What to do in WDW before DCL transfer?

Rebecca Pocahontas

Mouseketeer
We are 3 adults staying at Pop Century in July and we are using the Disney transfers to Port Canaveral. From everything that I have read it seems like the earliest we could be picked up is 11am, but it is probably going to be 11:30 to noon. So we need something to do for about 3 hours in WDW that won't get us sweaty. I know that the "sweaty" part is going to be hard to get out of considering it is going to be July. We are early risers and so we will probably be done with breakfast at 7:30 and have nothing to do except walk around the resort or watch tv.

What do you usually do if you have extra time before catching the bus? All I can really think to do is catch the bus to MK and ride the monorail around the resorts.

I hope you don't mind that I follow along...I am trying to figure out how we will get to the port and have been weighing the options for months now (thankfully I have another year to decide ;))! I have been leaning towards a character breakfast then checking out resorts if there is still some time (and we decide to do the transfer).

When our kids were little, we would let them swim etc. Depending on the time WDW opens, the bus ride there and back, there is not much to do, especially if your pick up time is 11/11:30. They want you there and checked in about 30 minutes before. And not getting sweaty, in July, at WDW is going to be tough. Good luck, happy cruising!

We make a nice breakfast reservation at one of the resorts. Pick your favorite, 1900 Park Fare, Whispering Canyon, Trattoro at Boardwalk. You can get up, turn over your luggage and then have an 830 breakfast reservation, being done by 1000. Then you can enjoy the resort before getting a taxi back to Pop.

We are 3 adults staying at Pop Century in July and we are using the Disney transfers to Port Canaveral. From everything that I have read it seems like the earliest we could be picked up is 11am, but it is probably going to be 11:30 to noon. So we need something to do for about 3 hours in WDW that won't get us sweaty. I know that the "sweaty" part is going to be hard to get out of considering it is going to be July. We are early risers and so we will probably be done with breakfast at 7:30 and have nothing to do except walk around the resort or watch tv.

What do you usually do if you have extra time before catching the bus? All I can really think to do is catch the bus to MK and ride the monorail around the resorts.

Once, my family and I took a cab (less time consuming) and went to have brunch at one of the deluxe resort. I'd recommend Boma or 'Ohana (with characters) or Cape May Café (also with characters). :)

Usually once they pick up my luggage. We usually try to go back to sleep. You are going to have a very long day.

There's not much to do as you don't want to miss your bus. We had a nice breakfast at Port Orleans and got those famous beignets. And then walked around the river at the resort. But other than that, I think it's mostly just waiting. curious to see what other people say.

Swim and enjoy the resort. Maybe go over to Animal Kingdom Lodge, have b'fast and look at the animals.

We were too excited that morning to actually do anything. We went to the food court and had a leisurely b'fast and just walked around the resort.

This is when we enjoy the resort because the rest of the time we were at the parks. We are staying at Caribbean Beach at the end of June and get on the Fantasy June 30 so my plan is to eat breakfast, walk around the resort and relax by the pool until we board. We are a large group so Disney transportation made the most sense for us.

I would swim, but my daughter and I are big pool fans who will always choose to swim. :) Another option is a breakfast reservation at a character meal in a resort, like Cape May Cafe or 'Ohana. Or, a breakfast without characters - Whispering Canyon, Boma, the Wave, etc.

We typically go to O'Hana. Our next cruise we are staying at the Airport Hyatt, cruise after we are driving so no choices there :)

For next year, I haven't decided yet on transportation (we will be staying in one of the value resorts), but I was thinking about the earliest option to have the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria, I think the first seating is at 7:40, that should be plenty of time to have a relaxed breakfast.

Would it be possible instead of going back to the value resort to be picked up for DCL transportation, to go to one of the Boardwalk resorts and get on the bus there?

Assuming you're accurate in being done with breakfast by 7:30, and also assuming that your letter that you get the night before tells you that your bus departure is scheduled for 11:00AM, that means you have 3.5 hours of empty time.

Taking a bus to the Magic Kindgom is 20-25 minutes of ride time plus you have to allow 20 minutes or so prior to wait for a bus. The same on the way back. That's 1.5 hours of time right there, and has little to no tolerance built into it. How long will you wait for a monorail? 15 minutes? And a complete Resort Monorail round trip is about 20 minutes. You still have about an hour of time left. Ride a second time? :)

I almost never bother trying to plan anything for departure day from the resort, regardless of where I'm going (DCL or home). Keep your bathing suits out and hit the pool after breakfast? Just lounge by the pool?

Another vote for a nice breakfast. We also go pin trading. Places like GF and Poly have lots of cast members with pin trading lanyards.

Another idea, breakfast at any one of the monorail resorts and then rent a pontoon boat or other motorized watercraft at the Contemporary Resort. I think you can rent them by the half hour so spend whatever time fits your schedule. Waves is an underrated breakfast buffet in my opinion. The contemporary is about a 10-15 min walk from the MK drop off point so you can get to/from the resort fairly easily.

and also assuming that your letter that you get the night before tells you that your bus departure is scheduled for 11:00AM,
Just going to point out here, you don't know until you receive the letter in your room the night before the DCL transfer what time it's at. It could be as early as 10:30, or as late at 1:30.

We just typically, sleep in a bit, and have a nice breakfast at whatever resort we're at. Then wait. It's not that relaxing (the point of a vacation) to me to stress about filling up all available time with something to do.

We relax around our resort, taking the time to have a lazy morning -- we like to be at our room around 8 when they come to pick up our checked bags, then do breakfast, then lazily explore the resort. When it gets closer to checkout time or pickup meeting time [whichever is first] we checkout and park outselves in a comfy spot in the lobby waiting for the pickup [or, if pickup is a while away, a comfy spot somewhere else nearby and keep an eye on the clock].

However, some options to consider:

Take an uber to a relatively nearby well-themed resort and explore it. Consider Animal Kingdom Lodge. You could combine it with having breakfast there, thus increasing your time at the resort -- Boma (TS buffet) , Sanaa (QS) , Mara (QS). Since you are early risers, if you plan for a first of the morning breakfast you should be ok timewise even if you have an early pickup for DCL, but doing one of the QS options gives you even more flexibility.

If it has opened by the time of your trip, ride the gondolas, perhaps getting off at one or two of the resorts along the way and briefly exploring them. Our next trip is in the fall and the gondolas will be open by then. Although we will be staying at AKL, we will bus or uber to Pop and ride the gondolas, doing a "gondola hop" to visit some of the resorts on it, and have a meal at Pop's QS. We're also going to do a monorail hop during the other part of our stay, when we are at CCV [our stays are bookending a DCL cruise].

Explore Art of Animation resort.

SW

So if you picked an early check in at the port it sounds like that wouldn't work if you're taking the bus. Do they not pick you up according to your check in time? I've also had it before where they picked us up at Animal Kingdom, they had given us 2 parks to pick from, don't know if they also currently do that. So any ideas if I wanted to cancel my bus transfers and take something else to port who I should use, it is only 2 of us.

So if you picked an early check in at the port it sounds like that wouldn't work if you're taking the bus. Do they not pick you up according to your check in time? I've also had it before where they picked us up at Animal Kingdom, they had given us 2 parks to pick from, don't know if they also currently do that. So any ideas if I wanted to cancel my bus transfers and take something else to port who I should use, it is only 2 of us.

There is one pick up time per resort. They do not pick up from the parks.

No clue on other ways to get there - I know from here about 4 people is the break-even point, so you’d be looking at about double the cost. I am perfectly happy staying in the Disney bubble - going straight to my cabin to drop stuff (as has happened the past 2 cruises) is an amazing start!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!