What to do other than the parks?

Disnerd6838

Mouseketeer
We are on a budget trip, and will be staying for 3 nights (4 days) but only choosing 2 parks. The other days we will need some advice on what to do while on a budget away from the parks! Mind you day 1 we will be in Disney starting around 12 pm, and day 4 we leave around the same time.

Also.. which 2 parks should we choose??

So it sounds like only your arrival day would be a free day - I would consider a dinner at one of the monorail resorts (this could be QS to be cost effective) and then you can do a monorail resort tour of shopping, checking out the resorts and if you want stopping for a drink at one of the lounges (California grill lounge, wave lounge, trader sams at poly or something at GF). Then you can end your evening watching the fireworks from one of those locations. Ideally it would be up at the california grill lounge as that might have a better view than the beach at poly or GF. This way it is still and enjoyable and magical way to start your trip but still won't cost a arm, leg and your first born.

Another option would be a visit to Disney springs or just mini golf and a visit to the boardwalk to see that night time entertainment or depending on what resort you are staying at it could just be relaxing dinner at the resort and pool time with early to bed so you can take advantage of rope drop.

I guess your savings would be about $100 per person not going to a park on arrival day - but also factor that if you do get a park ticket for your first day that it also means 3 or more additional fastpasses. That same $100pp might be spent on your first day with shopping/bar hopping so I guess you need to weight where you want to spend your money.

As for which parks you choose might depend on what time of year you are traveling and what is going on for festivals etc. We always enjoy Epcot for the world showcase and magic kingdom for the nostalgia.

Last edited:
If I had to only pick 2 parks they would be MK and Epcot. It will depend on who you're traveling with and what they're interested in. You'll also want to check the hours at the parks so you're getting the most bang for your buck. On your non-park time you could do a monorail resort hop. Head to Disney Springs and take the boat over to Port Orleans.

We are on a budget trip, and will be staying for 3 nights (4 days) but only choosing 2 parks. The other days we will need some advice on what to do while on a budget away from the parks! Mind you day 1 we will be in Disney starting around 12 pm, and day 4 we leave around the same time.

Also.. which 2 parks should we choose??

Do something tacky and non-Disney-ish.

There are a lot of great comedy clubs , weird mini-golf things (glow in the dark indoor mini golf is awesome) dinner mystery theaters, go carts, Medieval Times, etc...

That's what I love about Orlando. Yeah, the mouse trap is awesome as is Universal but there are a million and 1 other odd ball things you can do there too for a lot less than a day at a Disney park.

Which parks depends on what you like to do and who's in your party.

Kids? MK and HS or AK.

Enjoy great eats and drinks? EPCOT.

If you could squeeze out another $80 per person. You could do 3 days in the parks. If not, tour the resorts. There is lots to see and do. Before arriving, get each resorts list of activities for the day.

MK and Epcot are my 2 park choices. And with only 2 days, Commando from rope drop until they forcibly kick you out.

Wow guys that's incredible advice! We will be going Oct 1 - 4th if that makes any difference? MK / EPCOT are definitely at the top of my wish list, but the fiance will surely have to agree haha

The Disney mini golf course Winter Summerland is a favorite arrival day activity for us. The theming is terrific and it puts us in the Disney frame of mind. Cost is very reasonable and if you booked a package (hotel/tickets), you might even have golf passes as one of the Magical Extras.

I agree that MK and Epcot would be my two choices for the parks.

Go the the Animal Kingdom lodge and walk around and look at the animals. Sit in a rocking chair on one of the overlooks just of the lobby and watch the animals.

We always do an off day were we do the pool for at least a portion of the day. If that's not your thing, then I would pick mini-golf at Winter-Summerland ( since it's close to your resort )

I second going to the AKL - the resort is beautiful and there and I could easily kill a few hours just looking around. The Mara is QS and from what I've read is very good.

DS has live entertainment throughout the day from what I've read so a bit of window shopping, lunch and music is always a fun afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter