What will be your breaking point? Resort fees?

My breaking point is the parking fees. We were on the fence for our trip last month about staying offsite, decided to stay onsite, then they announced the parking fees. We can well afford to pay them, but I'm already paying 30% (or more) for the privilege of staying on property versus off. At this point the only perks we use is the buses from resort to the parks, and the luggage service back to the airport. We rent a car because we like the convenience, and sometimes go off property for meals and other attractions.

Now I can stay at a 'Good Neighbor' hotel and get the 60 day FP window, so that's a perk I can get elsewhere.

I love Disney, and will continue to go, but we're done staying on property unless something changes. It's no longer worth the extra money in our opinion.

I think for us it will when they switch to a paid fastpass. Seems inevitable that is going to happen, and with a family of 5, a per-person, per-day fee would really add up. We can tolerate a lot, but fastpasses are a must for us!

That is one of reasons (along with their overuse of screen rides) I let my Universal AP expire. I won't pay a bunch of money every time I go to the parks for FOL access. Disney has it right. Free FastPass+ and for the folks willing to pay extra, upcharge events that include additional perks like Breakfast (EMM) or free snacks (DAH). I hope they don't go to paid FP+. But, if they do, fingers crossed something like Disneyland's MaxPass rather than Universal's ExpressPass which is expensive and only offers access to the Priority Queue.

Last edited:

“Paying more and getting less. Since 1971.”

Is that more catchy than “the happiest place on earth”?

Honestly most of the fees discussed don’t bug me and as long as Disney keeps filling rooms and parks it’s just supply/demand rationale. It’s a business.

I cancelled my Food and Wine trip for this October-not because of fees, but this December trip will help me decide what's next. Probably will end up going less frequent and start to scope out some other places. Funny- I did get a call about the email I sent about the parking fee- When the CM explained that Star Wars land and Toy Story will change "everyone's" minds about the added fees- I simply laughed and told him- these new lands are already too small and will have 2 hour wait times for the attractions just like Pandora, so same crowds, different paint-still fees.

Last edited:
Good for you for sending an email. I did the same back in March. I like that you responded to the comment re Star Wars/Toy story changing people’s mind. Your comment was spot on. I didn’t receive that excuse when they called me. I guess they are tweaking responses.

While the parking fees haven't turned me off of a Disney vacation, it has turned me off of staying on property. We always rent a car and with the fee it makes staying offsite for cheaper (+ parking) about the same as staying onsite with the fee. Also, the intense nickel and diming has led me to explore the international parks more. Being able to fly on an airline industry rate makes it actually cheaper than a comparable time in Florida plus the Deluxe/Moderate+ tier Disney hotels in Asia are pricing at $200 USD a night which is cheaper than a deluxe stateside. It's kind of funny that I'm getting priced out of a vacation in Orlando to go to Shanghai instead.

After our last trip in 2017, I said we'd take a break from Disney for awhile. Well, we are going again this summer. It's hard to say no to Disney! We have been discussing of trying to buy DVC resale for several years now, but it really is not for us. We are going to Europe next summer, so maybe we will go to Disney again in 2020.

Honestly...probably nothing. I absolutely adore going to Disney and I am able to relax there and relieve my anxiety there like no other destination I've visited. I have so many wonderful memories there with family that has now passed on. If anything I will just go less and adjust my budget to work with it. However I say this as a childless adult, and if that were to change, I might rethink things although I don't see myself ever completely not going, just taking less frequent trips.

I was going to say resort fees, but it is my guess that rather than adding a fee, the fee will just get buried in the cost by raising rates. It is an ongoing thing, the rising costs of resort rates, IMO. I am not sure I have a breaking point, but I do have a finite budget, so rather than multiple trips to WDW, our travels there have already been reduced, and we will make them further apart still.

My concern is that instead of a favorite destination for folks, it will become a once in a lifetime destination, and that woudl be a shame really. WDW is no different than any other travel desitinations if the economy goes south or God forbid another tragedy occurs that frightens folks from traveling, so if they outprice themselves for the frequent flyers, they may be in trouble.

I realize that DIsney does not reward those who come again and again, but I really have no idea why this is so. They tend to spend less on souvenirs, but I think that if you add up the total budget, they are much lower maintenance. I knwo we book special events, spend less time in the parks, but still purchace length of stay hoppers, relax and shop, and have no issue dining at an out of the way spot rather than the heavy hitters in the parks.

I would think DIsney woudl want the folks who come just to be there, we are like a set it and forget it. WE are there, and require not much.

I agree that the room rates are going to go up - easy for WDW to do that quietly since rates always fluctuate seasonally. Resort fees are a way for hotels to attract more people with "lower" published rates, and then charge extra at the hotel in fees. Disney does not really need to do that because it doesn't compete with nearby hotels on price (non-Disney hotels will always be cheaper) but rather amenities like EMH and 60-day FP and internal transportation to the parks, so Disney does not mind if its published rates are higher.

I think Disney is a little more recession-proof than other US tourist vacations because it draws so much international tourism. When the US economy goes bad, other currencies get a better exchange rate on the dollar and come to Disney to spend their foreign currencies.

I travel down twice a year (short drive, but out of state).... Once a year is for a couple of rooms for the grown kids. WE love it. However. I think the parking fee, along with the additional hotel rooms and NOT another park might just be it for me. It's been almost a yearly thing for 30 years. But, I might just have to cut the ties soon.

I wonder if the masses are starting to impact the nickle and dime cry. Some Passholder black out dates lifted because of lower than expected attendance, Starwars films ETC.

Don't get me wrong-still love my Disney trips, but...

I think it's a "wait and see" how this will affect annual passholders?? They've already priced the AP almost out of reach for me! The last couple years we've gone from 3 trips down to 2..... might end up with only once a year now.... if that?? Just gotten so freakin expensive!!!!!! People used to ask me how I could afford to go 2-3 times a year.... I always told them there are discounts, etc out there and it was worth it!
NOW..... OMG.... I'm asking myself how can I afford it anymore??? And with all the cuts, construction, etc... not feeling it's worth it anymore!

Disney has managed to all but kill 18 years worth of good will. They can keep their Toy Story Land and I don't give a hoot about Star Wars. Same for Marvel, not interested. They are pricing themselves out of what I am will to pay while the service continues to decline with all the cuts. I have done the parks long enough to not be enticed by rides most which break down. It is now the little magical things like parades, shows and the streetmosphere that I use to not take too much notice of while doing the park ride commando style that I am now looking to experience. I have done most of the tours and parties but the constant up-charges are getting crazy. Couple that with the generic hotel décor, dogs in the parks and at resort and the "cover their behinds intrusions" room inspections as well as the security theater at the parks are just a few more nails in their coffin. Not thrilled in June when I paid good money for the Illuminations cruise and got the defective globe that ruined the finale. The sad part is Disney is encouraging people with their app to not disconnect and interact. May just be me, but too many people staring at their phones ignoring everything else including the "therapy animals" they need so much. Seriously debating about whether I will go back for the 50th.

Disney has managed to all but kill 18 years worth of good will. They can keep their Toy Story Land and I don't give a hoot about Star Wars. Same for Marvel, not interested. They are pricing themselves out of what I am will to pay while the service continues to decline with all the cuts. I have done the parks long enough to not be enticed by rides most which break down. It is now the little magical things like parades, shows and the streetmosphere that I use to not take too much notice of while doing the park ride commando style that I am now looking to experience. I have done most of the tours and parties but the constant up-charges are getting crazy. Couple that with the generic hotel décor, dogs in the parks and at resort and the "cover their behinds intrusions" room inspections as well as the security theater at the parks are just a few more nails in their coffin. Not thrilled in June when I paid good money for the Illuminations cruise and got the defective globe that ruined the finale. The sad part is Disney is encouraging people with their app to not disconnect and interact. May just be me, but too many people staring at their phones ignoring everything else including the "therapy animals" they need so much. Seriously debating about whether I will go back for the 50th.
Amen!!! Agree!

I wish I could "like" this post a few hundred times!

We haven't been to Disney in several years, but plan to go next year. There are lots of other places we go on vacation, so the value has to be there or we just go someplace else. Will never go in the summer as it is too hot/crowded to be enjoyable. What they call 'off season' has always been when we had the best time. I agree with others as the prices escalate well beyond the norm, they are really becoming a vacation destination for the well-off. Fun to do once in awhile, but we will never be regulars anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter