What would you say? Would you be upset?

Birdie dog

DIS Veteran
I'll start off by saying that I'm very involved in dog rescue and wouldn't begrudge a penny I've spent to give an animal a better life, but I'm still frustrated by this....

I was on vacation in Mexico and looking at my facebook feed when a sad little chihuahua showed up. He was in a shelter in a poor town in my state and he had a badly broken leg. The shelter was looking for a rescue to take him in but ortho injuries are very expensive, so whoever took him would have to pay to repair his leg.

I texted a friend of mine who runs a rescue. I asked her if she could pull him and said I would foster him (in my head it was potentially adopt also) and pay all of his medical including surgery to fix his leg. I offered to pick him up from her as soon as we returned- which would be in a few days. She pulled him. When I got home, I texted her and told her I'd take him, but she said she'd keep him at her house until after his surgery. She was afraid that he'd get injured either by my stairs (we live in an elevated house) or my other little dogs. I said that was fine, but re-iterated that I would take full responsibility for him. I went to meet him, he had his vet appointments and I found out that the leg had been broken for too long and they couldn't guarantee that it could be repaired. Amputation was suggested- and the vet said he'd be much happier with three legs and less pain. I agreed. I also promised to fork over $1200 to cover the surgery.

He went in for surgery and my friend messaged me that the vet was awesome and volunteered to keep him for the weekend (surgery was on a Friday) to make sure that he would do well with the anesthesia. I agreed. Early the following week, I went to visit him at the vet's office. I brought him chick filet and sat with him but didn't take him home. The plan was now that I'd pick him up once his narcotic pain patch was removed. Again, it was thought with the stairs, dogs etc, he needed a little time to heal. I agreed a bit more reluctantly this time. I wanted to get him settled at home, but I wasn't about to refuse what the vet was saying was in his best interest. After the visit, I paid the $1200.

The following week, I messaged my friend to work out picking him up. She asked if I wanted to adopt him and I said I didn't know yet. He'd never been around my guys and I'd have to see how he managed with the stairs and business of my house. (I have 5 little dogs running around). My friend told me that the vet wanted to adopt him. I felt horrible saying no to the vet as my goal was to get him out of the shelter, get his leg fixed and make sure he had a wonderful home. I accomplished all of these things. BUT, I PAID the vet $1200 to do surgery on a dog they kept. I paid a surgical fee $500 (?) for a vet to treat their own dog.

I'm having a hard time getting over this. I know my friend who does rescue knows I'm upset, and I understand that her number one priority is getting dogs into good loving homes. I know she pulled the dog under her rescue. BUT, he was pulled *for me* and with my financial backing. Although I didn't refuse to let the vet adopt the dog, I think it's common decency at the least for the vet to refund me the money I spent to fix HER DOG.

What do you all think?

I texted a friend of mine who runs a rescue. I asked her if she could pull him and said I would foster him (in my head it was potentially adopt also) and pay all of his medical including surgery to fix his leg.

I mean, you said you would pay for the surgery. Did you stipulate you would only do so if you got to keep the dog?

I mean, you said you would pay for the surgery. Did you stipulate you would only do so if you got to keep the dog?
I did not. And that's why I didn't stand in the way of his adoption. But when it's the vet that's doing the adopting, and keeping him right after I paid for his surgery, that's what I have a problem with. I think she should have paid for her dog herself. I could have used the money to help another.

I am soooo not a pet person but I completely agree with you. It's absurd the vet charged you for her own services to treat what became her own dog. I'd bring this up directly with the vet though, not my friend from the rescue organization.

What do you all think?
I probably would have said "Sure, let the vet adopt the dog, as long as the vet pays me back for the surgery."

As it was, the understanding was that you would pay for the surgery, and give the dog a try to see if you would/could adopt it. You weren't given the option of the trial period. I would have insisted on the trial period, with the understanding that the vet would have first shot at adopting if it didn't work out. At that time, I wouldn't have required the vet to repay the surgery cost, as the understanding was "I'll pay, and give it a try at adoption". The adoption didn't work, but you did a good thing to help get the dog a good home.

I'll start off by saying that I'm very involved in dog rescue and wouldn't begrudge a penny I've spent to give an animal a better life, but I'm still frustrated by this....

I was on vacation in Mexico and looking at my facebook feed when a sad little chihuahua showed up. He was in a shelter in a poor town in my state and he had a badly broken leg. The shelter was looking for a rescue to take him in but ortho injuries are very expensive, so whoever took him would have to pay to repair his leg.

I texted a friend of mine who runs a rescue. I asked her if she could pull him and said I would foster him (in my head it was potentially adopt also) and pay all of his medical including surgery to fix his leg. I offered to pick him up from her as soon as we returned- which would be in a few days. She pulled him. When I got home, I texted her and told her I'd take him, but she said she'd keep him at her house until after his surgery. She was afraid that he'd get injured either by my stairs (we live in an elevated house) or my other little dogs. I said that was fine, but re-iterated that I would take full responsibility for him. I went to meet him, he had his vet appointments and I found out that the leg had been broken for too long and they couldn't guarantee that it could be repaired. Amputation was suggested- and the vet said he'd be much happier with three legs and less pain. I agreed. I also promised to fork over $1200 to cover the surgery.

He went in for surgery and my friend messaged me that the vet was awesome and volunteered to keep him for the weekend (surgery was on a Friday) to make sure that he would do well with the anesthesia. I agreed. Early the following week, I went to visit him at the vet's office. I brought him chick filet and sat with him but didn't take him home. The plan was now that I'd pick him up once his narcotic pain patch was removed. Again, it was thought with the stairs, dogs etc, he needed a little time to heal. I agreed a bit more reluctantly this time. I wanted to get him settled at home, but I wasn't about to refuse what the vet was saying was in his best interest. After the visit, I paid the $1200.

The following week, I messaged my friend to work out picking him up. She asked if I wanted to adopt him and I said I didn't know yet. He'd never been around my guys and I'd have to see how he managed with the stairs and business of my house. (I have 5 little dogs running around). My friend told me that the vet wanted to adopt him. I felt horrible saying no to the vet as my goal was to get him out of the shelter, get his leg fixed and make sure he had a wonderful home. I accomplished all of these things. BUT, I PAID the vet $1200 to do surgery on a dog they kept. I paid a surgical fee $500 (?) for a vet to treat their own dog.

I'm having a hard time getting over this. I know my friend who does rescue knows I'm upset, and I understand that her number one priority is getting dogs into good loving homes. I know she pulled the dog under her rescue. BUT, he was pulled *for me* and with my financial backing. Although I didn't refuse to let the vet adopt the dog, I think it's common decency at the least for the vet to refund me the money I spent to fix HER DOG.

What do you all think?
I think you should get your money back

I would take this as a lesson learned and make it a partial gift. I would request at least a 50% refund since you did intend to try and adopt the dog. In going forward though, any dog you recuse/sponsor there needs to be a written contract for that dog and for your protection before you pay any funds so something like this won’t happen again.

Maybe it is a misunderstanding. Maybe the vet just thought the dog was going to be looking for a home once the leg was fixed and that you and your friend were just helping get the dog healthy. The vet may not have known you were going to adopt the dog.
It sounds like your friend and the vet had a conversation about the future of the dog.

I wish this little dog a happy, safe life now that he is on the road to recovery AND I hope you get your money back from the vet.
It’s the right thing for the vet to do!

The vef can have right of first refusal after you. You take dog home on trial. If it works out, you keep him. If not then vet adopts. Payment for surgery not an issue in this scenario

If they are not giving YOU first shot at adoption, then vet should reimburse you.

It can't hurt to have a conversation with the vet about it. Maybe she could even comp you the same amount in services which you could then use for your own dogs. It sounds like your hands are pretty full. You did a good thing, you rescued the dog. And maybe your home wouldn't be the right fit if that's what your rescue friend thinks - she presumably knows the situation better than any of us do. Let the dog go with the vet, but have a conversation with her about the money you paid for the surgery thinking the dog was going to be yours. It seems only fair.

Have you spoken directly to the vet about this (not through your friend)? If not, the vet may very well be planning to pay you back some or all of the medical costs. I think I would speak to the vet directly. Let her know you paid the bills because you had planned to adopt the dog. However, given the dog's medical issues, you do see the value in allowing the vet to adopt him instead. Ask her if she would consider refunding some or all of your $1200. The worst she can say is no. Then you can decide if you want to try taking the dog home or leaving him with the vet.

The vet might have been thinking of you as being tied up in this rescue organization, you paid the money and were going to foster the dog. That part is done and over with. Now as a next step they figure you want to find a home for the dog and she feels she can step up and provide one. So, she could think of it as two good deeds, 1. the surgery on the dog at possibly a reduced rate (since many vets do that for rescues) and then 2. she steps up and adopts the dog. I would make it clear to the vet that you are a private individual who funded this surgery because you wanted the dog, if she sees it from your point of view she might just reimburse. (I would include what you said about you then being able to help out another dog with that money). If she refused I'd be ticked but not unless I explained the situation to her first.

First.... The way this all went down was just not good.
A lot of hemming and hawing and no serious discussion.
These things should have been worked out, immediately, once the vet showed any interest.
Hindsight!!!

If you paid the vet bill.... took the dog from the vet facilities, and then decided it was best to adopt the dog out to a different home... then yes, you should, and obviously would, cover the expenses.

If the vet decides to keep the dog, and you were not given the opportunity to take the dog into your home. Then, yes, I do feel that they should waive all of his vet expenses. But, in a case like this, what is the right thing isn't always what happens. It might be too late to address this now... but when it comes this this amount of money, and a case like this, one can't always count on that 'common decency'.

Some have mentioned the vet "waiving all expenses" type thing.

Unless she owns the practice, she might not be able to do that.

If she doesn't own the practice, it might literally be a matter of the vet personally reimbursing the OP for the $1200. She will have to decide if that's something she wants and can afford to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter