What was your experience with Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos ABD

Travel junkie

Earning My Ears
Hi fellow travelers, just looking for some feedback. We have done a few ABD trips: Switzerland/Italy, Alaska, Australia, Costa Rica. We are booked for Italy this summer, but already know we want to take a break from Europe in 2019. We were really excited when we heard about Japan coming in 2019, but the other SE Asia has been high on my bucket list as well. Now we are wondering if we should wait on Japan trip and plan for SE Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos) for 2019. And, I don’t mean to get anyone excited, I haven’t seen any 2019 dates out yet . Just looking for thoughts on your SE Asia experience? By 2019 it will be myself, hubby, and two kids (11 yo and 10yo). The kids have done all the ABD trips with us and travel fairly well, I’m the one who got tired on the rush of Australia. I’m hoping there is some downtime build in SE Asia trip for me to wander the markets, sketch, and take some photos instead of rushing activity to activity. Thanks in advance.

I loved, loved, loved our SE Asia ABD (2016). I found it a great taste of the countries and I hope to go back to explore more. I don't recall a lot of downtime, but of course each person's interpretation of "enough" down time is different. This may be because it was so hot that whenever we had down time I collapsed in a puddle of my own sweat. We had time as a family to swim in the hotel pools, have clothes made in Vietnam and to have family photos done at Angkor. If I were planning that same trip again I would stay longer after the trip was completed to just wander. My kids were older, but there were several similar in age to your kids who appeared to have a good time.

My daughter and I went on the ABD Italy trip a long time ago, and we went on ABD SE Asia in 2016. We absolutely adored the trip. I have traveled all over Europe and Asia is just totally different and unique. This trip goes to so many different places that are all fascinating, the food was excellent, and Angor is just beyond all expectation. I wish we had stayed an extra day at the end to continue our exploration of it. I think you will love this trip! There is some down time and I think your kids are a great age for this. We are heading to China this summer. I also think as expensive as ABD is you really get your moneys worth in Asia, because unlike Europe it would be very difficult to do on your own.

I loved, loved, loved our SE Asia ABD (2016). I found it a great taste of the countries and I hope to go back to explore more. I don't recall a lot of downtime, but of course each person's interpretation of "enough" down time is different. This may be because it was so hot that whenever we had down time I collapsed in a puddle of my own sweat. We had time as a family to swim in the hotel pools, have clothes made in Vietnam and to have family photos done at Angkor. If I were planning that same trip again I would stay longer after the trip was completed to just wander. My kids were older, but there were several similar in age to your kids who appeared to have a good time.
Thank you for the info. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! And what a fabulous idea to have family photos at Angkor! I’ll have to keep that in mind so we plan accordingly.

My daughter and I went on the ABD Italy trip a long time ago, and we went on ABD SE Asia in 2016. We absolutely adored the trip. I have traveled all over Europe and Asia is just totally different and unique. This trip goes to so many different places that are all fascinating, the food was excellent, and Angor is just beyond all expectation. I wish we had stayed an extra day at the end to continue our exploration of it. I think you will love this trip! There is some down time and I think your kids are a great age for this. We are heading to China this summer. I also think as expensive as ABD is you really get your moneys worth in Asia, because unlike Europe it would be very difficult to do on your own.
Thank you for the information. Your upcoming China trip is going to be awesome! We have met a few families who have said that was one of their favorites. . I’m so glad the SE Asia trip was a positive experience. I think we are seriously considering it for 2019. And we may add an extra day at end like you recommended.

SE Asia is still one of my favorites after 10 ABDs. I'd love to repeat it. Like all ABD's it's full of activities, but we did enjoy downtime in Hoi An at the pool and going into town for dinner and seeing the lanterns. Hanoi we went over to the main city park in late afternoon. We enjoyed the night market in Laos and went back in the early evening for better photos in Angkor Wat. Really an amazing ABD.

SE Asia is still one of my favorites after 10 ABDs. I'd love to repeat it. Like all ABD's it's full of activities, but we did enjoy downtime in Hoi An at the pool and going into town for dinner and seeing the lanterns. Hanoi we went over to the main city park in late afternoon. We enjoyed the night market in Laos and went back in the early evening for better photos in Angkor Wat. Really an amazing ABD.
Thank you! Years ago, before kids, my husband and I had gone to Thailand. One of my favorite travel memories to this day is walking and people watching (and shopping) at the night markets. I’m so excited to know I may be able to repeat the experience with the kids.

We've done 15 ABDs and SE Asia is one of our top of the list for repeats! It's an amazing immersion in culture, new foods, friendly people, and a whole different world in general! We did China as well and found the SE Asia trip to be much more to our liking. Glad we did China, but SE Asia is one we would do again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter