What would you do? Last minute cruise

tgarre06

DIS Veteran
I posted this on the DCL forum, but I’m posting it here too.
We are booking a last minute cruise, and we are deciding between the two below:
Disney Magic Marvel 5 night Deluxe Inside Stateroom 214 sq ft at $4200 after travel
Agent OBC (Key West, Nassau, Castaway Cay)
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 4 night Inside Stateroom 160 sq ft at $1600 (Nassau, Coco Cay)
Would you jump from Disney to RCCL for this much lower priced cruise even after considering it is one night less?
My husband thinks it is a no brained to go to RCCL, but I love Disney.
We are traveling as 2 adults, 2 kids (4 and 7).
TIA!

I would. But I'd also consider adding a day or two at Disney before or after. Given Mariner sails from Port Canaveral and I think Disney Magic is from Miami? That would give you a Disney fix. that is a big difference in prices. Or get two connecting cabins? Still be less than the Disney.

FWIW, I've not been on either ship, so I'm basing this on what I'm seeing online about both. Plus general cruise stuff.

From what I see Mariner did a refurb a couple of years ago so there are some new things on the pool deck and such. But it seems like there's no kiddie pool so that might be a negative for you. Also there are likely to be less kids on the Royal ships this time of year.

Extra night on a cruise ship is another point in DCL's favour - I think 5 nights is my minimum stay at this point. Also can I say that Magic has, on paper, a better layout than Fantasy?

Still, you're talking about the Disney cruise being over 2.5 times the cost. That's a big obstacle right there.

We recently got off a Carnival ship, after only sailing with DCL. But my kids are adults now. What we got for a large balcony on the Carnival ship, and I think nicer layout, versus the military rate for same ports on DCL ship, was at more than double our Carnival rate. We enjoyed the ship, was different than DCL, some things we liked better, some not so much. But I would not have any trouble switching cruise lines, where cost is a big part of the decision. If I could afford DCL prices, I'd book them every time. Last year, the military rate we had was so close in price to other last minute rates we saw, we stayed with DCL. This year, no way, almost double the cost. And for me, cost is usually the biggest driver in decisions. Hence, next year, we will be on Royal's Harmony. I doubt what I am paying is even close to what DCL will offer military at the same week.

My thought, if you can afford, I'd stick with Disney, longer time, and more likely to see more kids, and character interactions are better at Disney. The room size, while RC is smaller, would not be a deal breaker for me. Anyway, my thoughts. And my kids refuse to get off the ship in Nassau now. Not our favorite port. And RC has put lots of money in it's Bahama Island private area. I think your kids would enjoy both of the private cays Disney and RC have.

When considering cruises of different lengths, we look at the per night cost. DCL is over twice as much per night as Royal ($840 vs $400). I would absolutely do Royal when the price difference is that high, but full disclosure I’ve also been on 16-ish Royal cruises (vs 7 DCL), so clearly we’ve made this same decision often!

Mariner has been updated, and the new slides look like so much fun! There is an ice skating rink, and the ice shows are impressive. (Bring jeans and socks if you want to go ice skating yourself!). The kids might enjoy the rock climbing wall and mini golf. There are lots of options on Coco Cay. Yes, some are extra cost, but you can still enjoy the island for free. (We were supposed to go on Mariner earlier this month, but had to cancel it when my husband got a new job. So sad! I wanted to see Coco and the newly updated Mariner!). It’s nice that the Windjammer buffet is open for dinner every night. It’s a nice option when you really don’t feel like sitting down for a long dinner in the MDR, and I really like the variety on the buffet a night.

We had that same hesitation a few years back. 4 RCCL cruises later, we haven't looked back. (although I'm hoping to do a DCL again for a special occasion)

Yeah, this is why after doing our 1st cruise on Disney Magic in 2007 we jumped over to Carnival and then later Royal. The price difference was just too wide a gap. We've been on the Mariner too and it's nice. Yep, Disney is a tad better but not worth the price difference. Even Carnival wasn't too different. So we go for best deal. Also look at the ship and what's offered on it. We now like the pay extra dining options so we look for those (like steak house, sushi place, Italian restaurant). So since the cruise fare is so much cheaper than on Disney, we book the extra stuff. Get drink package sometimes and even a balcony at times. We make the vacay we like.

When considering cruises of different lengths, we look at the per night cost. DCL is over twice as much per night as Royal ($840 vs $400). I would absolutely do Royal when the price difference is that high, but full disclosure I’ve also been on 16-ish Royal cruises (vs 7 DCL), so clearly we’ve made this same decision often!

Mariner has been updated, and the new slides look like so much fun! There is an ice skating rink, and the ice shows are impressive. (Bring jeans and socks if you want to go ice skating yourself!). The kids might enjoy the rock climbing wall and mini golf. There are lots of options on Coco Cay. Yes, some are extra cost, but you can still enjoy the island for free. (We were supposed to go on Mariner earlier this month, but had to cancel it when my husband got a new job. So sad! I wanted to see Coco and the newly updated Mariner!). It’s nice that the Windjammer buffet is open for dinner every night. It’s a nice option when you really don’t feel like sitting down for a long dinner in the MDR, and I really like the variety on the buffet a night.
This. We’ve never done Disney but I can’t imagine it’s worth double the price for similar accommodations. We will be doing Disney this summer though and we’ll be able to see if the hype is real.

Depending on how last minute you are booking, Jan/Feb is also Kids sail free time for Royal so there may be more kids on board than you think. My sister has sailed on the refurbed Mariner and loved it. I would pick Royal over Disney in a heartbeat. (I have never sailed Disney cruise line but absolutely LOVE Royal. My kids would (and have on occasion) picked a Royal cruise over a Disneyworld trip.

Wonder numerous times, Oasis numerous times, just got off Mariner 4 night on Friday and my vote is for ??????

WDW and Mariner

That's a huge upcharge for 1 extra day. Mariner has waterslides, Sky Pad, Laser Tag, rock wall, mini golf, Flowrider (your kids will be too small) and is a great ship. We went on her 2 summers ago and her her booked again this summer with 3.5 days at the parks beforehand. Just check the age/size restrictions though for waterslides, Sky Pad...

Disney is good for little kids as everything caters to them. But Mariner is good too. Our kids didn't go in the kids clubs so can't comment on them, but have heard good things.

There are also shows in the evening. The ice show is a lot of fun, there are production shows and headliners. Lots to enjoy.

They've also done great changes to CoCo Cay. There is a waterpark (need to purchase tickets), an included area for younger kids so that would work for you, a giant pool,and then of course the beach.

Last edited:
When I've been on RC cruises, there are tons of kids. Probably not as much as Disney cruise (never been on DCL), but at the same time you do not necessarily want an abundance of kids on a cruise. Also that price difference! I like the idea of doing Disney before or after your trip.

We love DCL, having done 6 cruises, but now for the price we are RCCL fans. We are doing a back to back 4 and 3 nights so we can go to Coco Cay twice. For the price difference we usually add a WDW vacation before or after our cruise on RCCL.

I posted this on the DCL forum, but I’m posting it here too.
We are booking a last minute cruise, and we are deciding between the two below:
Disney Magic Marvel 5 night Deluxe Inside Stateroom 214 sq ft at $4200 after travel
Agent OBC (Key West, Nassau, Castaway Cay)
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 4 night Inside Stateroom 160 sq ft at $1600 (Nassau, Coco Cay)
Would you jump from Disney to RCCL for this much lower priced cruise even after considering it is one night less?
My husband thinks it is a no brained to go to RCCL, but I love Disney.
We are traveling as 2 adults, 2 kids (4 and 7).
TIA!

OP, what did you decide?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter