"What Would You Do?" TV Show

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
I'm watching "What Would You Do?" (the 9/15 episode - I'm a little behind in my DVR) and they are testing whether people would stop a hazing incident. I am absolutely appalled, because not only are most people not doing anything to stop it, a bunch are helping them do it!!

Anybody else see this? What did you think?

Last edited:
I watch and it was so upsetting to me I had to turn it off. I did not find it entertaining at all. Just confirms all the sickness in this world.

I've been in a few situations where I've actually stepped up, spoke up, did the right thing.
One that COMES TO MIND IS A HIT AND RUN ACCIDENT. I FOLLOWED the fleeing vehicle as did another driver and "WE BOXED HER IN".
Another time I saw a young kid getting out of a car on our local hwy and the car driving off. This kid was young. I turned around and asked if he was Ok, did he need any help. Just me, but I can't stand to see unjust things happen!

I hate this show. I can't even watch it. There are situations where I may not agree but it isn't my business to step in. For example, there was an episode where a girl loudly told her friend she was pregnant. They expected people to address it? Really? In public? NO, I am not doing it.

Another one had a child misbehaving in a restaurant. None of my business and not my place to go tell them how to raise their kid if they aren't abusing him/her.

I hate this show. I can't even watch it. There are situations where I may not agree but it isn't my business to step in. For example, there was an episode where a girl loudly told her friend she was pregnant. They expected people to address it? Really? In public? NO, I am not doing it.

Another one had a child misbehaving in a restaurant. None of my business and not my place to go tell them how to raise their kid if they aren't abusing him/her.

DH is with you. It bothers him to watch. And I get things like the misbehaving kid. - Not much you can do except ask to be moved. But I usually like the show. - It reminds me of how nice people are when someone offers to make up another customer's shortage at the grocery store, or steps in to comfort someone who was treated rudely...that sort of thing.

People were better for rhe girls. No one helped the boys at all

I was glad to see a few people start caring. But I was just as mad for the boys as the girls!

Thinking about it, though, I might have gone straight to calling the cops (or the school) in that case, rather than thinking I could talk sense into them. Maybe people did that, and were clued in, and it just didn't make for good footage?

I saw it. If I recall, there were a few who did say something. I think there are some people who just avoid confrontation and MYOB. Like you, I would've called the police because nothing I could say would've stopped them.

Actually, my first thought was that this scenario is not realistic. Hazing and underage drinking are both illegal. And there's been a lot in the news lately about hazing-related deaths. Which is probably why the show addressed this issue. But I doubt college students would be doing it so blatantly in a public place. Most hazing takes place behind closed doors with those involved sworn to secrecy.

I remember an episode where a "family" (all actors) was out at Sunday dinner, and they were all dressed in the traditional regalia of a religious cult (women in plain dresses, long hair up in bonnets). They had a conversation wherein it became obvious they were marrying off a teenage girl (who couldn't have been a day over 15) to a man who was comfortably in his seventies. They were telling the girl she would learn to submit, it was God's will, yada yada yada.

A few people stepped in, called the cops, etc.

Here's the thing: What possible outcomes are going to manifest by stepping in, calling the cops, whatever?

First of all, in areas where such cults are known to exist (such as the towns where the FLDS/Warren Jeffs cult were active), cops have been known to look the other way at these crimes or, even worse, interfere when state-appointed social workers came a-calling.

Second, what "help" is a stranger (or anyone, for that matter) going to give that girl? Move her away from the only family she's ever known, and into a foster home? Then what? She's going to turn 18 and have little education and no job skills, and she's going to be thrust into a world for which she isn't equipped.

Stopping religious cults from human trafficking of underage girls isn't a thing that's going to be accomplished by random strangers at a restaurant. It's going to require a massive, top-down effort, starting with the Arizona or Utah or whatever state government, down to its social-services infrastructure, to law enforcement, and so on.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!