What will push you offsite?

Have two weeks with free dining this year, but are going to cancel. Irritated with parking fees, EMHs, both morning and night. We are taking a road trip starting in Charleston, stopping at Disney for the Halloween Party then heading to New Orleans and Nashville. We are also staying at The Myrtles Plantation for ghost hunting. While we are in Lake Buena Vista, we are staying at Omni Championsgate. I went with priceline and got the room for 87.00 a night, even with parking fee and resort fee, its much cheaper than Port Orleans and its 4.5 stars with a great pool and lazy river. My kids are so excited. Talked with my brother this week and he also feels this way. He has been going every year for 20 years, he says he is done. Too many other places to go. Last year we did the National Parks and next year we want to go to Alaska, which wont be with Disney. Its been fun, but time to move on.

When we can no longer rent DVC Villas for the cost of moderates. Once the pricing for renting DVC points goes higher than a mod rack rate, we will stay offsite in the Disney Spring area.

Personally, I love a split-stay of on-site/off-site. It’s like two vacations in one, a few days in the bubble, then a few more relaxing ones where we can still drive to any park in 20 minutes if that’s what we want to do.

Mind you, that’s coming at it from the other direction. We used to be off-site only, adding some on-site days at the beginning.

Don’t think I’d stop staying onsite, but I’d Probably stop going all together or less if we couldn’t stay onsite. Disney resorts are part of our experience at Disneyworld. We’d probably just switch to Disneyland, since there is no need to be there for so many days and explore California more often.

Won’t stop staying onsite completely as we own DVC points but we are staying onsite and going to WDW less often. Over the years we stayed for about half of our trips offsite before moving to onsite because frankly it was more relaxing and the rooms or units were usually nicer than at deluxe onsite resorts for less $$. Planning a trip is more work and less fun than it used to be for me.

Several others have mentioned these but the main two would be not having a fast pass advantage and not having free transportation. It's gotten to the point I see Uber recommended in spite of what Disney transportation offers, and if it becomes a reality that fast passes must be purchased that would be the deal breaker. We have stayed in Disney Springs hotels before they were partner hotels simply because that's where my husbands conventions were held. We still managed to get SDMT fast passes, just not morning. We are actually considering staying in a partner hotel or whatever they re called now in Disney Springs in January 2020 because you can get fast passes 60 days out, and we will either use our own car or Uber.

Having done both over the years, I'm pretty firmly in the onsite only camp now. The main draw for us is "the bubble". We love the theming of the hotels, the smell of the lobby, the pools, the gift shops, the arcades...everything that makes us feel like we're at Disney. The biggest perks for us are transportation (once we arrive we like to park the car and not drive AT ALL), 60 day FPs, and being able to use our Magic Bands for everything. I don't see them ever getting rid of transportation or magic bands, and I think there will always be some version of FP, so nothing really foreseeable that would drive us offsite.

Oh my word! I feel like such a loser for being ok with staying offsite. haha. I would never stop going to WDW because we stay offsite. I like to drive my car though. I think my DD7 could care less as long as she gets to ride Dumbo. We still experience Disney IMO. But my DD at 7 will still be in a stroller when we go in June. *gasp*

I’ve slowly been pushed me from not taking WDW vacays. It’s been a steady downhill. We used to go 2x a year. January in POR, then August in a Deluxe.
A few yrs ago cut out January trips. Last August trip was last year, 2018. No trip planned this year. For the first time ever, not going to WDW.
From crazy room increases, ticket increases, food increases. Just no! I haven’t drunk that much Koolaid. It’s not that I can’t, but I’m not going to pay rip off prices. $200+ for a motel style moderate?
This year I’m going to Universal.

I agree with all of the above, SueM. My husband and I are in the same boat. He is still attached to staying at Disney, but would sway easily.
We both love Universal. The Royal Pacific is fantastic. After staying in Disney hotels for years, we were genuinely surprised at the quality of customer service at RP. We forgot what a hotel that is actually in the hotel business is like:) We like the slower pace at Universal and not having to plan every second months in advance! We even ride attractions over and over if we want to. I love touring like that.
So, I know what you are saying.
After reading on this board about all that Disney is doing (money grab-wise), I can see that they are forcing guests to buy into the upcharges for lower crowds, or suck it up and fight the crowds like everyone else. They've done a good job of making that alternative look great, when we used to get those things for free. Oh well, it's Universal for us too.

Having done both over the years, I'm pretty firmly in the onsite only camp now. The main draw for us is "the bubble". We love the theming of the hotels, the smell of the lobby, the pools, the gift shops, the arcades...everything that makes us feel like we're at Disney. The biggest perks for us are transportation (once we arrive we like to park the car and not drive AT ALL), 60 day FPs, and being able to use our Magic Bands for everything. I don't see them ever getting rid of transportation or magic bands, and I think there will always be some version of FP, so nothing really foreseeable that would drive us offsite.

The Force of the "Disney Bubble" is strong Padawan. But, the Disney Springs partner hotels have transportation and for the money you save on the room you can take Uber to and from the parks. You will still come out ahead and there is no waiting for a bus.

On Uber in general... after the last 4 or 5 trips we now budget 100 dollars or so for Uber. For early magic hours or when you don't feel like dealing with the bus after a long day in the parks, it's the best money we spend all trip.

We are DVC members, so offsite would actually be considerably more expensive for us. But if we were doing a mostly non-Disney trip, we might consider offsite. I am not even sure that I would consider offsite if we did more trips than we have points for, after all then I would have to rent a car (which can be quite expensive for two weeks), I can't get the Disney Dining Plan, have to also pay for gas and other related offsite expenses.

The Force of the "Disney Bubble" is strong Padawan. But, the Disney Springs partner hotels have transportation and for the money you save on the room you can take Uber to and from the parks. You will still come out ahead and there is no waiting for a bus.

On Uber in general... after the last 4 or 5 trips we now budget 100 dollars or so for Uber. For early magic hours or when you don't feel like dealing with the bus after a long day in the parks, it's the best money we spend all trip.
But how often does the transportation to these partner hotels run and do they run before the parks open and after they close?

Have two weeks with free dining this year, but are going to cancel. Irritated with parking fees, EMHs, both morning and night. We are taking a road trip starting in Charleston, stopping at Disney for the Halloween Party then heading to New Orleans and Nashville. We are also staying at The Myrtles Plantation for ghost hunting. While we are in Lake Buena Vista, we are staying at Omni Championsgate. I went with priceline and got the room for 87.00 a night, even with parking fee and resort fee, its much cheaper than Port Orleans and its 4.5 stars with a great pool and lazy river. My kids are so excited. Talked with my brother this week and he also feels this way. He has been going every year for 20 years, he says he is done. Too many other places to go. Last year we did the National Parks and next year we want to go to Alaska, which wont be with Disney. Its been fun, but time to move on.

We're seriously considering cancelling as well. We have a 5- night vacation booked in a one-bedroom villa at WL (Boulder Ridge) - discount on Bounceback still costing about $500 per night, with paid for Dining ($750 for 2 for the 5 nights), two day park hopper plus- we will golf one day, water park one day, and do another included golf day (Oaktrail). We added on EMM for both DHS and DMK to maximize our time in those parks/other parks/other things.

Lots of planning went into this vacation. But we're paying about 4K for 5 days at Disney. I love Disney, my husband goes along, and has said "this again". He's going because I love it and he gets to play golf and he does have a good time there. But, he would like to use that money to travel elsewhere. I am starting to come around. This year especially because we want to build an enclosed patio with a fire feature and its going to cost at least $4k for the stonework and gazebo. I'm thinking- a 5 day trip or a summer on a new patio?

So, let's just take Wyndham Garden Inn, the cheapest of the Disney Springs hotels.

For our dates, it would cost:
Hotel - $1,667 (1 King Bed)
Car Rental - $415.80
Total - $2,082.80

Compared to All Star Music, it would cost:
Hotel - $2,156
Total - $2,156 (No need for a car rental)

Savings by staying offsite: $73.20

Sorry, but I am not really seeing the savings and this is paying full rack rate for the onsite room and getting a hefty discount for the Disney Springs room.

So, let's just take Wyndham Garden Inn, the cheapest of the Disney Springs hotels.

For our dates, it would cost:
Hotel - $1,667 (1 King Bed)
Car Rental - $415.80
Total - $2,082.80

Compared to All Star Music, it would cost:
Hotel - $2,156
Total - $2,156 (No need for a car rental)

Savings by staying offsite: $73.20

Sorry, but I am not really seeing the savings and this is paying full rack rate for the onsite room and getting a hefty discount for the Disney Springs room.

But for my math, I have a discounted deluxe room, and can go to a one bed room at the double tree in Disney springs and save almost 1500.

Now I add the car, and the parking fees at double tree and savings is about 600. It’s of course not apples to apples, but that’s my math.

For the record since I started this thread, we are staying on site saving the $600 wasn’t worth it, not having to worry about driving, and closer to parks, (walking distance to two parks) for the little kids made sense.

However I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s opinions here, it has opens my eyes a bit for sure!

But for my math, I have a discounted deluxe room, and can go to a one bed room at the double tree in Disney springs and save almost 1500.

Now I add the car, and the parking fees at double tree and savings is about 600. It’s of course not apples to apples, but that’s my math.

For the record since I started this thread, we are staying on site saving the $600 wasn’t worth it, not having to worry about driving, and closer to parks, (walking distance to two parks) for the little kids made sense.

However I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s opinions here, it has opens my eyes a bit for sure!
Yeah, but when you compare apples to apples (I did as close as I could), it gets a lot closer to being the same and if you do the Disney Dining Plan, depending on how you eat and drink, you could make up that $600 difference and then some and be ahead by stating onsite.

Yeah, but when you compare apples to apples (I did as close as I could), it gets a lot closer to being the same and if you do the Disney Dining Plan, depending on how you eat and drink, you could make up that $600 difference and then some and be ahead by stating onsite.

All good points. I’m not disagreeing, honestly I have really enjoyed hearing other people’s point of views on this thread.

But for me a double tree is just as good as a deluxe since I only stay deluxe over value for distance to the parks, so if I’m moving offsite, I want a one bedroom which gives me more space. So for me comparable? Maybe? Haha

Either way we are sticking with onsite this trip, October is just two adults we will only Uber and are going to try out offsite....

All good points. I’m not disagreeing, honestly I have really enjoyed hearing other people’s point of views on this thread.

But for me a double tree is just as good as a deluxe since I only stay deluxe over value for distance to the parks, so if I’m moving offsite, I want a one bedroom which gives me more space. So for me comparable? Maybe? Haha

Either way we are sticking with onsite this trip, October is just two adults we will only Uber and are going to try out offsite....
That is why I was comparing Wyndham Garden Inn with a Value, they are closer in amenities.

I agree with all of the above, SueM. My husband and I are in the same boat. He is still attached to staying at Disney, but would sway easily.
We both love Universal. The Royal Pacific is fantastic. After staying in Disney hotels for years, we were genuinely surprised at the quality of customer service at RP. We forgot what a hotel that is actually in the hotel business is like:) We like the slower pace at Universal and not having to plan every second months in advance! We even ride attractions over and over if we want to. I love touring like that.
So, I know what you are saying.
After reading on this board about all that Disney is doing (money grab-wise), I can see that they are forcing guests to buy into the upcharges for lower crowds, or suck it up and fight the crowds like everyone else. They've done a good job of making that alternative look great, when we used to get those things for free. Oh well, it's Universal for us too.
We’re staying at RPH! Really looking forward to it. We have stayed at Hard Rock and last trip at Portofino which really wowed us!

But how often does the transportation to these partner hotels run and do they run before the parks open and after they close?
They run continuously every 30 min which has been better than some waits at wdw hotels!

We stayed at Doubletree once when I changed my WDW reservation and was coming in a day earlier. Got a great deal on mousesavers. I get their newsletters. The current one had a special at Doubletree waiving parking. Plus room discount.
When we went we had mousesavers deal with room discount and free breakfast. We had a nice 1 bedroom for a lot less than an allstars family suite. I wouldn’t bother with a rental car as they have very good bus shuttles to the parks. Why pay for rental car and parking when you can use free transportation and when you don’t feel like bus, Uber/Lyft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter