What The Dis Unplugged means to me

AlexMouse

Mouseketeer
Hello all! Well, it’s been a long time. It’s been a very long time since I have posted anything on the Dis Boards, my "What Disneyland Means to Me" post being back in 2009! I’m not really a post-on-the-internet kind of guy these days, but sometimes one just feels compelled to share a story… or in this case, the next chapter of one!

When I wrote those original posts back in 2009, things had already started to go way downhill for me. By the end of 2010 I had lost everything I had… all of my savings, my retirement, all my worldly possessions, and eventually the roof over my head. I ended up homeless for a short period of time. That was a lot of no fun, I can tell you.

By the time I was finally employed again I literally had nothing except a broken laptop and some clothes. Still, through it all, I kept thinking… I will get back to Disney some day and when I do I’ll know that everything’s gonna be OK. (If one can afford a Disney vacation these days, one is doing all right!)

I kept listening to The Dis Unplugged, just as I’d been doing for years. Even though I had no idea when I might return to Disney, I knew I would some day, so I kept listening. It’s funny how comforting listening to Pete and company really became – a bright ray of familiarity and normalcy in an otherwise personal time of darkness.

Suffice it to say things got better for me over the last 8 years. I’ve worked my you-know-what off to regain some stability.

Thinking about all of this and realizing how far I’ve come from having absolutely nothing to being able to take 3 club-level vacations to the World this year really made me jump at the chance to further increase my contributions to Give Kids the World, via Pete’s First Giving page to celebrate the 1000th episode of The Dis Unplugged. I feel like I’ve got so much out of The Dis Unplugged, way beyond just simply having something to listen to once in a while, that giving back as much as possible only seemed right. It isn’t the first time I’ve donated to Give Kids the World, but this time felt even more special. It’s a celebration of all that is great about The Dis, but in some ways a personal celebration as well.

Congratulations, Pete and Company on 1000 episodes! I couldn’t be more thrilled for you all!

If you are reading this and haven’t donated yet, please contribute to the fundraiser if you can!

Very awesome, and touching story, @AlexMouse! So glad thing are much better for you now. However - if you're like me, who has also experienced a great up and down rollercoaster experience in life, you appreciate even the "valleys" in life, because I believe (at least for me) it's made me stronger, more empathetic towards others, happier with much less/smaller things in life, I KNOW I'm a survivor, and I LIKE the person I am inside today!!

Congrats on giving to GKTW, they are an awesome cause, which I am SO happy Pete and everybody opened my eyes up to years ago, and I always support, when and where I can, and also tell others about its magic for families. I've talked before about "paying it forward" and trying to do for others in this life when and where you can, random acts of kindness, etc., and I am happy to see you not only believe it too, but also ACT on it - the most IMPORTANT part - lip service and "good thoughts" do nothing.

Hugs to you, please hang around, and may the happier things in life (including lots of pixie dust, of course! pixiedust:) continue to come your way!

Thank you all for what you do. My family and I are DVC members from Miami who listen to you every week and use your site, board, videos and travel agents to plan all our trips. You do a great job on all your productions. Keep up the great work.

Trip planning is a short escape from the day-to-day grind. I actually experience a sense of euphoria during the planning process. The DIS is with me during all those times. I get to experience a bit of Disney magic every Tuesday while we count down the weeks until our next trip.

Thank you all for what you do. My family and I are DVC members from Miami who listen to you every week and use your site, board, videos and travel agents to plan all our trips. You do a great job on all your productions. Keep up the great work.

Trip planning is a short escape from the day-to-day grind. I actually experience a sense of euphoria during the planning process. The DIS is with me during all those times. I get to experience a bit of Disney magic every Tuesday while we count down the weeks until our next trip.
@maloned - Totally agree, I used to get stressed out, but totally enjoy, the whole planning process!! Of course - i haven't done it since the advent of Magic Bands, MDE, etc. Double edged sword there. :)

What DisUnplugged means to me?

I spent a lot of time at WDW many years ago but unfortunately due to my own actions I am no longer able to visit the U.S. so Disneyworld has been off limits to me since 2003.
I discovered the Dis podcast a few years ago and it brought back all the magical feelings of going to Disney, I love the different personalities of the team and how they each can bring their own perspective to discussions. I'd really love to be able to invite Craig and Ryno over here to have a night out drinking with them!
I don't know if I'll ever be able to get back to the parks but at least now I know I can get a little bit of that Disney magic every(most) Tuesday evenings, the show comes on at 6pm here in the U.K.

I've thought about going to Disneyland Paris to get my Disney fix but I worry it won't live up to the feels I used to get from Disneyworld so I'll carry on getting that feeling by listening to a bunch of strangers in Florida.

Got a very nice thank you letter from Pamela Landwirth, President & CEO of GKTW today, in connection with this donation effort, customized to reflect that. I'd forgotten they do that - NICE touch - just proves what a class organization they are!! @WebmasterPete

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter