What to Expect-- San Jose to Disneyland Drive

Dchef

Mouseketeer
We decided to go to DL very last minute, and had tickiets bought already for San Jose because we are going to Monterey after Disney. We know its a lot of driving but for 3 days in DL it is worth it to us. What can we expect on the drive down to DL? What is traffic "really" like? Are people in Cal. really insane drivers (helps to know ahead of time to determine who will drive) and will I have my face in my hands the whole time holding my breath?
Is there are good or bad route to take or an alternative that maybe we should consider even if it means a longer trip? We are leaving first thing in the morning from San Jose and have the entire day to get there. Planning DL the next three days after. Any thoughts would be great help. I have been to LA once and wasn't driving and it was FOREVER ago,
Thanks a bunch

To make the trip a little quicker, you might want to cut over from the 101 to the 5, by using the 43 (I think that's the number) in Paso Robles (drops you onto the 5 at Lost Hills). That should cut an hour or two out of the drive. So, you might get there in around 6 or 7 hours at normal driving speeds. If you're driving down on a weekday, you'll hit bad traffic if you come through LA in the morning or evening rush hours. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any major problems. People aren't as crazy as the reputation LA seems to have - just be smart and pay attention (there are some real morons on the road lately, so just keep your head up). If you're driving slower than most traffic, keep to the right hand lanes and get out of the way of faster cars whenever you can (but don't panic about it). You'll be fine.

Awesome--I guess our main concern is when we get close to LA. We will head out about 9am so YES we will hit it at an aweful time of day--maybe we can get out at 7:30 get breakfast to go. Is there a way around LA we might consider coming in Southwest perhaps to Anaheim? If I take 210 around on the east side and then west--how far out of the way is that when traffic is considered? Sorry about all fo the questions but I am trying to NOT have to drive through LA if possible.

I am trying th think how it was when we drove there...

I think it took us approx 6 hours plus an hour ish for breaks / lunch. We went down the 5 which was fine. Try and make an early start if possible (7am) and just get there as quick as you can. If you leave San Jose at rush hour, the 101 has a carpool lane for a while - usually where the traffic is bad, so the drive is usually OK if you have 2 or more in your car. The drive was pretty long, straight and monotonous, but generally able to travel fast.

I think we had worse traffic when we were leaving :-(

We usually take 101 to 152 East (at Gilroy) to I-5. We have made it to Anaheim by 3:30, leaving San Jose at 9:00 AM and stopping once or twice at the boring yet useful rest stops along the way. What day of the week are you leaving? We usually drive on Sundays.

Traffic will be good up until Magic Mountain, and then it will slow and go. One year, we were like 10 miles from Anaheim and it took 30 minutes. Ugh. Those last few miles are painful.

Two years ago, we were coming back home and there was a huge accident on I-5 at Castaic. We saw signs while we were on I-5 and didn't know what to do. We ended up taking 101 North all the way home and it took 9 hours. I vowed never to drive again! But, we are going to try and do it in April or June this year....can't stay away too long and can't afford to fly.

Good luck, have a great trip!

I think the plan is to leave super early--though we arrive the night before by plane and don't get in until 9:30 and then rental car and such, so it will be hard to get up--guess we just won't unpack at all. I guess we are resigned to finding traffic. Since we are heading back to Monterey, we may take the 101 for the last bit. But truth is about our schedule is that our third day is actually Monday the same day we are heading back and we are planning on the park until about 3ish and then heading back.:car: I KNOW, its a long drive and traffic--thats why I am hear trying to get advice--we absolutely can't stay in Anaheim for Monday night and have to be in Monterey and we have an extra ticket that "YES" for my sanity --I have to use.:mickeyjum

I think you will be OK - SJ morning traffic may be bad like another posted mentioned but south of the airport it should open up for you.

I definitely recommend coming across either 152 in Gilroy (though this mountain pass can be crowded) or 41 just north of Bakersfield. That would get you to I-5. The coastal route is beautiful but if time is important I would leave that for your drive back north. If you can get through LA by about 3:30 pm you should be good to go. But that being said, if you find traffic reports are not in your favor, the jog over to 210 is easy and will not take you too far out of your way. 210 to 57 to Ball Road.

Good luck and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter