What To Pack for the Plane???

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
We're taking our one-year-old to WDW in August and I know I'm going to need a slew of things to use to distract ME from the fact that I'm in a plane 30000 feet in the air. What kinds of things should I pack to help me entertain the baby/distract me?

So far I've thought of:

Books to read to him
Pictures of WDW that I'll put in a small album to show him
Small CD player with Disney CD
Toys that the baby is playing with at the time

What else do you recommend?? Our flight only takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes, but I still get very nervous. Any suggestions???? Thank you!!!!

Don't forget the snacks. I was planning on bringing a small coloring book with crayons for my 15 month old. He has the coloring motion right (moves the hand back and forth) but doesn't always have his hand on the paper. Maybe a small travel magnadoodle. Some people have mentioned small cans of playdough (I guess depending if he plays with it or eats it).

We brought stickers and a sticker book so dd could stick them on and peel them off. Also, we brought lollipops. I know that a one-year old is kind of young for them, (ours was 15-mos.--I never would have given them when my oldest was that age, but this was #3, you do things differently, lol!!). A couple of new toys is a good idea, something different that will catch her interest. Also, a small bottle of bubbles definitely works wonders with a one-year old. Under our dr's advice, we gave tylenol one hour before takeoff (for ears), and I think it actually knocked her out for about an hour. Have fun!

Snacks and something to drink with a straw is great for the ears or even a bottle if appropriate. Try and time the drink with takeoff and landing to help with the ears. Chewey snacks can also work if they arn't into drinking.

Small toys, some familiar and some new, perhaps color wondor or a travel magnadoodle. My youngest played with a roll of tape and some notebook paper for over an hour one trip! You never really know which thing will catch their attention so I tend to bring too much :-)

We usually check out the party isle, the party store or dollar store for small interesting new stuff. The cheaper the better, if it hits the floor you usually can't retreive it (and wouldn't want to if you could). I also save happy meal toys for the airplaine - both Mc's and BK have toddler toys. My sil actually went and purchased a few before a flight (sans meals!).

TJ

We have this little magnadoodle type thing that is shaped like Blue's Clues notebook and there are stamps that come with it to stamp on the notebook. My son loves it.

We also bring pipe cleaners because they are light, cheap and can be thrown away. My son loves to string cheerios on them. Also we bring the Cheerios book - the one where you can put Cheerios in the little holes.

LOTS and LOTS of animal crackers!

A piece of masking tape can keep a little one occupied for quite a while. :-)

Make sure you bring food and water. You never know when you might get stuck on the plane for some reason or another. When we were coming back from Florida we sat on the runway for over an hour because somehow a person boarded without showing their pass and they couldn't figure out who the extra person was. We ended up all having to get up and show our passes while they checked us off one by one. Took quite a long time until they figured it out. Another time they were missing some sort of safety sticker and we had to wait another hour while they were bringing it out of the terminal. Not saying this is common, but we fly quite often and this is just two of the problems we have run into. My kids are older 8-12 so it is not such an issue. For the missing boarding pass I had carried on two dozen boxes of Krispy Kremes and I think we all ate three apiece on that flight! It was over lunch time and they weren't serving food. I also carry a big supply of blow pops and I pass them out not only to my kids, but other antsy kids. We were quite popular on one flight, even the grown-ups were yelling out "Got any Sour Apple?"

This may or may not apply to your baby but if he uses a pacifier bring a few extra. We lost one early in our trip then another at Animal Kingdom. Had a hard time finding the right one for ds.
You wouldn't think shape matters so much! Bring extras!
I always pack a ziploc of ziplocs too. Great for those snacks you get that never get finished.
Oh...and a damp washcloth...clean on take off of course. It can be used for clean up or entertainment. I usually take one of these in a ziploc to the parks too. Feels great after being under cool water (Use bathroom sinks and not drinking fountians for cloths please):eek:

The last time we went, my ds was 13 months old. I brought all sorts of toys, snacks, etc.. and the thing he loved the most was playing with the telephone on the seatback in front of him. He played with it, do something else, and then go back to it.

Keep that in mind when all else fails!

If your one year old likes to color, see if you can pick up some Color Wonder markers and Paper. Very cool stuff from crayola. The markers are clear to look at, and do not write on ANYTHING except the paper made especially for them. It might also help keep the baby busy, because it is 'like magic' you make a marker stroke and it takes a second for the color to show up. Very cool.

Snacks.

Masking tape, my son LOVED to play with tape when he was a baby.

Snacks

A small stuffed animal or lovey if he uses one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter