers. My mom only bought chips and store bought sweets for holidays and special occasions.

Lucky for us, we had grandparents. My dad’s mom was a prolific cookie baker and she never visited without several tins of homemade cookies. My mom’s dad grew up hungry during the Depression and loved to see us eat. He was always feeding us. My mom was a nurse and went back to work part time when I was 12. She left for work really early and my dad would get us up in the morning and my grandfather would show up to watch my youngest sister who wasn’t in school yet. He’d usually have doughnuts for us before school. After school he’d either have some other treat or take us out to Pizza Hut. Most of the times I ate in a restaurant as a child it was with my mom’s parents and almost all junk food came through my grandparents.

Snacks? Not so much. There were always pots of food on the stove, no matter what time of day. With 7 kids, 2 parents and 1 grandparent in the house, something was always cooked fresh and ready to eat. My mom wasn't a big believer in processed food, so we never got any of the cool snack-sized stuff my friends had. She would make pudding from scratch a lot, so we did have those in the fridge in individual dessert cups.

Our town had a lot of incredible Mexican bakeries, so we did always have a tray or two of pan dulce for Merienda (tea time) in the late afternoon. My family back home still does merienda every day. It's a neat tradition.

Snacks? Not so much. There were always pots of food on the stove, no matter what time of day. With 7 kids, 2 parents and 1 grandparent in the house, something was always cooked fresh and ready to eat. My mom wasn't a big believer in processed food, so we never got any of the cool snack-sized stuff my friends had. She would make pudding from scratch a lot, so we did have those in the fridge in individual dessert cups.

Our town had a lot of incredible Mexican bakeries, so we did always have a tray or two of pan dulce for Merienda (tea time) in the late afternoon. My family back home still does merienda every day. It's a neat tradition.
Wow, that's a big family! I had to look up pam dulce because I didn't know what it was. Sounds yummy!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_dulce

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter