What would you like to see in a disabilities guide book?

SueOKW

Go Tribe!!!
1. How to get to WDW.. plane, train and automobile.. how to talk to the airlines..(this was one of our biggest problems on this trip!!)

2. Where can we eat?

3. How do we get on rides etc?

I forsee eventually starting an outline with all our questions, then under that all our answers? Is that how you start a book RJs Mom?

buzzwoody02.gif

1 Accessiblity to Disney transportation. Which boat are accessible. Which use ramps. Not the standard Disney answer that they all are accessible as per ADA.
2 Accessibility of hotels. Not just the so called accessible rooms, but can an electric wheelchair manuever in a standard room etc.
3 Locations of wheelchair seating for parades and shows.

Pooh

A statement about the overall mission of the work... people with disabilities and special needs NEED vacations. Our lives are often stressful, we have work isues and family issues, we have doctors and therapy visits and insurance and financial burdens that average families do not share. We truly appreciate having a place where we can go that we know we will be welcomed and accomodated, and where the policy is clearly on the side of inclusion and accomodation. But there is still work to be done, there are still problems with the system, and sometimes these problems can interfere with our ability to enjoy the Parks and Resorts. We know that many of these problems can be addressed when people are made aware of the solutions that are available.

On a more down-to-earth point... I would like to see detail maps of the parks that indicted the location of exits and alternative entrances, plus an indication of where people are supposed to wait if they have one of the 4 qualifiers on the GAC. Seems like, a long time ago, somebody put together a long, long post about the locations of alternate entrances...

A discussion about hidden disabilities.
Wheelchair etiquette...
Wheelchair/special stroller tips and hints...
Dealing with staring and comments...
A discussion of pacing...
Tips for folks traveling with children with language delays, learning differences, ADD/ADHD, Autism/PDD, TS, visual impairments, hearing impairments...

more? brainstorm time!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hi folks, It would be lovely to see a page in a guidebook that would encourage the use of PS at resteraunts and a "HOW TO" to get the best table location for your needs. Also another page on "How to" use the CRO to get the rooms that you need for medical reasons. Also, a FAQ page re: refridgerators, medical waste containers, microwave warnings etc....
Also a little pull out section on HOW TO SAFELY DRIVE AN ECV IN WDW. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Also a section dedicated to THE W/C Pusher, telling them where all the big hills are located!!

places to change a diaper for incontinent young adults and older persons in need?

Best places to watch parades...not the awful "wheelchair seating' that affords you a lovely veiw of....not much!

Excellent! The outline is starting to grow...

Teri - you are so right. As you all may know, I've only been back 5 days. I haven't written my Epcot trip report yet, but have for the first three days. At Epcot, Kevin and I were met with so much kindness I was crying a large portion of the day!! My boss (who is a wise man) tells me it's because I have so accepted the everyday challenge of life, that as soon as someone shows a little extra courtesy or kindness, I'm surprise. Well - that's what WDW is for us - a place where, for the most part, we are all cared about and accepted. I think that should be the opener! I will start the outline tomorrow on Excel and then share with anyone who cares...

Keep the ideas coming!

How to get around in the rain - be sure to get the wheel chair an adult size poncho.. (that's on the kid side, what about the adult side? Still work?)

Photo opportunities, planned and unplanned...

I think this should definitly be a separate thread. Additionally, we need to divide the task up into small jobs. When the thread is established, let's make an exhaustive list of all the topics we would like to see covered. If you see a topic listed that you are willing to "chair", please indicate that.

I have a special interest in children who are medically involved, so I'm willing to chair that "chapter".
So many children and adults come on wish trips. There is a definite need for more info. My motto is that other people plan their trips. Those of us with fragile children choreograph them! My daughter and I tour 3-5 hours a day. Our next trip is coming up in two weeks. One of my plans is to keep a log on "wheelchair accessible bathrooms". The companion bathrooms are great when they're available. On RachelJoy's wish trip, it was obvious that some improvements could be made to the others.

I am somewhat new to the net and do not know how to start a thread so I'll leave that to someone else.

I'm excited to think that the Dis'ers of the world could make the Mouse's world even better!

Good start!
It sounds like the best way to go may be to establish some general ideas here and then have threads for each topic. Even if no published book comes out of this, we can get a good short book that could be shared as an internet file -or share the appropriate parts of it. It would also be great to make some short summaries to add to the disability pages (not this Board) on this website. An advantage to that (as opposed to the threads we start) is THAT information is safely stored on a server that isn't affected by softwear updates. Besides, I could keep a copy of it on my hard drive. I will talk to Pete about updating/adding to that info.P

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

I would like to see more information about how to manage the Disney transportation system: buses, monorails, boats, etc. Details about what to expect, what you need to ask for, what can and cannot be done to help you, and how to explain your needs when you don't have a standard wheelchair or scooter but still can't board the "normal" way.

People need to know that the GAP is available. We were carrying our son in all the lines until we just could not do it any more, finally I tried to take our son in the stroller through the lines and I got into a conversation with a CM who told me about the GAP. Also, I don't know if it would be appropriate to post this here, but my friend's daughter was denied a wish from a foundation because she was non-verbal, they told her she needed the cognitive level of a 3yr old to be considered. Anyway, my friend was heart broken because she had not called them in the first place. Well, to make a long story short I got on the phone with Disney and they helped me find an organization in our area that would help them. They were just a bunch of business men who had spaghetti dinners and softball games to raise money to grant wishes, nicest guys I have ever met! Just wanted to share that, I had forgotten all about it. SueOkW-Great Thread!

LvsTnk
'81CR, Poly
'90CBR
'93CBR
'96CBR
'98BWV
'98Dixie
'99CBR
'00BWI(July)'00BWI(Sept)'00BWI(Dec)

A lot of times CRO or CMs think an attraction, transportation, or accomodation is handicapped accessible but it may not be depending upon your personnel situation.

I think they should take a wheel chair for a day at each of the parks, transportation modes, and on-site hotel rooms and collect digital images of the "accessible" ride features, locations of elevators and ramps, a fly through the rooms and then post them on their web site.

People can then access the degree of accessibility themselves and WDW can promote on how accessible they are, not with words, but actual visual documentation.

Many web sites give virtual tours of their facilities WDW could do the same.

But I can't take all the credit for this - this a result of what these boards are good for - sharing info, brainstorming and the ideas that come from that.

For my area of expertise that I am willing to work on - I'll be happy to take on the airline transportation issues.

The only other thing I know a lot about is travelling with three kids where one is disabled - (NOT medically fragile) going as a family group, with one other adult to help... (so, see I have it kind of easy!)

RJs Mom - I'll find out airline info. Let me know if you are interested about the second topic. I know entrances etc., for about 1/5 of the rides. I am going again in March - Kev is getting a Make A Wish trip (and guess what, he is NON verbal too!) So, soon I can do some more reconnoitering.

I'll start with airlines, pluses and minuses - and perhaps post here to see horror stories and successes with travel to WDW. (Both here and on the transportation board.) I'll make it clear we are trying to get a succinct document together for WDWINFO and perhaps future publication. How's that, all????

Sue - by all means, feel free to "chair" 2 different areas. What is the best way to collate all the info? Should I post my actual email address? I'm a little hesitant to do that. Once we have a good list of topics, I'd like to see people offer their questions, experiences and recommendations for as many of the topics as possible. I am excited about just guiding the process along and seeing where it goes. I don't have any set format or agenda for it. There are so many creative people on this board.

RachelJoy and I will leave our home 2 weeks from yesterday and arrive at WDW on Sun the 29th. She cannot tolerate the trip in one day, so we fly and rest and then fly again. We will be there for an extended stay and will be moving to 3 different resorts so I should have a fair amount of info to pass on when we get back.

Please pray for her as we are into the final 2 weeks of waiting. She took a fall in therapy yesterday and has had a few more seizures than she usually has. By tonight she seemed back to her old self again. Is there anyone else out there who walks this kind of tightrope? RachelJoy is adopted and i feel so blessed to be a part of her life, but there are times when it's quite stressful. I daily thank the Lord for His kindness to us.

I would recommend the Starlight Foundation for wishes for children who are non verbal or developmentally delayed. They were wonderful for us to work with. I sent a video so they could see that RachelJoy clearly could indicate what she wanted for her wish. They did a fabulous job.

Now, for some badly needed sleep...

This thread is moving along really nicely. I am willing to take a topic and help out anywhere. We've got lots of experience traveling to WDW ourselves and because of work experiences, I have information about disabilities I don't have personal experience with and I've got resources I can ask some "rehab" type questions about. I think some of our regulars who haven't posted on this thread may not be able to get so involved as to do a book project, but probably will help us out with specific questions in their area.
As for sharing info with each other: I think a couple of people on a topic would be helpful becasue you can bounce things off each other and then solicit info from the rest of us. Whoever is doing that topic could exchange email addresses. My email is public on the boards, so you can email me and I can get you in touch with each other.

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

I'm listed as well. Please feel free to e-mail me directly. RJs Mom, feel free to e-mail me too.

SueM - I think you should investigate entrances etc., while you are there? Also, experiences with your trip. And you know that great list you have of "things to remember". I may still have a print of that if you don't. I have my trip reports going right now, but didn't mention many access issues.

RJM - Your travel experiences will be very helpful to the "getting there" topic! So, hopefully you can find time to journal that. If you all e-mail me what ever you think of, I will be happy to be the secretary - and I will run spell check as that word doesn't look right!

Whatever I can do to help this thing get and stay moving, I will do. It took me so much time and work to get as far as I have, and I know there is so much more still to learn. Just think - if other people knew how great WDW is for disabled folks, that if they had a guide, maybe more would go! My sister in law is a flight attendant. From her I should get all the airline protocol for all types of disabilities - guide animals, kids, adults, etc.

Everyone had so many good suggestions I will go ahead with an outline to share with SueM and RJM. Anyone else interested, let me know. I'll put names next to the topic volunteers? And, can't each topic can have more than one volunteer? Teamwork can make every job lighter. I will start my outline on Monday. (Probably not in the correct outline style, but the gist will be there! I'll do it on Word.)

If there is something I missed, please let me know. Teri, your post on the general mission is inspirational - hopefully you can expand?

Looks like we need an ECV experienced person to give some input on the World from that aspect.

OK - let me know if I've over or under (highly unlikely for me) stated anything. If I get too gerneralissimo, let me know. I am really only trying to keep momentum, but can take criticism very easily, as I like to think I have little or no ego. (My boss sees to that!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

Sue

on our last trip, Katrina was on Barnstormer (her first roller coaster) and TOT, so she' now been on every ride except Space Mountain, Rock N Roller Coaster and BTMRR at one time or another. We won't be going again until March or April, but just got back, so things are fresh in my mind.
Someone who is not dealing with disabilities, but does read our board offered editing services. That might not be a bad idea, to get someone who is very objective (since she doesn't have any experience) involved.
Also, the husband of my secretarty at work is also a flight attendant. Once you have the travel issues done, I could see if he would be willing to read it and offer suggestions. The more eyes that see it to start with, the less info we will miss.

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

How about wheelchar as a weapon. Just kidding.

Really, I would like to see detailed instructions on how to find the companion restrooms. The one in AK near the tusker house is very hard to find the first time. Even after asking we still had a long search.

Also including tid bits regarding what you miss if you don't transfer (and can) at attractions such as Tough to be a bug et al. Could help folks make informed decissions.

A discussion on various types of disabilities and while some attractions my be do able for some folk, we all need to make up our own minds as to what a body can stand. It would also be helpful to include definitions of Disney terms. For example the use the term "high speed turbulent ride" terms like hard unexpected jerks or bumps designed to make riders leave their seats. A TOT warning regarding really thin people riding under the same lap bar with folks of substantial girth you can really get some air time. This can mean the difference between a smooth drop and a bone crunching ride. This could be a general lap bar warning.

Looking forward to the finished product. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Now why didnt we have this board when I was looking into what it takes to write a handi WDW book last yr?? I tried for months but every door I went to to get help/info to know how I could get a book published if i wrote it got slammed....SIGN ME UP!!! I wanna help....I really really do!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

cokewheelin.gif

If your gonna be in WDW December 5th then come to a DIS meet @ Spoodles on the BoardWal

I hope LindaDVC sees this thread. Her experience as an OT is invaluable. The PTA in me is always thinking when I read the posts. My experiences since becoming "disabled" since the accident have allowed me to temper my therapist-based viewpoints. Is the book you are discussing for WDW only? Would you like to add the Disney Cruise line? I am hoping that accessability for island excursions will improve soon. It would be nice to hear from some of the visually/hearing impaired dis'ers re: their needs in the book. This thread is moving right along. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I would like to see a separate listing that listed all the rides you don’t have to transfer to. I didn’t know that the Pooh ride had a car you could go on in your wheelchair and the CM didn’t offer me the chance to wait. It wasn’t until we got home and I really looked at the guide that I noticed it existed which really floored me since the CM apologized over and over again for moving my oldest DD’s chair so far down after he saw me struggle to carry her to her chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter