What was your first memory?

meaty

Mouseketeer
Just remembered an old memory of my mum going to work and telling my brother to take a pizza out of the oven in 15 minutes.

I remember being asked if I wanted to take two years of kindergarten or one. We had a sucken den behind the dining room/kitchen, and I was sitting on the two steps that led down, and I was bumping my butt down each step. And I recall that the carpet back there was an ugly shag maroon.

Mind you, I don't recall if I said yes, I wanted to do both junior and senior kindergarten. lol

Last edited:
My parents divorced when I was a preschooler, so I have few memories of my mother and father together. One memory, which I've decided is the earliest, comes from that time period. Mom showed me a Slinky, and I thought it was the coolest thing of all time and wanted to show my dad. Mom said, "Daddy's in the bathtub," but I couldn't wait so I ran into the bathroom. He sat up in the bathtub and acted like he was really interested.

I couldn't have been much older than 3.

I can remember being in England and Fiji with my parents. I was about 3 for both.

I can remember when I was 2.5yrs old and my mom had nearly died from pneumonia and she was able to come home on Christmas and I was sleeping on the couch and woke up to her face and it scared me because I was not expecting her to be sitting there when I opened my eyes.
The next memory that I can recall is going to preschool for the first time.
I was excited to take a bus and then a cab showed up because there was some mix up and the bus was being used already and then we came to a dead end and at age 3 I thought that had to do with dying so I cried lol.

It's hard to know which is my earliest memory but I was very, very young, maybe 2.5-3 years old. Like rastahomie my parents split when I was quite little, sis just a baby. One of my earliest was pulling the Christmas tree down and apparently cutting myself. I remember my mom saying, "I think she might need stitches," and me running away from my grandma because I thought they were going to sew me up with a needle and thread. Thinking about it years later and some of the shenanigans my mother and grandmother pulled (painting my Dad's Mustang with housepaint!) I realized that idea may not have been so far fetched.

Another was being in my room and banging on the door crying to get out. My mom finally came in and got and brought me into my parents bedroom. Dad wasn't wearing a shirt and I was fascinated by all his freckles. I kept asking about my little sister. I was worried about her being in the room alone. These memories have to be when my folks were still married because my mother left and I didn't see her again until I was 6 or 7.

We lived with my dad's parents when my folks split. I have many memories of my grandpa. People used to say I was too young to remember him and I was just remembering what I was told about him but many are very specific to it being just him, myself and my sister. I have a memory of my grandma running out of the basement of the house they were building screaming and crying. It wasn't until I was grown that I realized that was the day grandpa died. I was four.

I was 2.5 and with my Mom and newborn brother. We were at the Sibley Park Zoo in Mankato, MN. We were driving up a really big hill and I was afraid. (It shrunk a lot over time. ;)) I remember feeling sad for the animals in cages. Not long after, there was a really bad flood and all the animals died. It's now just a park.

I remember being 3, with my baby sister in my lap, sitting on the floor of my grandparents' house posing for a photo. I think it may have been Easter. My great-grandfather was standing behind whoever was taking the photo going, "smile! Smile!"

This is also the only memory I have of him as he passed away that same year.

I'm not 100% sure it's my earliest memory, but it's pretty early. I was playing in our living room behind the curtains and I guess I was fiddling with the electrical outlet and I got zapped. First and last time I ever did that!

This was before they had covers and such to baby proof everything. It's amazing any of us survived! ;)

I'm not certain. I've got a couple foggy memories that I'm not exactly sure when they happened. I know there's one where I was climbing out of a crib (I recall knowing that I was not supposed to be doing that), entering a hallway, and looking down the hall to where my grandmother was cooking in the kitchen. Years later, I asked my mom about the house layout from my memory, and she confirmed that was how my grandparents' old house (that they sold when I was about 3.5) was situated

It was the summer before I turned 4, I think. We went to a petting zoo and I was wearing blue shorts and a white shirt. We ate sandwiches at a picnic table. I was sad because I wanted to pet all the bunnies, but I had to eat my sandwich instead.

Another early one was staring up at the sky after Christmas Eve mass- I had on my fancy winter coat with my fur muff and hat. It was really cold, and I saw Rudolph's red nose in the sky!! I must have been 3 going on 4 then.

I remember for sure events while living in Portland, Or. There was one incident were I was crossing a creek with my father to go to the store I believe. I would have been around 3.

I might recall being in a small bed, where spinning decoration fish were above me. It doesn't seem possible as I would have been quite young then.

About three years old?
Our house flooded; I remember running down the hallway over green, squishy wet carpet, crying, "Mommy! There's worms in my closet!"

I was four, and checked out the back yard of our first home in Ontario.

My eldest son says he remembers standing up in his crib. I'd hoped he was actually remembering his younger brother, because if he in fact does than that means he remembers stuff that we did as newbee parents with our first born! Yikes!!

Last edited:
I remember playing with big cardboard boxes in the yard of a house that I lived in between the ages of 3 and 6.

My family lived in my aunt's basement apartment until I was three, but we spent a lot of time "upstairs." My aunt had a small-screen large console TV and I was lying on the sofa, drinking a bottle of milk and watching some farm show when the farmer began to feed a baby animal (goat, lamb?) with a bottle! I looked at the TV, looked at my bottle, made the connection, and promptly threw my bottle across the room, never to have another one. I think I was about two years old at the time.

Queen Colleen

Watching Apollo 11 land on the moon. We watched at my grandma's house and her TV was in my mom's old bedroom. That was the only place it could get reception, haha. I was 3 at the time.

I also remember watching news footage every night of the Vietnam War.

I was 3 or 4 hiding in the big lilac bush in our backyard while my Mom was screaming my name & panicking. Giggling the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter