What would your dream job be? REALISTICALLY

I would be a real estate agent, just because I looooove looking at houses. I am not very competitive though, so I don't think it would be a good job for me.

Ha! :laughing: Most of us aren’t going to ever be rich anyway. :goodvibes

Interestingly, I very recently checked out the Calgary.ca recruitment page for emergency-response operators. After 8 years service the wage tops out (for non-management) around $85,000 not including overtime, with gold-plated City benefits. Not too shabby. Unfortunately for me, I’m at a stage in life where I couldn’t afford the time it would take to attain that income level; the starting wage is about 1/2 that. I’m stuck, so to speak, in a tough, unsatisfying, well-paying job. :scratchin Dreams will have to remain just that.

My husband was a 911 dispatcher for a couple of years while he was finishing his paramedic program. He made $12.75 an hour, and that wasn't very many years ago.

My husband was a 911 dispatcher for a couple of years while he was finishing his paramedic program. He made $12.75 an hour, and that wasn't very many years ago.
:confused3 Minimum wage for kids flipping burgers here is $15.00/hr.

I've read DIS discussions of what seem like shockingly low rates of pay for LOA, firefighters and paramedics in different parts of the States. Here in Canada those professions are reasonably well compensated and of course, they deserve every penny. This is a very large urban area and police, firemen, paramedics and emergency-dispatch are all unionized City employees. Paramedics make an average salary of +/-$63,000/yr before overtime ($33/hr.).
https://ca.indeed.com/salaries/Paramedic-Salaries-at-Alberta-Health-Services,-Calgary-AB

Last edited:
I would love to open and run my own heavy duty diesel shop. DH and I met doing this, but after I got injured, I had to take a less physical job. I would love to open my own shop and run it.

When my shop is running itself, I want to open a rescue for giant breed dogs. Too many people get them as pups and abandon them once they hit the triple digits in weight. I already have my name picked out for the rescue!

Ha! :laughing: Most of us aren’t going to ever be rich anyway. :goodvibes

Interestingly, I very recently checked out the Calgary.ca recruitment page for emergency-response operators. After 8 years service the wage tops out (for non-management) around $85,000 not including overtime, with gold-plated City benefits. Not too shabby. Unfortunately for me, I’m at a stage in life where I couldn’t afford the time it would take to attain that income level; the starting wage is about 1/2 that. I’m stuck, so to speak, in a tough, unsatisfying, well-paying job. :scratchin Dreams will have to remain just that.

I applied the same summer I got married and made it through the entire process then Calgary decided it wasn't going to move EMS dispatch to their own site and they didn't need/have room for more operators so they cut us all from the process on December 21st (Merry Christmas). As soon as you enter the application process if you're cut for any reason you have a three year deferment... can't wait for December 21st so I can reapply!

Last edited:

Realistically I have my dream job. Never want to do anything else. I wake up wanting to go to work. At the end of a long (often 12 hours) day I'm happy I can do it again the next day. On my vacations I look forward to getting back to work.

Realistically I have my dream job. Never want to do anything else. I wake up wanting to go to work. At the end of a long (often 12 hours) day I'm happy I can do it again the next day. On my vacations I look forward to getting back to work.

Sounds awesome! What do you do?

I had my dream job. I was a designer and illustrator for a company that makes holiday decorations. I got to really *use* my creativity, and I worked for some really big companies who licensed products through the company-Budweiser, Campbell's Soup, Lionel Trains. Then I went down with Depression and Anxiety and *snaps fingers* there it all went. I would like to draw professionally again someday.

I had my dream job. I was a designer and illustrator for a company that makes holiday decorations. I got to really *use* my creativity, and I worked for some really big companies who licensed products through the company-Budweiser, Campbell's Soup, Lionel Trains. Then I went down with Depression and Anxiety and *snaps fingers* there it all went. I would like to draw professionally again someday.

Man, I'm sorry depression hit you :( It can be a mean illness.

There is one profession I'd love but is outside the realm of probability - 1st class flight travel reviewer. There's this one guy who is invited on the maiden voyages of each route and plane around the globe by all the top airliners and all he has to do is say how nice first class is!

I almost have my dream job. I work at home as a high school teacher. I love the flexibility, but, currently, my job is tied to my state. I can;t work in other states or countries. I am looking forward to moving to a work at home teaching position that allows me to travel and spend extensive time in other states and countries.

I want this woman's job so that my photo could be in every elevator in North Carolina.

1010488_545133545586294_690456778960383506_n.jpg

I've already had one of my dream jobs.. musician at Disneyland. Not a career path, though... the pay was mediocre, but it was fun.

I prefer living on my day job and getting lots of extra money playing on the side instead.

If you don’t mind my asking, what music we’re you playing in the park? I’m a pianist and have been looking into what a Disneyland musician job might look like. If you have some time and don’t mind some questions it would be great to get more of your thoughts and experiences with Disney!

I guess I'm lucky because I really like what I do, I'd just like to do it in a nice location. 30 years ago I was in the Navy stationed in the Caribbean--temperature there today will be about 83 with light breeze and abundant sun. Sounds pretty good to me right now where it's currently 22. I guess my 2nd choice would be travel writing or producing videos/tours, like Rick Steves.

Last edited:
Stay at home mom

I have been lucky enough to be a work-at-home mom 2 times in my life - once when the kids were very little and DH and I owned our own business, and again for the past year for my current company as a remote employee when they closed our local office - and while it's been a live-saver at times, I dream of the day when I can ditch the working part and just do the stay at home part.

And this isn't to start a mommy war. Stay at home moms work too. Trust me, I know. That's why it's my dream job.

My 2nd dream job would either be to be a set designer for plays/TV/movies, or an interior designer for real estate developers (or any company....I'm just thinking about how fun it was to work with the interior designers when we were building our 2nd house and how I remember how I thought I would have loved to work there with them).

Instead, I look at spreadsheets full of data to analyze all day, and figure out how to solve problems that other people created. Where did I go wrong in life lol

Last edited:
Since I wasn't able to be a stay at home mom I would LOVE to be a stay at home grandmother :) my first grandchild is arriving in May and WOW would it be a blessing to be able to quit my job and just watch my grand babies. Be a hands on grandmother - teach them all sorts of things. Keep them busy with outside adventures - not dependent on electronic devices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter