What type of car??

DisdreamerUK

Earning My Ears
Hi from the UK..............

We're coming over in April 2007, flying into San Fran and then driving down to LA & San Diego via Monterey & Pismo Beach.

My question is what type of car should we hire? There's 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 kids. Will it be warm enough for a convertible or would a SUV be better? :confused3

Thanks for the advice, Jen :wave:

Gosh, with gas prices the way they are i would skip the SUV! I would also say that it would be too chilly for a convertible.....but that is based on my thermostat! The other thing about convertibles is when the top is up they tend to have very poor visibility through the back windows.
A 4 door sedan might be the best bet.

Considering how cheap fuel is in the US compared to here (app 51p per litre) I'd go for the SUV as it gives you plenty of room and you are higher up so can see more. We had one last month just for the two of us and it was so much easier to get the cases in and out compared to the saloon we had in 2003. As for a convertible luggage space would be very very small with 4 of you.

Claire ;)

With the weak dollar and cheap gas prices, you can get an SUV and not notice the cost. Especially in California, roads and parking lots tend to accomodate them easily. Outside of big cities, there isn't even parallel parking.
I personally find sedans much more comfortable for extended driving (SUVs are trucks and drive like it), you may not agree. However, an SUV does not have the advantage of a locking truck inaccessible to prying eyes. One of my friends was parked in a multi-story garage in San Francisco this month, and thieves broke in and stole items that were visible inside. The other issue is that a small SUV (Hertz will usually rent a Ford Escape) has a smaller cargo area than a full-size car. The Escape in particular has a pretty small trunk. Depends on how much luggage you have and how much you value the ease of getting stuff in and out of the trunk.

Walt

We just completed a similar trip last month. We had originally reserved a Dodge Magnum but they were out, so they offered a Chrysler Town & Country. We were very happy with this car. Lots of cargo space plus it was very comfortable. We were 4, my DH & 2 teen DDs. They liked that they each had individual seats that reclined. This turned out to be a blessing since we were in the car ALOT! I think it only got about 20 MPG but it really wasn't too bad.

Sorry should clarify I was talking about a Jeep, and has been mentioned yes there is no hidden area for luggage but to be honest we didn't really stop anywhere with luggage and when we did it was for a very short period of time and in a very busy area.

Claire ;)

Thanks everyone.............. :teeth:

I did think a convertible would be a bit small for 4 of us, will wait for that treat when the kids have flown the nest!!!

Will probably go for a SUV or minivan then.

We are staying in SF for 4 days without the car and then collecting it for our journey to LA. Where would be the easiest place to pick it up from?
Fishermans Wharf or the Airport?? :confused3

We don't want to get lost for hours on the streets of San Francisco!!!!

Cheers, Jen

DisdreamerUK said:
Thanks everyone.............. :teeth:

I did think a convertible would be a bit small for 4 of us, will wait for that treat when the kids have flown the nest!!!

Will probably go for a SUV or minivan then.

We are staying in SF for 4 days without the car and then collecting it for our journey to LA. Where would be the easiest place to pick it up from?
Fishermans Wharf or the Airport?? :confused3

We don't want to get lost for hours on the streets of San Francisco!!!!

Cheers, Jen

If you are going down Route 1 pick up in SF, it if very difficult to get lost there, a popout map is a veyr useful tool to help you. We have now driven round SF twice, 2003 and 2006 for 5 days and never had a problem.

Claire ;)

Our family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers recently did 10 days in California quite comfortably in a Chevy Impala. We did a lot of driving and never felt cramped. The trunk was bit tight but only because we seriously overpacked. Paid $162 for the rental through National.

have fun!

barrel

I would go with the SUV. We drive from the SFO area to DL/SD every year or so. It's a long drive and better with all that space for you and your luggage. It's over 100 degrees here now, but that is not normal for summer.

San Francisco Airport is not actually in SF, so it could cost you a bit of money to get out to the airport to rent a car. Also, depending on which highway you are planning to drive down, it could be quite out of your way as well. You may want to just rent the car in the city when you are ready to leave and go south.

Monterey is lovely this time of year -- hope you have a great trip!

Truthfully, if your staying on the Wharf for 4 days, take BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from the Airport to the Embarcadero. From that station, catch a cab to the hotel, then rent a car after your 4 days in SF (Parking is very expensive, and there really isnt a need for a car). What hotel do you have in mind for Fisherman's Wharf? Most of them are within walking distance of the Avis or Hertz location (located around Columbus & North Point) or the Budget location in the Hyatt Fishermans Wharf. Also, rental rates are usually cheaper in the city, because they exclude costly facility fee's and taxes that the airport charges....

Hi Disneyjosh.. :)

We're not going to collect the car until we leave SF, we heard about the astronomical car parking charges!!!!

We're staying at the Sheraton FWharf but had read somewhere that it was easier to collect car from the airport en route to LA, as its easier than trying to find your way out of the city.......... :rotfl:

Cheers, Jen

Disdreamer,
San Francisco is not that difficult to navigate, it's probably easier to pick up the car at the Hertz office four blocks from your hotel and drive. Sure, the drivers are a little crazy and you'll be on the wrong side of the road, but speaking as a suburban driver I don't have that much of a problem. You'll just be making an easy trip down the Embarcadero, not anywhere with those horrible steep hills that it feels like you're about to fall off of. In fact, you'll only have to make three turns to get on I-280 south and be out of city traffic altogether, at least according to these directions from Google Maps.
You will save a bundle in fees, San Francisco is one of the most expensive airports in the nation.

Walt

You do not need a car in S.F.
Plus, the overnight carparks are very expensive.

Woody

If you decide to use Route 1 (scenic route) from SF to LA, make sure that you check that there is no closure due to weather (rain). It happens occasionally in the area of Big Sur , south of Carmel. Once you are in Big Sur there are no easy way to get back to Hwy 101 unless you backtrack.

Check before you leave.

Taz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!