What was your non-STEM major and what is your job?

bjscheel

(Avatar art by my daughter)
DD16 is all into looking at colleges and majors. Currently her first choice of major would be theater, but I am iffy on that and she knows it. She is a good student and gets A's in math and science but has NO interest in majoring/working in those areas. English is a strong suit. She doesn't think she would like to be a teacher, or have a job sitting at a computer all day. Flight attendant interests her, as well as travel blogger :laughing:

So, tell me if you have similar interests what your major was and what job you ended up in.

My major was English. At the beginning of my career, I worked in journalism, as an editor for magazines. I then moved into content marketing, and now I work in PR. All my jobs have involved lots of writing and travel, both of which I love!

I am also an English major. I never worked in a job that made use of it at all.

I worked for an in home care agency doing HR and billing/payroll.

I then worked for a couple years as a diamond grader in the GIA laboratory in Southern CA.

I then had my kids and quit to be a stay at home mom.

I do work part time as an at home scorer for Pearson. I grade elementary level English Language Arts standardized test written responses. So, I guess that job technically makes use of my degree although not really.

If your daughter is good at English, major in it. She will likely get good grades and thus have a high GPA, giving her an edge if she decides to go to graduate school.

Last edited:
Another English major who didn't want to teach, went right on for my master's in library science (which I wouldn't recommend anymore). I work in a college library, but agree with your daughter, travel writer sounds fabulous!

My cousin, another English major who didn't want to teach, went to law school.

Terri

Honestly I know a few theatre majors who were *not* actors who have had very satisfying careers in theatre. One in stagecraft, one in costuming. I also have a good friend who teaches theatre at the college level.

Terri

B.Comm - Economics. It really has less than nothing to do with my current career. I manage the Warranty Department for a high-volume home building company after having spent practically my entire working life in jobs related to residential construction.

Last edited:

I started out as an anthropology major-finished in 4 years with a BA in anthro and one in modern and classical languages-German and Russian emphasis. My plan at 18 was law school but life and reality got in the way. Ended up with an MA in political science but I work as a network engineer and technical manager for a defense contractor... life is like that

I majored in Chemistry and Philosophy. Used that to go to law school. The chemistry major was particularly useful (seriously). When I read what you wrote about her interest, I thought law might be a good fit....there's acting involved, it's a lot of theatrics, and people who do well in the math and science area have the logic skills which propel them to success in law school. :-)

My BFF's daughter became a flight attendant, and lasted for about 18 months. It's hard work, demanding hours, and dealing with an ungrateful and often hostile public. It's not for everyone that's for sure. Pay is poor too. Excellent travel benefits, although with flights booked as solid as they are, you are flying standby a lot and often can take an extra day or so to get where you want to be.

FWIW, a good friend from college who majored in Theater has spent his entire adult career working for Disney in park stage shows. He has been at WDW in a main singing role in the Lion King show for about 6 years now and prior to that, he was part of the opening cast at the Lion King show in Hong Kong, where he spent 10 years. He does commercial acting on the side in Central Florida. When he was in Hong Kong, the pay was apparently AMAZING...he was making six figures. In Orlando, he is making about 1/3 less.

I was a theater major, but never finished. My friend got her BA in Theater and now works in a box office for a local theater and helps run their children's theater division.

I was a musical theatre major in undergrad. It was a lot of fun. However, I didn't see myself working professionally as an actress once I neared graduation, so I decided to pursue graduate school. I work as a psychologist now.

I was a history major, and now I'm a copywriter (I don't write anything history-related). My sister-in-law is a copywriter for a travel company - not quite as cool as travel blogging, but still fun!

After getting my BA in English (Writing concentration) I worked as a paralegal in a law firm (our clients were securities).

While working I got a MA in Education and became a HS English teacher.

I’m now a stay-at-home mom.

Journalism major. Ended up going back and getting my Master's of Social Work. I now run an after school program.
Of my friends who studied journalism - a handful work in sports journalism, one is getting her Master's in Non-Fiction Writing, one works for a healthcare type of thing where they produce training content for hospitals to use (and other stuff that I don't know about).
A few of my friends studied film - all three are working in it (two in LA 1 in Boston).
One studied photojournalism - she's volunteering/working part time in a Library and talking about going back for her Master's in Library Science
I don't know a lot of theater majors, but the ones I know of work with kids.

After getting my BA in English (Writing concentration) I worked as a paralegal in a law firm (our clients were securities).

While working I got a MA in Education and became a HS English teacher.

I’m now a stay-at-home mom.
BA in English, writing concentration, worked in HR for several years before going back to school for a MA in special education. I got certified, but am still 2 classes short of my MA, ended up having a bunch a kids instead.

My undergrad was poli sci and Econ. Great use of English and math abilities. Mba in Econ. It took math and historical perspective. They pay me far too much and I've traveled far more than I ever thought I could. If you want to get into consulting, people pay you to get on planes. It's not always where you want to be, but you definitely discover the world.

DD16 is all into looking at colleges and majors. Currently her first choice of major would be theater, but I am iffy on that and she knows it. She is a good student and gets A's in math and science but has NO interest in majoring/working in those areas. English is a strong suit. She doesn't think she would like to be a teacher, or have a job sitting at a computer all day. Flight attendant interests her, as well as travel blogger :laughing:

So, tell me if you have similar interests what your major was and what job you ended up in.

My first major was Theatre, but I ended up switching to Fine Art instead. I now work as a scenic artist for theatre and theme parks.

I have a friend who is a flight attendant; he likes the pay and the ability to fly around the world. However he's said that he does get lonely because your coworkers are always different.

If your DD doesn't have her heart set on what she wants to do with her life (and really, how many people do at 16?), I would let her figure it out in college. I wouldn't push her into something she doesn't have a passion for. When she is in college, have her apply for internships in areas that interest her. My internships have been the most influential in my life so far, even moreso than my major.

My undergrad was poli sci and Econ. Great use of English and math abilities. Mba in Econ. It took math and historical perspective. They pay me far too much and I've traveled far more than I ever thought I could. If you want to get into consulting, people pay you to get on planes. It's not always where you want to be, but you definitely discover the world.

There are so many types of consulting. What type do you do?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter