What would your dream job be? REALISTICALLY

Domo

Wotcha
So no chocolate testers or multi-billion pound CEOs!

For me, I'd love to be a psychiatrist, hopefully providing people with care and attention.

My parents travel a lot. When they were touring the Galapagos via a small cruise-ship, there was this guy with them on their tour. He worked for the tour company. His job that year was to go on every tour the company offered and photograph it, so that they could use his photos for their promotional brochures. My dad has, incidentally, shown up in several brochures since then.

That is the best job I have ever heard of.

really....if I was younger, I would become a pastry chef
This is seriously hard practical and theoretical work and transcends the ability to decorate pretty. It's also achievable at your age:)

It was my initial goal when I entered college but Baking 101 with Professor Buscatto(sp?) made me doubt my direction and Pastry 101 with Professor Panzarino confirmed it; a pastry chef I would never be. I ultimately found my niche in hotel, restaurant, and property administration and went on to Cornell U. and NYU. This doesn't change that the dedication and attention to details began in my freshman year and my starting professors helped to shaped my path.
Here's an article about my life changing teacher:

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/03/08/archives/a-city-school-helping-cooks-become-chefs.html

I've always thought I'd be really good doing Samantha Brown's job on the Travel Channel.

A little more realistically, I think I'd like something w/ interior design.

I also love party & event planning, but I wouldn't want to work weekends.

I thought my "dream job" was being a funeral director - until I actually took a shot at it. Turns out it would never pay as much as I wanted and there were a few really, really horrible aspects to it that I just couldn't be at peace with.

Last edited:
I wanted to be a doctor when I was a kid, although at this point I think it wouldn't have been my calling. I'm a bit squeamish about blood and guts, even though some specialities don't have to deal with that. Still - someone I know pretty well is a doctor and it kind of surprised me that he could afford a Ferrari.

Other than that, I thought maybe writing. However, I realized early on that most jobs as a writer didn't pay that well. Or at least toiling away at junior reporter positions or something similar for years before moving up in seniority.

Consultant for my sorority's national office so that I could get paid to travel around the country and go help out with recruitment all year long.

So no chocolate testers or multi-billion pound CEOs!

For me, I'd love to be a psychiatrist, hopefully providing people with care and attention.

I've seen some "puff pieces" from local television stations regarding various jobs. One was for the taster at Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream in Oakland, California. It's now owned by Nestle, but somehow they're still in Oakland. I remember they showed what he did all day, which was to check for consistency. However, he didn't really consume more than one normal serving a day. He was generally spitting it out like it was a wine tasting competition.

I looked it up and I think he's retired by now. Even has his own Wikipedia entry. Apparently he even used a gold-plated spoon because it didn't affect the taste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison_(ice_cream_taster)
https://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/meet-the-chef/the-man-with-the-million-dollar-taste-buds

Another one was at the super secret Clorox testing facility - also in Oakland. They didn't give the address for some reason. They had a row of toilets where they tested products, and I believe one employee was tasked with smelling the toilets. I don't know exactly how they replicated what actually goes in a toilet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter