What was your non-STEM major and what is your job?

All very interesting! She is the one antsy to figure this out. I didn't choose my major until halfway through my first year. And I know that so many people don't work in their major so it's good to hear real life situations. Last night she said no English! She is in AP Lit and sick of analyzing literature :). If anything besides Theater, she thinks Communications (for now anyway). But really she wants theater. My main concern is finding some place reasonably nearby and affordable :sad:

I think part of this is her sister being in college and though they're 2 years apart in school, and almost 3 years apart in age, DD16 has never been too far behind her sister so she feels like it time for her to figure out her next step too.

I double majored in Musical Theater and Communications- have a BA in both plus a minor in Music. For the first 2 years out of college I worked as a copy editor at a newspaper while doing community theater work on the side. I then went to work for a TV station as an editor/copywriter/asst. producer for 5 years- still involved in community theater. Then I had my DD and stayed home for a few years with her. When I went back into the workforce I became an event planner assistant (part-time) for a major chocolate company. After being there for about 5 years, I got promoted full time as the Executive Event Coordinator. I plan large scale events including training classes, seminars, trade shows, conferences, and use both my degrees: Theater in designing and coordinating the events (staging, lighting, rehearsals/run through) and communications (reviewing/writing contracts, writing up spec sheets, sending out invites, memos, etc). I've been doing this for about 8 years now and love it.

All very interesting! She is the one antsy to figure this out. I didn't choose my major until halfway through my first year. And I know that so many people don't work in their major so it's good to hear real life situations. Last night she said no English! She is in AP Lit and sick of analyzing literature :). If anything besides Theater, she thinks Communications (for now anyway). But really she wants theater. My main concern is finding some place reasonably nearby and affordable :sad:

I think part of this is her sister being in college and though they're 2 years apart in school, and almost 3 years apart in age, DD16 has never been too far behind her sister so she feels like it time for her to figure out her next step too.

I would definitely reassure her that figuring out her major is not the end-all and be-all of the world. I always felt that what you did in college solidified what you did for the rest of your life, but I realize now how wrong that is!

Is she involved in theatre now?

My major was Sociology, but I also took a lot of overlapping criminal justice classes. I am currently a counselor (case manager) for adult male offenders in a maximum security prison.

I would definitely reassure her that figuring out her major is not the end-all and be-all of the world. I always felt that what you did in college solidified what you did for the rest of your life, but I realize now how wrong that is!

Is she involved in theatre now?

So true!

Yes, she is involved in theater, just at school. Freshman year she was in the play, somewhat major role, and a short film for speech contest that went to All-State. Sophomore year she was Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors, and went to State in two events for Speech. This year she is in the school play- not the lead, but 2-3 other roles and apparently they added a part just for her that is currently a secret :confused3. I would say she is good, and probably the best singer/actress in our small school, but would not be getting lead roles at a large school. She has always since toddlerhood been very much into pretend play and her own fantasy world!

I can relate, I think my ds is getting stressed about not narrowing down what he wants to do. I keep telling him he's barely 17, he doesn't need to figure it out now. Still, these kids feel so much pressure as Juniors and Seniors in HS, it's really kind of sad.

We have a ton of kids in this area who plan on going into theater. My dd's boyfriend is going for set design, and my "niece" is interested in theater production. Dd has a bunch of friends in performing arts programs at a couple of our local colleges and universities.
Your dd will figure it out, it may take making some wrong decisions to know what she wants, but she'll get there.

If she's strong in science and English, communication sciences and disorders wouldn't be a stretch. She could then go onto grad school and become a Speech-Language Pathologist. If she works with the preschool population, imaginative play is STRONGLY encouraged.

I'm a Speech Path. It's a great career, and quite frankly, we are reaching critical shortage levels. The classes for the major are very science AND language based, but more grammar and language development...not analyzing literature. It DOES require a master's to become licensed and certified.

Got my masters in quantitative analysis and I currently am a financial analysis. I also write books in what a lit major would say is almost English.

Last edited:
I majored in history at UCLA. I originally wanted to be a lawyer. I ended up doing an internship as a recruiter at a record label during college, and fell in love with recruiting. I spent 10 years doing recruitment (mainly university recruitment) for a couple consulting and public accounting firms, and just made a switch to managing a career services department at a university. Not at all linked to what I studied! (Apart from a few HR classes I took via UCLA's extension program.)

Has your daughter looked at the suggested courses to be taken for any majors she might be interested in? That's often an eye opening experience for someone. I loved to read, but hated to "analyze to death", so my English major wasn't as fun as I thought it was going to be ;). OTOH, my master's in Library Science (K-12 emphasis) involved me reading hundreds of children's and young adult books, so that was fun :).

Your daughter should also look into summer camps at larger universities near you. DS went to two summers of them at the college he ended up attending. Even though he didn't go into that major, it helped him make connections, earn a scholarship, and realize that the campus was a great fit for him (even if he didn't know what he wanted to major in).

Terri

I too can relate to your post as I have a 17 Dd who also wants to major in theater or musical theater for College I was against it at first when she first approached the subject but watching her through all of the high school productions she has been in so far an seeing the passion she puts in it I feel she has to follow her passion. Good luck to you an your DD

I majored in Music Business. I love it and it is definitely my passion, but there are close to no jobs and I don't have the guts to move to a bigger city for more opportunity. I got a job after undergrad working in an office for a global risk solutions company and love it. It has absolutely nothing to do with music, and is honestly kind of boring, but I work with awesome people and have the most amazing boss, so I love going to work everyday.

If she's strong in science and English, communication sciences and disorders wouldn't be a stretch. She could then go onto grad school and become a Speech-Language Pathologist. If she works with the preschool population, imaginative play is STRONGLY encouraged.

I'm a Speech Path. It's a great career, and quite frankly, we are reaching critical shortage levels. The classes for the major are very science AND language based, but more grammar and language development...not analyzing literature. It DOES require a master's to become licensed and certified.
This sounds like a good field for your (OP) dd to go into, since it sounds like there is a shortage (if she might have an interest in something like this.)

Was a fine arts major. After collage I worked in the buying office of a major Dept Store. Rest of my career in customer service while doing little to no art work. RETIRED NOW. Im painting now constantly with great people. Cant get enough. Life seems to come full circle.

[QUOTEI'm a Speech Path. It's a great career, and quite frankly, we are reaching critical shortage levels. The classes for the major are very science AND language based, but more grammar and language development...not analyzing literature. It DOES require a master's to become licensed and certified.[/QUOTE]

It IS a great career but many people have no idea what a speech pathologist actually does. It's far more than merely working with a patient to help them regain speech. Far more! Had I not gone into nursing, this is a field I believe I'd have really liked.

I have a Masters in Education (Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment), and I work in a bank as a CSR. I have really enjoyed banking myself. I was a teacher for a long time, and used that experience to get into social work. Social work is definitely NOT a path I would recommend. I found my way into banking somehow after that. I have no background in finance or math, but I got hired into a bank and I really enjoy the work I do.

I also know a bank branch manager who has a degree in social work.

So yesterday she said vocal music education which I'm kind of excited about. We worked on some music theory from my old college workbook (accounting major, music minor) last night and tonight we worked on piano. Then on our walk tonight she proposed communications/theater plus travel/tourism :scratchin. I still like vocal music education myself. I know she was kind of skeptical of being a teacher but choir would not be the typical classroom. Plus I feel like she would be more likely to stay in the Midwest, whereas theater or tourism would possibly take her far away.

I offered her a college visit on the next day off school in a few weeks but can't decide where to go.

I am old, retired, and took virtually all STEM classes back in the days before they called it STEM. My career was spent in IT.

But I lived in London in 1970 managing a project to connect terminals in Europe to our US mainframes (unheard of back in the dark ages). I fell in love with theatre. I went like 4-5 nights a week. Theatre became a passion of mine. When I lived in the San Francisco Bay area prior to retirement I had season tickets at FIVE different theatres each year.

I also served on the board of one of the oldest continually operating regional theatres in the country. I do not act, sing, dance or direct, but I think I brought a lot to the table in terms of how to keep the theatre running and successful. Theatre is not all about just performing on stage. I don't know much about the current job market though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter