What would you do?

Aussie Wendy

DIS Veteran
I have just booked a Tokyo stop over at the end of a European trip next Aug/Sept since we were flying JAL anyway. Of course this puts us there only 6 weeks after the Olympics and what I didn't realise arriving in the middle of a 4 day weekend and during "Halloween season". Disney crowd calendar indicates the day after e.g. when the hols fall as a 3 day weekend, the parks are always still very busy so I am anticipating even higher crowds apart from the day we fly out which will be "normal" subject to any post effects of Olympic numbers. This would be our second visit to Tokyo and the parks.

I originally thought we'd spend 1-2 days seeing some of the things we missed last visit in Tokyo and 2-3 days including the day we fly out in the evening, at the parks. There are a couple of well rated hotels within Shin Urayasu station vicinity with what seems like reasonable prices for that time available now, so I am in a dilemma. Do I nab one of these now locking in a reasonable price, easy access to the trains and variety of eating options outside of Disney? Or do I hold off for a vacation package, hope that prices are not completely through the roof for post Olympics (on current pricing through Disney accommodation at an official but non-Disney hotel, the cost is still double what I could pay once the costs of tix etc is deducted) with of course the big advantage that we get guaranteed admission, Fast Passes and park hopping from our first day (plus the other bibs and bobs that aren't really relevant for us) or if we did that, suck up the cost and pay more again for a Disney Hotel with the Happy15 bonus.

I realise it is ultimately our decision but I am a Libran - I struggle choosing between muffin types - what would you do? I guess I am scared of the "Olympics" effect. Also it is not like we will be devastated if we can't ride some of the big headliners though Pooh in TDL is a must. Help me make up my mind!

Since you're clearly an advance planner (like me), I would book one of the available hotels now and ideally find one with a cancellation policy. If not, I'd still book it so I could rest easy that I had an option firmly in place and not be stressing over it between now and then. I think since one of your goals is Tokyo sightseeing you'll be fine outside of the park for your trip, and you're not dead set on needing the extra morning time before park opening from the Disney hotels.

We will be visiting in November 2020 we are leaning to latter part of November as to see the parks decorated for the Holidays...

I believe in booking what you want... this way you will not be sorry once you are there. We have found that getting the room you want is on the top of the list, comfortable bed, nice shower, being able to relax, and sleep well especially when traveling for longer extended times, for us in much needed to recharge yourself, the next day... I know alot of people say, your just going to sleep and shower which is great and everyone travel differently... we like a bit of pampering... falling into a nice comfy bed, and quite room at the end of the day is important to us...

As well this will be the last leg of your trip, I would go with convenience to the parks...less travel time, more park time, especially if the crowds are going to be crazier..... and being closer to the hotel if you decided you need a break, as well closer to the hotel at the end of the day...

Thanks both for your input! NashvilleMama - oh yes, uber planner!! I have nabbed the well priced hotel for our first two nights. They have a regular shuttle to the parks and Shin-Urasayu station (though the latter is easily walkable for us) and they have an Onson. Their refundable prices are quite a bit dearer but thinking I will likely book the next two nights separately then cancel those two if I go with a Disney vacation package but they are certainly an acceptable option if I do decide to just stay there. LovesTimone I agree with your thoughts which is why I might shift the one train stop and stay at an official property the next two nights. While the whole trip is to celebrate a big birthday for me, my actual birthday is our last day in Tokyo - another reason for a splurge don't you think?? Working out what we want to see, what is on FP etc, how long in each parks I want which will help me finally decide. Also need to decide where I want to eat a special birthday lunch or dinner on the Wed day or night. As an aside I am also wondering if Journey will be open next September with the work on the volcano continuing til end October 2020.

Thanks both for your input! NashvilleMama - oh yes, uber planner!! I have nabbed the well priced hotel for our first two nights. They have a regular shuttle to the parks and Shin-Urasayu station (though the latter is easily walkable for us) and they have an Onson. Their refundable prices are quite a bit dearer but thinking I will likely book the next two nights separately then cancel those two if I go with a Disney vacation package but they are certainly an acceptable option if I do decide to just stay there. LovesTimone I agree with your thoughts which is why I might shift the one train stop and stay at an official property the next two nights. While the whole trip is to celebrate a big birthday for me, my actual birthday is our last day in Tokyo - another reason for a splurge don't you think?? Working out what we want to see, what is on FP etc, how long in each parks I want which will help me finally decide. Also need to decide where I want to eat a special birthday lunch or dinner on the Wed day or night. As an aside I am also wondering if Journey will be open next September with the work on the volcano continuing til end October 2020.

Lovestimone here,

It a birthday gift to yourself so splurge...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts