What were your experiences on the DP with

Tegra89

DIS Veteran
The Plaza Restaurant
Ohana
Kona Cafe
Concourse Steakhouse
Grand Floridian Cafe?

I have to choice 1 more TS and wondered what you experienced in these restaurants. Any info? Thanks!!!!

I have used it on most of these, except GF. I think using a TS credit for the Plaza is a waste of money. With entrees running about $10 and deserts under $5, I always pay OOP for the Plaza Restraurant. We are planning to try Coral Reef this time, which looks like a good use of a TS credit. Amazingly, I don't see LeCellier on your list, which is another good use of a TS credit. Other than that, your list looks alot like mine (except paying OOP for the Plaza Restraurant and OOP for Trail's End).

We used a TS credit at 'OHana's in October and we loved it. We had a 7:20 ADR and waited over 40 minutes to be seated. Without asking, we had a table near the windows with a wonderful Castle view.
We saw the Electrical Water Pageant from our table and then Wishes!!! It was a nice surprise.
We enjoyed the food too. The salad was delicious, the wontons and shrimp were good and I liked the wings alot. I loved the potatoes but DH and DS did not. They however enjoyed the vegtables and I didn't try any.
The skewers of meat were great too.
Our service was attentive and warm.
We will go again.

We used the Dining Plan last August. The Concourse Steakhouse was excellent and a great value using the plan. I know I am probably a minority, but I was not crazy about O'hana's. we have stayed at the Poly Concierge and I enjoyed the skewered beef and chicken there so much better than O'hana's. I agree with LeCellier being one of the best locations using the DP.
We are using the DP again this August and we are difinitely using it for LeCellier, Concourse Steakhouse and are going to try the Grand Floridian Cafe. I have to figure out the rest.

n2mm said:
I have used it on most of these, except GF. I think using a TS credit for the Plaza is a waste of money. With entrees running about $10 and deserts under $5, I always pay OOP for the Plaza Restraurant. We are planning to try Coral Reef this time, which looks like a good use of a TS credit. Amazingly, I don't see LeCellier on your list, which is another good use of a TS credit. Other than that, your list looks alot like mine (except paying OOP for the Plaza Restraurant and OOP for Trail's End).
The ADRs that I have are:
Friday - MGM 50's Prime Time Cafe
Saturday - MK Liberty Tree Tavern Character Meal
Sunday - Epcot Coral Reef
Monday - MK Tony's Town Square
Tuesday - Poly Ohana (this was the one I was trying to fill)
Wedneday - Epcot Le Cellier

Hopefully said:
We used a TS credit at 'OHana's in October and we loved it. We had a 7:20 ADR and waited over 40 minutes to be seated. Without asking, we had a table near the windows with a wonderful Castle view.
We saw the Electrical Water Pageant from our table and then Wishes!!! It was a nice surprise.
We enjoyed the food too. The salad was delicious, the wontons and shrimp were good and I liked the wings alot. I loved the potatoes but DH and DS did not. They however enjoyed the vegtables and I didn't try any.
The skewers of meat were great too.
Our service was attentive and warm.
We will go again.
What kind of atmosphere is there? I have heard that they do games with the kids. Is that right?

Ohana was a family favorite, we too got a window seat and could look out to the castle...this was perfect! The food is good (and endless) the banana bread desert ROCKS IMO, we were fighting over it by the end of the bowl!!! Yum!!

There is a VERY nice lady who plays the ukeleli(sp???) and goes around the restaurant and has dances with the kids!! They have hula hoop contests and coconut pushing contests (children push the coconuts with the broom) around the room!!

ask to be seated near the fire pit, other wise you will not have a good view of all the activities!!! Our girls loved the place and out of all the places we went, this is where I would go again and even pay cash if without the dining plan...our service was good too.

They serve great adult bevies at the bar too, while you are waiting!! ;)

I do not know about your other choices but Ohana is a GREAT one!!

oh we LOVE LOVE LOVE the poly too!! Have fun~~ :thumbsup2

We used the dining plan on our last trip at both OHanas and the Kona Cafe.

At the risk of being excommunicated from these boards, I must say that Ohanas was the absolute worst meal and experience we had on the entire trip. We waited 70 minutes beyond the time of our reservation, and were seated only after I started making a scene--my family was getting weak with hunger!
The service was rude and almost surly, and the food was inedible.
Now I realize that Ohanas is an icon here, and it is not allowed to speak poorly of it, but it was simply awful.

The Kona Cafe, on the other hand, was excellent. We were seated promptly, and the service was excellent. The food was very very good, and the desserts at the Kona are to die for! By vote, the Kona won our family'sfavorite dinner of the trip last year!

MOMOFMNM said:
Ohana was a family favorite, we too got a window seat and could look out to the castle...this was perfect! The food is good (and endless) the banana bread desert ROCKS IMO, we were fighting over it by the end of the bowl!!! Yum!!

There is a VERY nice lady who plays the ukeleli(sp???) and goes around the restaurant and has dances with the kids!! They have hula hoop contests and coconut pushing contests (children push the coconuts with the broom) around the room!!

ask to be seated near the fire pit, other wise you will not have a good view of all the activities!!! Our girls loved the place and out of all the places we went, this is where I would go again and even pay cash if without the dining plan...our service was good too.

They serve great adult bevies at the bar too, while you are waiting!! ;)

I do not know about your other choices but Ohana is a GREAT one!!

oh we LOVE LOVE LOVE the poly too!! Have fun~~ :thumbsup2
Thanks with it being a Hawaii theme wasn't sure what to expect. Do they give you a lai (the flower thingie that you get in hawaii?)?

estnh said:
We used the dining plan on our last trip at both OHanas and the Kona Cafe.

At the risk of being excommunicated from these boards, I must say that Ohanas was the absolute worst meal and experience we had on the entire trip. We waited 70 minutes beyond the time of our reservation, and were seated only after I started making a scene--my family was getting weak with hunger!
The service was rude and almost surly, and the food was inedible.
Now I realize that Ohanas is an icon here, and it is not allowed to speak poorly of it, but it was simply awful.

The Kona Cafe, on the other hand, was excellent. We were seated promptly, and the service was excellent. The food was very very good, and the desserts at the Kona are to die for! By vote, the Kona won our family'sfavorite dinner of the trip last year!
I appreciate all responses. What time of day did you have your ADR? Ours will be at 5:10pm. I'm just wondering if the wait was during a busy time.

estnh said:
my family was getting weak with hunger!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl2::lmao::lmao:

(Please note, I am not making fun of your situation, I know it may not have been funny at the time, but, that is funny (the way you worded that), I tend to be just as descriptive.

We went last year, had a 920pm ADR, I think, or maybe it was 820pm, we arrived early (probably around 40mins early) to what seemed like standing room only waiting. We did not get seated on time, but was seated shortly after that, with a great table, and we were eating when the fireworks started, they dim the lights and pipe in music, I assume the same music from the park (I would not know as that was our first trip and we did not have the opportunity to witness Wishes but that one time and not in the park.). That was great, the music stopped just shy of the end and someone, I am assuming a CM, ad libbed and sang the last word (off key, but at least he didn't leave us hanging!), boy was that hilarious, almost the whole restaurant roared with laughter!

The food was great, and having the dining plan (for free) made it even better. We do plan on purchasing it for our next trip, and probably each one thereafter, as long as it is offered. The best part is not having to strategize and penny pinch, or deny ourselves some indulgences because of the cost. While normally we would not have an appy, entree, and dessert (we do usually share one appetizer), my DH is a big eater. Now I get to have my own full portion, and can take my leftovers with me. We are also able to try a couple of different choices at each sitting which is nice for variety and because we do like different things and can both be satisfied, and at a reasonable expense. (JMHO)

shondad said:
We went last year, had a 920pm ADR, I think, or maybe it was 820pm, we arrived early (probably around 40mins early) to what seemed like standing room only waiting. We did not get seated on time, but was seated shortly after that, with a great table, and we were eating when the fireworks started, they dim the lights and pipe in music, I assume the same music from the park (I would not know as that was our first trip and we did not have the opportunity to witness Wishes but that one time and not in the park.). That was great, the music stopped just shy of the end and someone, I am assuming a CM, ad libbed and sang the last word (off key, but at least he didn't leave us hanging!), boy was that hilarious, almost the whole restaurant roared with laughter!

The food was great, and having the dining plan (for free) made it even better. We do plan on purchasing it for our next trip, and probably each one thereafter, as long as it is offered. The best part is not having to strategize and penny pinch, or deny ourselves some indulgences because of the cost. While normally we would not have an appy, entree, and dessert (we do usually share one appetizer), my DH is a big eater. Now I get to have my own full portion, and can take my leftovers with me. We are also able to try a couple of different choices at each sitting which is nice for variety and because we do like different things and can both be satisfied, and at a reasonable expense. (JMHO)
I love the DP too because of not having to penny pinch. Last time we were there all we got to eat for the most part was hotdogs and by the end of the trip I was boycotting hotdogs. It took months before I could eat them!!!

I love the food and atmosphere at the Plaza Restaurant, but agree that it isn't the best use of a DP credit because it's inexpensive. I guess it depends on whether you are looking for the experience or the value. We will not be eating there this August only because we are looking for new experiences and we have eaten there many times.

Kona Cafe was the suprise of our trip last August. The food and service were excellent. My DS (16) still raves about this meal. My DH was not with us for that trip, so we will be eating our anniversary dinner at Kona this August.

We haven't eaten at Ohana's, but it was a zoo when we were there waiting for our table at Kona. The line to check in was huge, so they must be doing something right, just not my type of atmosphere.

We will be trying the Concourse Steakhouse this year. We had lunch there many years ago and it was delicious.

In December, we ate at 'Ohana for both breakfast and dinner and we loved it! We really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. We won't be staying at the Poly again this time :sad: but we will definately be eating at 'Ohana!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter