What to do w/older kids?

BrennyK

Earning My Ears
Our 1st WDW trip is mid-October. We have DD 12, DD10, DS14. I'm trying to plan as much in advance as I can. Since we don't get to FL until 2:00, we're not doing parks the 1st day. I figured DQ that day, and we have ressie for Illuminations that night. I haven't yet completely planned the rest of my itinarary, yikes!

My question is, besides the rides, what is there "special" to do with older kids? :confused:

I hear of character meals, family tours, etc., but these seemed geared towards the younger kids. Since this is our 1st trip I want it to be really special for our kids! So please, all you very knowledgeable people, HELP!:D

Whatever you are doing! OK, too simple of an answer, huh? One thing that I know from being a 12-14 yo child at Disney is that I found nothing "too childish" to do. We are all about 8 yo when we go to Disney (maybe that's why we forget to eat meals and fill up on Dole Whips ;) )

Seriously, I wouldn't bee too concerned. I've seen families with teens do quite well at WDW and everyone seems to have fun. Maybe you could let them each take a turn at being "tour guide" of the day and be in charge of the map and selecting the next activity or attraction.

You might also pose this question over on the teen board. I've posted questions there and the teens are honest and willing to share their experiences!

:earsgirl:

There are a ton of things to do, and DQ is a great start! At that age my cousin and I also enjoyed renting water mice boats for an hour, and exploring on our own. We were often allowed to split off from the parents for a few hours at a time. We would ride Space Mountain as many times in a row as we could... that kind of thing. We always had set times to meet up, and as long as we were on time we were allowed to continue doing our own thing.

What do you mean when you say you have reservations for Illuminations the first night? Is this something you're doing outside the park? If so, I need to know about it! We're not doing a park our first day either, and not doing EPCOT at all this trip.

If it's something inside the park and you have to use a pass day to get in, you may as well go on in to a park earlier. Your kids will love Test Track at EPCOT, or you could go to MGM for a while and hit Tower of Terror, RockNRoller Coaster, Star Tours, etc.

We reserved a boat to go and see the Illuminations cruise. We meet at the Boardwalk to catch the boat. I think we cruise around a little, then go and park under the bridge where we watch the fireworks. Then the boat drops us back off at the Boardwalk. We don't have to go into Epcot to do this.

Let them wander off a bit by themselves. Bring walkie talkies and be sure one of them has a watch, plan on meeting them somewhere in about 1-2 hours.

Don't worry about them being alone and going on rides by themselves. Seriously, which is safer, letting them wander around town or letting them wander around WDW? WDW has lots of security and everyone is quite nice, so I wouldn't worry a lot.

Be sure to spend a lot of time in MGM, that's probably the park they'll like the most.

AND DON'T MAKE THEM SHARE A ROOM WITH YOUNGER SIBLINGS THEY DON'T LIKE!

It ruins the whole trip.

How about spending one day in one of the water parks? Older children seem to love them, especially the thrilling slides and plunges in Blizzard Beach. Downtown Disney will always keep
young and old occupied, between the shops, restaurants, Disney Quest, and the Virgin Megastore. Have a great time!

Thanks for all the ideas! I guess since my kids are "older" things do seem kind of "childish." Frankly I'm the oldest one and I think I'm looking forward to it more than anyone!:D

By the way, how are the water parks in mid-October? Is the water really cold? Or is it heated? I thought they would be too cold and hadn't intended to do any on this trip.

Counting down and getting really really excited!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

We have gone to Blizzard Beach in November for the past 2 years and it was wonderful! The water is very warm (I am a total weenie about cold water). Make sure you do the family raft ride, it is a blast!

My DD's are 12 and 7, and while the 7-year old is totally excited, the 12 year old seems blase about it all...but I have a feeling that once she's back she'll be swept up by it all! I"m definitely going to give her more independence there but unfortunately (perhaps in her point of view) she will only have the company of her little sister and younger male cousin...I hope she has a good time.

My 12 yr. old DD seems a little more excited since I got my passporter. She gets into it looking at the rides and which she wants to go on. It's putting her more in the Disney mood! This is good since we leave in 3 wks! And since this is our first time, everything is new! I'm going to take this boards advice and book time for Blizzard Beach. As long as the water is warm, it should be a blast! I know they all love the mini water parks here!

My kids (16,13,11) absolutely LOVE DQ. They go there every day of our trip (that's why we got PAP's). They also enjoy mini-golf and the mouseboats.

There are so many things for every age to enjoy.

-Disney Quest will be great for them.
-Mini golf is fun.
-Walking around Downtown Disney or Disney's West Side.
-You can all rent bikes at Fort Wilderness.
-You can rent water mice at the Contemporary, Fort Wilderness or the Wilderness Lodge. They would love that.
-Just a day at the pool.
-Kids absolutely love the water parks.

Having a 2-way radio or walkie talkie is a good idea, but sometimes signals get crossed with others.

My DD's are 13, 10 & 10 (twins) & they beg us to go back to WDW continually. Won't they be surprised in about 4 weeks when we pick them up from school & go to the airport for a surprise WDW trip!! I can't wait.

We just got back this past Saturday and I have a DS 12 and a DD 14. I didn't have to do to much to keep them busy. We were fortunate that the parks stayed open that week until 8:00, so by the time we stayed all day at the parks we were all exhausted. On our "down" nights, we did Downtown Disney and the Citywalk, had a good time there too. Actually did DD the first night we got there, as we didn't want to waste a day's pass on just half a day, this way I figured I'd get them syked for what was to come.

We also did Blizzard Beach one day, and my kids just loved that. Did all the stuff with them, then let them go off on there own for awhile. I also did that in magic kingdom one day, gave them walkie talkies and off they went.

I wouldn't worry about them not having fun, I think you will all have a blast no matter what you do. Enjoy, wish I was going back already!!!

Kim

PS This was our first trip too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter