What time do you get access to your site, in YOUR experience?

DCWarrior

Mouseketeer
Hey all, I’ve been loving this section of the forums lately!!! We will be camping at Fort Wilderness for the first time in June, so I am finding this section very helpful. Thank you to all who contribute!!!

That said, having read through here, I am now leaning towards wanting to get to the Fort early in the morning to try and see what’s available and choose/request loop or sites instead of showing up mid or late day. So, those of you that have gotten to the Fort in the morning hours, what time have you been able to actually get to your sites? Will they call or text when it’s ready if you have to wait or do you have to keep checking in with them to find out? Very curious, because it will certainly affect our leaving and travel time plans on whether we want to try to get there in the morning or afternoon.

You just never know. This year we showed up at 9:30 and our site was ready; other times we have waited until 4:00 PM.

Hey all, I’ve been loving this section of the forums lately!!! We will be camping at Fort Wilderness for the first time in June, so I am finding this section very helpful. Thank you to all who contribute!!!

That said, having read through here, I am now leaning towards wanting to get to the Fort early in the morning to try and see what’s available and choose/request loop or sites instead of showing up mid or late day. So, those of you that have gotten to the Fort in the morning hours, what time have you been able to actually get to your sites? Will they call or text when it’s ready if you have to wait or do you have to keep checking in with them to find out? Very curious, because it will certainly affect our leaving and travel time plans on whether we want to try to get there in the morning or afternoon.

DCWarrior,

I'm an early arriver and always have to wait at least a few hours. It's my own fault, though, because I have tended to travel during busy times (right after New Years or during spring break in March) and I am specific about wanting a specific loop. When I book a Preferred site, I want loop 100. When I book a Tent site, I want 1500 (I have a popup). If I was more flexible and would take a site of the same level in another loop, I'd probably get in earlier.

When you get to the Fort early, you go through the whole check-in process (or use early check-in) and you pay up, get your info packet, the whole schmiel and if a site is open then that meets your requests, boom, you can get it early. If it's not ready, you have to wait and you leave your cell phone number or email and they message you with the site number when it's ready. Actually, the CM knows the site number but if it's not ready, that means someone is on it and leaving that morning and it has to be prepped, clean/blown, and THEN the message comes to you "Site 634 is ready for you".

If you have to wait, you can park in the overflow lot (furthest lot from the check-in building) and go to the parks, or get a bite to eat, or sit there and check out the Fort (what we do). We walk to the bus stop at the Outpost (check-in) area, ride down to the Meadow Trading Post, lake, get breakfast at Trails End, check out our requested loop, etc. Like Cousin Ed C said, it just varies.

You improve your odds by arriving earlier but there are no bad sites at the Fort.

Bama Ed

PS - I even have 3-4 sites in my head in my requested loops that I usually ask for. For example if I can get ANY site in 100, I'd consider it. But if 116 is coming open that morning, I'll wait for it over taking first available in 100. But if you're not that extreme like I am, the more general you can make your request, the earlier you should get it.

PPS - to answer your question, I usually am on my site by 1pm (except for the time I gave the CM a wrong phone number (they read it back to you so it was my fault)).

Last edited:

We're a lot like @bama_ed in that we arrive early. We stop for a nap at the I-75 rest area near Ocala on the way down and leave there so we arrive at The Fort around 6:30am. Usually we are the only ones checking in and have great conversations about what we like with the CMs. We are much more interested in getting a great site than having the site available immediately. We park in overflow and head to the parks. We usually get the text with the site number between noon and 2:00pm.

We have gotten in early for our last 3 stays, think 7 am and did not get our site until well after 3pm. We dropped the trailer and hit a park.

We've only been twice so far. First time I was there at 7am and the site was ready by 11. Second time, we didn't get there until late in the day, so it had long since been ready.

That said, I think many (myself included for our early arrival) plan on arriving and selecting a site but being ready to drop the unit in overflow and enjoy the day for a while. When I arrived at 7 I checked in, dropped the trailer, got some breakfast, went to a golf clinic at one of the courses, ran a couple of errands, and then came back around 1p to set things up. I think being prepared for that type of a scenario is always the best bet.

What do you do with your pets if you arrive early and have to park in overflow? We will arrive at FW at around 10:30 am on our check in day and will have our dog with us. We aren't going to the parks on arrival day.

Also, I just did online check in. Will we be able to have any input into what site we are assigned since I checked in online? We have a reservation for a preferred site.

Thanks!

We always stayed at The Fort and walked around. If you wanted to go to a park you could drop your pet at Best Friends Pet Care.

We always arrive early morning, usually before 7:30. I'm not picky on most sites or loops so when I'm told my site isn't ready I ask very nicely if there are any sites open. All but one time I was able to get an open site.

We are usually trying to arrive around 12 to 1 pm. We request loops (first choice, second choice, third choice) when we make our original reservations, we are usually reserved somewhere around 480 days out. We've always got the first choice of loops. We have been able to get to our sites right away. Last trip with DS they put us in his site and him in our site. Drove to the site. backed in, started setting up and here comes maintenance, someones sewer connection got cross threaded and they just left it there. Helped the worker get it out, I held the pipe while he tried to unscrew it. We checked in at the same time, DS had to wait for his site, put him in overflow lot until around 3pm. I think they got the sites mixed with what should have been ready and what needed maintenance yet. We haven't been enough times to request specific sites.

we always arrive around 11am, never have had to wait, I'm with tiggerdad, not picky and like Ed said, there are no bad sites at FW

What do you do with your pets if you arrive early and have to park in overflow? We will arrive at FW at around 10:30 am on our check in day and will have our dog with us. We aren't going to the parks on arrival day.

Some who have onboard generators leave their pets with climate control on, but those of us without have limited options. As many said, your best bet is probably to be less than picky - allowing you the opportunity to get in earlier. If you want/need to wait for another site, you do have Best Friends as an option, but that needs to be set up in advance so that you have proper documentation, etc...

Considering the number of people we saw checking out WAY past 11AM, its surprising that the site cleanup CM get them done before dark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter