What to do post Alaskan cruise

CyndiLouWho

DIS Veteran
We will be in Vancouver 2 days pre-cruise. Our flight home gives us another day post cruise. Not sure what to do that day. I booked a hotel near the airport because our flight was supposed to be an early one the day after disembarking. Now the flight is 12:45, so proximity to the airport isn’t such a big deal. So I’m second guessing my hotel choice and wondering if we should stay near the waterfront and then head to the airport the next day. Otherwise our choices are trek to hotel to check in and drop off luggage then probably back downtown to do stuff, or do a post cruise tour where they keep your luggage while you tour. Suggestions?

We will be in Vancouver 2 days pre-cruise. Our flight home gives us another day post cruise. Not sure what to do that day. I booked a hotel near the airport because our flight was supposed to be an early one the day after disembarking. Now the flight is 12:45, so proximity to the airport isn’t such a big deal. So I’m second guessing my hotel choice and wondering if we should stay near the waterfront and then head to the airport the next day. Otherwise our choices are trek to hotel to check in and drop off luggage then probably back downtown to do stuff, or do a post cruise tour where they keep your luggage while you tour. Suggestions?
There’s a company at the port that will hold your luggage and transfer it to your hotel later in the day. We did the hop on hop off bus tour after we got off the ship. Our luggage arrived at our hotel (Hampton Inn near the airport) by late afternoon as promised. We took the train to the hotel from the waterfront. All in all, it was a fun, relaxing day and much better for us to take an early morning flight home the day after we got off the ship instead of the red-eye. The luggage storage/transfer only cost $40 for 4 bags (in 2017).

You don't have to head "back downtown" to do stuff. You could just take a day and rest up. Or head out to Steveston (from the port, past airport, "other" side of town). It's a small artsy community, easy to take public transportation to.

There’s a company at the port that will hold your luggage and transfer it to your hotel later in the day. We did the hop on hop off bus tour after we got off the ship. Our luggage arrived at our hotel (Hampton Inn near the airport) by late afternoon as promised. We took the train to the hotel from the waterfront. All in all, it was a fun, relaxing day and much better for us to take an early morning flight home the day after we got off the ship instead of the red-eye. The luggage storage/transfer only cost $40 for 4 bags (in 2017).
Do you remember the name of the luggage transfer service?

Is this something that you arranged for before you went on your cruise? Do you remember the name of the company?

You don't have to head "back downtown" to do stuff. You could just take a day and rest up. Or head out to Steveston (from the port, past airport, "other" side of town). It's a small artsy community, easy to take public transportation to.
What types of activities are there?

Is this something that you arranged for before you went on your cruise? Do you remember the name of the company?
It was called CDS. it was right at the port when we got off. We did not arrange it beforehand; it was easy to just drop off the luggage and tell them where to send it. They will also send your luggage to the airport if your flight is later that day. Here is their website: http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/

Too bad you don't have enough time to get to Victoria, BC. We spent a week there a couple of years ago and loved it. Lots for kids to do, too...bug zoo, petting zoo in park, Burchard Gardens, miniature museum, feed the seals at Fisherman's Warf, British Museum and macaroons.

Too bad you don't have enough time to get to Victoria, BC. We spent a week there a couple of years ago and loved it. Lots for kids to do, too...bug zoo, petting zoo in park, Burchard Gardens, miniature museum, feed the seals at Fisherman's Warf, British Museum and macaroons.
Heck, I don’t even think we’ll have time to do Vancouver justice. There’s always next time.

What are you planning to do when you are in Vancouver before your cruise? We spent 2 days at Whistler, and 2 days in Vancouver, and it was great. I would recommend a drive up toward Whistler, even if you don't go all the way up there. The Sea to Sky highway is one of the most stunning drives I have ever done. Whistler is 2 hours away, with lots of cool hiking and sightseeing along the way. I would use at least one of the 2 days pre-cruise to explore Sea to Sky, then you can use another day or two to explore Stanley Park on bikes and on foot.

Drive to/from Whistler and Whistler:

47595058342_7c8cd9d5f0_k.jpg

33770469688_07db23d5d7_k.jpg

33770469688_07db23d5d7_k.jpg

33770470848_b719df3a4c_k.jpg

33770471968_8a2e857811_k.jpg

33770472408_ba42edc849_k.jpg

33770472838_7f86f49344_k.jpg

47647939211_93b08283bf_z.jpg

Stanley Park (Vancouver):

33770606018_1532978e3a_k.jpg

40681412653_c6c54089d5_k.jpg

40681411573_7628c3d645_k.jpg

33770605268_a5a32495d6_k.jpg

If you are staying in Richmond, have dinner or late night snacks at the Flying Beaver, it’s on the water and they get great views plus yummy wings. Steveston is also an excellent place to explore, you can easily spend hours there. Walk along the water,
Eat delicious food, check out the Cannery and look at the history of some of the roots of Japanese Canadians in the city...shop for souvenirs... eat! You can even book whale watching tours. You can rent bikes, check out a big playground and water spray park if you have kids. Lots to do. I love Steveston.

What are you planning to do when you are in Vancouver before your cruise? We spent 2 days at Whistler, and 2 days in Vancouver, and it was great. I would recommend a drive up toward Whistler, even if you don't go all the way up there. The Sea to Sky highway is one of the most stunning drives I have ever done. Whistler is 2 hours away, with lots of cool hiking and sightseeing along the way. I would use at least one of the 2 days pre-cruise to explore Sea to Sky, then you can use another day or two to explore Stanley Park on bikes and on foot.

Drive to/from Whistler and Whistler:

If you are staying in Richmond, have dinner or late night snacks at the Flying Beaver, it’s on the water and they get great views plus yummy wings. Steveston is also an excellent place to explore, you can easily spend hours there. Walk along the water,
Eat delicious food, check out the Cannery and look at the history of some of the roots of Japanese Canadians in the city...shop for souvenirs... eat! You can even book whale watching tours. You can rent bikes, check out a big playground and water spray park if you have kids. Lots to do. I love Steveston.
We won’t be renting a car. Pre-cruise we will be exploring Chinatown, Stanley Park, the market, possibly Capilano Suspension bridge. Steveston sound nice but we will do whale watching and hiking on the cruise and I can’t ride a bike; shopping is not our thing. Eating, now that’s appealing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter