What to do with figs

donaldduck352

<font color=red><marquee>Proud Redhead</marquee><b
I need help.My fig tree fruits are about ripe.They are turning slightly red.When is the best time to pick?What do I do to preserve them?
I love figs and this tree is huge and finally bearing fruit.Any help would be appreciated!!!

Got alot of views on this post,but no answer.:confused3
I just been taking the figs when they are almost red,wash them and peel the shell too eat.I get at least 2doz a week at of this tree this way.And its still producing.Seems like if I pick one I got 3 popping up in its place.I do have too beat the birds and squirlles to them tho!!:)

Try doing some preserves / jellies. Mom made the best back in the day. Kept many a mason jar around every summer. (Sadly, I never got her recipe)
Had a huge tree back home & snacked on figs frequently. Best at the red / purpleish stage.
Found this recipe @ recipezaar. No idea if as good as Moms' tho!
Good Luck!

Fig Preserves

Ingredients
2 lbs figs, unpeeled
3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1/2 lemon, sliced thin

Directions
1Wash figs gently in cold water.
2Place in a large bowl, fill with cool water and soak for 20 minutes.
3Make a syrup by boiling the sugar and water together in a large saucepan.
4When syrup is clear and just thick, around 15 minutes add figs and lemon slices.
5Bring to a boil over high heat.
6Boil hard 1 minute.
7Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
8Remove from heat.
9Carefully pour into a blender and pulse to grind figs and lemon slices.
10You may want to cook down for 10 or 15 more minutes to desired thickness.
11Ladle into clean hot sterile jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter