What will push you offsite?

I have grown to love staying on site despite many years of wonderful offsite stays. That said, they really can’t compete with the value the universal hotels provide.

Our family has been dreaming about trying the Polynesian so we’re doing a quick stay there and I don’t know when or if we will be returning. The ticket prices for the parks are just too high and in combination with the hotel prices you don’t really get what you pay for.

We’re staying at RPH! Really looking forward to it. We have stayed at Hard Rock and last trip at Portofino which really wowed us!

They run continuously every 30 min which has been better than some waits at wdw hotels!

We stayed at Doubletree once when I changed my WDW reservation and was coming in a day earlier. Got a great deal on mousesavers. I get their newsletters. The current one had a special at Doubletree waiving parking. Plus room discount.
When we went we had mousesavers deal with room discount and free breakfast. We had a nice 1 bedroom for a lot less than an allstars family suite. I wouldn’t bother with a rental car as they have very good bus shuttles to the parks. Why pay for rental car and parking when you can use free transportation and when you don’t feel like bus, Uber/Lyft.
I would have to do a rental car to get to and from the airport.

We stayed at Doubletree once when I changed my WDW reservation and was coming in a day earlier. Got a great deal on mousesavers. I get their newsletters. The current one had a special at Doubletree waiving parking. Plus room discount.
When we went we had mousesavers deal with room discount and free breakfast. We had a nice 1 bedroom for a lot less than an allstars family suite. I wouldn’t bother with a rental car as they have very good bus shuttles to the parks. Why pay for rental car and parking when you can use free transportation and when you don’t feel like bus, Uber/Lyft.

My kids are to young to ride in a car with out a car seat, so Uber and lyft aren’t an option right now.

Hard question to answer. I guess price, but honestly, I am not sure what that price would be. We could always go down from a deluxe or mod to a value. We usually rent a car anyway, since we do split stays between Universal and WDW. FP changes, depending upon what they are, could be the breaking point. We don't usually do PM EMH, but we love AM EMH. That wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it would make me sore. I guess if we had the chance to stay for a long period, like 2+ weeks, then we might consider offsite to get a kitchen. Eating garbage for that long would kill me. I know WDW has kitchens, but they are stupidly priced. They are even really expensive renting DVC points. I have wanted to stay at the Four Seasons. It's so reasonably priced compared to the WDW deluxes. Wow! That seems like such an insane comment. Plus, the hotel looks really nice. If they have/keep 60 day FP, I would definitely consider it.

We’re staying at RPH! Really looking forward to it. We have stayed at Hard Rock and last trip at Portofino which really wowed us!

Got a great deal on mousesavers. I get their newsletters. The current one had a special at Doubletree waiving parking. Plus room discount.

Royal Pacific is our favorite Universal Hotel. Easy to walk to Citywalk and a tropical feel.

Mousesavers is the BEST source for a list of current discounts and deals!

Like both on/off and have done both-but most onsite stays either with AP discount or CM discount. And lots of split stays or all offsite stays. Thanksgiving 2017 was all offsite for the week at Marriott timeshare (trip to see the DCP kid)-was sooooo nice to have the full space and DCP kid got to stay with us too! Plus we never ever had issues getting loungers by pools, and with all the activities younger kids often preferred we spend more time at resort. Unless it is just hub and me or just one kid and me-we will end up offsite if trip is more than 3-5 days.
Let the Disney AP lapse, got Universal AP (premiere) and thought maybe I'd miss Disney...nope, not even at Christmas.

So I guess we are already driven offsite unless can get a great discount-all the perceived "perks" can now be had for a price anyway-why pay more to stay in lesser accommodations and then STILL pay for less crowds (EMM, DAH etc).

and with little kids I'm also factoring in the convenience factor of being on property.
Actually found convenience nicer with older kids as we could split up more easily. When we went with toddler/school age kid I really really really liked tucking them into their own room at night, and not having to tiptoe around.

But we're paying about 4K for 5 days at Disney.
WOW-our cruise, air and excursions isn't that much! Granted it's not DCL LOL

Now I add the car, and the parking fees at double tree and savings is about 600. It’s of course not apples to apples, but that’s my math.
Rental car fees vary widely-mine for june for 10 days is $300, midsize/Alamo, and that is after rebooking a couple times after price drops. And there is almost always waived resort/parking fees plus discount on room at DS hotels. Just have to look and be a bit vigilant. Or use car service to/from airport.

Hard question to answer. I guess price, but honestly, I am not sure what that price would be. We could always go down from a deluxe or mod to a value. We usually rent a car anyway, since we do split stays between Universal and WDW. FP changes, depending upon what they are, could be the breaking point. We don't usually do PM EMH, but we love AM EMH. That wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it would make me sore. I guess if we had the chance to stay for a long period, like 2+ weeks, then we might consider offsite to get a kitchen. Eating garbage for that long would kill me. I know WDW has kitchens, but they are stupidly priced. They are even really expensive renting DVC points. I have wanted to stay at the Four Seasons. It's so reasonably priced compared to the WDW deluxes. Wow! That seems like such an insane comment. Plus, the hotel looks really nice. If they have/keep 60 day FP, I would definitely consider it.
I know right? It is crazy that Four Seasons is more reasonable! The WDW moderates is priced now similarly to what I have paid not too long ago for deluxe. $200 for a walk up with outside door and a clothing rack in the bathroom? They’re out of their minds! And I’m not a fan of the values. I’ve also never stayed off site except the once at The Doubletree which was great. A 1 bedroom cheaper than a WDW moderate.

I have grown to love staying on site despite many years of wonderful offsite stays. That said, they really can’t compete with the value the universal hotels provide.

Our family has been dreaming about trying the Polynesian so we’re doing a quick stay there and I don’t know when or if we will be returning. The ticket prices for the parks are just too high and in combination with the hotel prices you don’t really get what you pay for.

Not to throw a damper on your dream of staying at the Poly, BUT just for what it's worth.
My daughter has always wanted to stay at the Poly; it was a constant dream.
Finally, her family of 5 could afford it and booked it for a week a couple of years ago.
I went to visit her there, as we stay at POFQ or POR, and was disappointed in the room (didn't say a word to her though). It was dark, dingy, and smelled musty. Apparently, they felt the same way. Also the room service was awful. They all ate breakfast in their room one morning, and cleaned their plates and trays and left them stacked for housekeeping. They were still there when they got back that evening, so they put them outside the door. Well, those trays were never picked up, and lots of other trays were lining the hallway too, by the end of their stay. I asked why she didn't call housekeeping and she said that it was pretty obvious that the trays needed to be picked up. She also didn't want to deal with calling as she felt it should have been done while HK was there.
Their 3 kids all wanted to come and stay with us at POR because they liked it much better (the pools, game room,the Mill restaurant, etc), but were disappointed on having to stay with MOm and Dad:)

I confess I have always wanted to stay at the Poly too, but that visit sure cured me of that dream.
I'm sure others on here have had a wonderful experience, and that's great. Just wanted to give you our experience.

I have always been an onsite person, I love the perks and the convenience, especially when I can walk to a park. However with all the cuts to perks I’m debating becoming an offsite person!

For my August trip I would save almost $1500 if I move offsite... I’m really debating it...

Having two kids, and one still in a car seat it’s a hard sell, but I’m still thinking about it.

If you're an onsite person will something push you to move offsite? If so what?
We are VERY close. I think for us it's a combination of things, but I'll say I would've never even considered it had prices not extremely gotten higher over the last 5-10 years and if we didn't see the "perks" of staying onsite disappear left and right.

I think within a year or 2, we'll be staying offsite for our Orlando trips and will be visiting other parks. Our group of kids are getting older and having a much nicer place with more room would def. offset some of the outgrowing family trips/Disney trips. We'd also like to go to Sea World, Universal and possibly visit Tampa a bit, so having the freedom of travel with a rental car (right now we're used to only using Disney transportation) would def. have benefits.

we almost always stay at values. So I don’t find more than say 1-200 dollar saving staying at a decent resort off property. Then factoring in parking fees and all. It’s not worth it. Where do you normally stay on site to save 1500.00? We don’t even have that much cost staying On property. With codes. The values are about 800-900 for 7 days.
You would def. be able to save a good amount if you rented a house and as far as the parking fees... while I understand you could solely rely on Disney transportation, but if you don't then you're paying those fees too, just at your resort.

The WDW moderates is priced now similarly to what I have paid not too long ago for deluxe. $200 for a walk up with outside door and a clothing rack in the bathroom? They’re out of their minds!

Take a look at some dates for this fall... I've seen several dates that put CBR and POR creeping up close to almost $300 (rack). I paid $171 for a room at CBR with a discount recently and that's about the top of what I think those rooms are worth. $285 a night for CBR is certifiably nuts to me, but I guess they book them, so they can charge that.

I know right? It is crazy that Four Seasons is more reasonable! The WDW moderates is priced now similarly to what I have paid not too long ago for deluxe. $200 for a walk up with outside door and a clothing rack in the bathroom? They’re out of their minds! And I’m not a fan of the values. I’ve also never stayed off site except the once at The Doubletree which was great. A 1 bedroom cheaper than a WDW moderate.
I booked a bb for POR a month ago for mid August...$250 a night ON DISCOUNT. That is crazy and I ended up canceling because of price and their dog policy I had forgotten about when booking.

Will either stay onsite or pass on the trip. Stayed very close offsite one year and it just wasn't the same. I much prefer to be in the 24/7 bubble. Just a person preference. I feel like I am in the real world and not on vacation when I see green street signs as opposed to purple.

Last edited:
There has been a lot of change since I started going, some of it I like some of it I don’t. If it got to the point where I no longer wanted to stay onsite, then that would be the end of me going to Disney.

Not to throw a damper on your dream of staying at the Poly, BUT just for what it's worth.
My daughter has always wanted to stay at the Poly; it was a constant dream.
Finally, her family of 5 could afford it and booked it for a week a couple of years ago.
I went to visit her there, as we stay at POFQ or POR, and was disappointed in the room (didn't say a word to her though). It was dark, dingy, and smelled musty. Apparently, they felt the same way. Also the room service was awful. They all ate breakfast in their room one morning, and cleaned their plates and trays and left them stacked for housekeeping. They were still there when they got back that evening, so they put them outside the door. Well, those trays were never picked up, and lots of other trays were lining the hallway too, by the end of their stay. I asked why she didn't call housekeeping and she said that it was pretty obvious that the trays needed to be picked up. She also didn't want to deal with calling as she felt it should have been done while HK was there.
Their 3 kids all wanted to come and stay with us at POR because they liked it much better (the pools, game room,the Mill restaurant, etc), but were disappointed on having to stay with MOm and Dad:)

I confess I have always wanted to stay at the Poly too, but that visit sure cured me of that dream.
I'm sure others on here have had a wonderful experience, and that's great. Just wanted to give you our experience.
We've always wanted to stay at the Poly too and finally did last year. We were less than impressed. The location is awesome, but for the price it just wasn't worth it.

I booked a bb for POR a month ago for mid August...$250 a night ON DISCOUNT. That is crazy and I ended up canceling because of price and their dog policy I had forgotten about when booking.
Crazy. We’re staying at a Universal deluxe resort for $207!

Take a look at some dates for this fall... I've seen several dates that put CBR and POR creeping up close to almost $300 (rack). I paid $171 for a room at CBR with a discount recently and that's about the top of what I think those rooms are worth. $285 a night for CBR is certifiably nuts to me, but I guess they book them, so they can charge that.
You’re right, if people will pay..... I just can’t swallow that koolaid. I love WDW and have many great memories made there, but I dislike being overcharged for everything. For me it’s not Disney at all costs. I will still go but a lot less frequent. And will be looking at the Disney Springs resorts. The days of doing WDW like I used to are gone.

What would push me offsite....no longer having the option of using the FL resident discount. The values have good rack rates for the times I pick to go, but that discount makes it significantly easier to take what I saved and use it for souvenirs or some other expense for our trip.

I would hate to see EMH go bye bye, but that's not my sole reason for staying onsite. I LOVE the Disney bubble and being a resident makes it all the easier to be onsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter