Whatever happened to Cars Land

TiggerBouncy

DIS Veteran
I could swear I remember at some point hearing that Lights, Motors, Action! Was going to be replaced by a replica (more or less) of the Cars land from DisneyLand. I think the original announcement had called for Toy Story Land and Cars Land. Then Star Wars Land was added to the mix.

I have heard plenty of updates about Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land. Did I imagine Cars Land? Or was it quietly scrapped? Or is it still being built but overshadowed?

I could swear I remember at some point hearing that Lights, Motors, Action! Was going to be replaced by a replica (more or less) of the Cars land from DisneyLand. I think the original announcement had called for Toy Story Land and Cars Land. Then Star Wars Land was added to the mix.

I have heard plenty of updates about Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land. Did I imagine Cars Land? Or was it quietly scrapped? Or is it still being built but overshadowed?
Cars land was heavily rumored at one point but never announced.

So not quite imagined, but it was never official, and I am guessing has been scrapped or at least on permanent hold due to other projects. That about right?

Thank you! My friend will be disappointed to hear that. Her son is a huge fan of Lightening.

So not quite imagined, but it was never official, and I am guessing has been scrapped or at least on permanent hold due to other projects. That about right?

Thank you! My friend will be disappointed to hear that. Her son is a huge fan of Lightening.
I don’t see Carsland coming to WDW anytime soon if ever at this point.

I don’t see Carsland coming to WDW anytime soon if ever at this point.

What were the other "third land" (or Phase 3) rumors for Hollywood Studios? I mean, I'm sure there were a ton of them, but ones that actually had some traction. Was Monstropolis ever thrown into the ring, or an Incredibles land?

What were the other "third land" (or Phase 3) rumors for Hollywood Studios? I mean, I'm sure there were a ton of them, but ones that actually had some traction. Was Monstropolis ever thrown into the ring, or an Incredibles land?
Originally way back when you had a less ambitious Star Wars land going where Indiana Jones is. Then you had a Carsland replica going where LMA/Backlot was and some other general rides Pixar related going next to that. Monstropolis was rumored at one point too.

I had high hopes that CarsLand was coming to FL. I love, love, love CarsLand in DCA. They've done such a great job creating it there that when you walk in you say to yourself "this is where they shot the movie". (Yes, I know it was all digital creation, not real). All the details are great and you really fell like you are there. Especially as night falls and the neon lights turn on and the music come sup. Wow.

Sadly, it doesn't seem like that will happen here in FL. At least not in the next 5 years.

I had high hopes that CarsLand was coming to FL. I love, love, love CarsLand in DCA. They've done such a great job creating it there that when you walk in you say to yourself "this is where they shot the movie". (Yes, I know it was all digital creation, not real). All the details are great and you really fell like you are there. Especially as night falls and the neon lights turn on and the music come sup. Wow.

Sadly, it doesn't seem like that will happen here in FL. At least not in the next 5 years.
I think at this point they’ll keep it unique to DCA.

I still feel a 3rd land will come to DHS eventually after SWGE dies down.

Either retheme the end of Sunset Boulevard to be Marvel based (just re-skin the date Rock-N-Roller coaster) and make Tower of Terror into Mission Breakout.
While Tower of Terror is iconic (and I hope it never goes as it fits into the old Hollywood theme of Sunset Boulevard), Rock-N-Roller coaster just never has fit to me. It wasn't about movies and wasn't about "old Hollywood" . .it was a just a high-thrill attraction shoe-horned into a park that needed them.

OR

Change the west side of Echo Lake (Star Tours, Jedi Training, Indiana Jones, the old "Sounds Dangerous" theatre) into a new themed land.
Star Tours makes no sense outside of SWGE unless it could somehow EXIT into SWGE as an interactive "entrance" into it, but seems way too far away to do that. And since they don't feel the need to redo the stunt show after 30 years, it is just dated .. and also doesn't fit into the new theme of DHS since it is the only remaining attraction that is about "making of movies"

Or

Tear down the animation courtyard and all of its attractions for a themed land there.
Doesn't really make sense to have a non-immersive Launch Bay on the opposite side of the park as SWGE (though I don't know where in the new land they would host meet and greets like they have in the launch bay).

Either retheme the end of Sunset Boulevard to be Marvel based (just re-skin the date Rock-N-Roller coaster) and make Tower of Terror into Mission Breakout.
While Tower of Terror is iconic (and I hope it never goes as it fits into the old Hollywood theme of Sunset Boulevard), Rock-N-Roller coaster just never has fit to me. It wasn't about movies and wasn't about "old Hollywood" . .it was a just a high-thrill attraction shoe-horned into a park that needed them.

OR

Change the west side of Echo Lake (Star Tours, Jedi Training, Indiana Jones, the old "Sounds Dangerous" theatre) into a new themed land.
Star Tours makes no sense outside of SWGE unless it could somehow EXIT into SWGE as an interactive "entrance" into it, but seems way too far away to do that. And since they don't feel the need to redo the stunt show after 30 years, it is just dated .. and also doesn't fit into the new theme of DHS since it is the only remaining attraction that is about "making of movies"

Or

Tear down the animation courtyard and all of its attractions for a themed land there.
Doesn't really make sense to have a non-immersive Launch Bay on the opposite side of the park as SWGE (though I don't know where in the new land they would host meet and greets like they have in the launch bay).
Launch bay is supposedly going away once galaxys edge opens. That’s the area where I’d advocate for a new land/redo of the area, but I don’t know how much room they actually have in that section

Last edited:

OR

Or

Won't be Marvel, I don't think from what I have seen most insiders only have Marvel for now in Epcot.

There are still rumors of a "Shanghai POTC" coming to DHS, to replace potentially Indy show. That could help, but it leaves the area of animation totally empty.

But to be clear last I heard there will be no third world added to DHS, just some additions(1 ride or attraction) and some more sprucing.

Launch bay is supposedly going away once galaxys edge opens. That’s the area where I’d advocate for a new land/redo of the area, but I don’t know how much room they actually have in that section

the Launch Bay itself seems pretty big .. take away some back-stage areas and the plot of land is decent for a new attraction or two and using the "Courtyard" as a new entrance or hosting other new attractions.

It's a dream, but definitely seems like a waste to leave that building empty surrounded by two old and not-so-popular shows.
Maybe redo the whole area to a Disney Junior themed area.

the Launch Bay itself seems pretty big .. take away some back-stage areas and the plot of land is decent for a new attraction or two and using the "Courtyard" as a new entrance or hosting other new attractions.

It's a dream, but definitely seems like a waste to leave that building empty surrounded by two old and not-so-popular shows.
Maybe redo the whole area to a Disney Junior themed area.
My only issue with taking more backstage is there’s not a lot of it to begin with, or space in general for that park to expand. A former CM or @rteetz may be able to vouch for what I’m saying, but that’s at least the impression I’ve gotten (it’s kinda up against world drive)

My only issue with taking more backstage is there’s not a lot of it to begin with, or space in general for that park to expand. A former CM or @rteetz may be able to vouch for what I’m saying, but that’s at least the impression I’ve gotten (it’s kinda up against world drive)
There are a lot of backstage offices in that area. Of course they could relocate some of that but I doubt they want to unless they have to.

Maybe TSL is expanded to the animation courtyard to add a few other Pixar attractions. As for the other side, I would have preferred they move SWGE to include Star Tours and Muppets area. That way their most popular IP could have 3 attractions and perhaps 4 or space for another restaurant or shopping area where Muppets and Mama Melrose is.

The Indy show really needs to go. Could get several attractions in that area and the Echo lake area. Now maybe they convert ST to an Indy simulator and update the stunt show.

Maybe TSL is expanded to the animation courtyard to add a few other Pixar attractions. As for the other side, I would have preferred they move SWGE to include Star Tours and Muppets area. That way their most popular IP could have 3 attractions and perhaps 4 or space for another restaurant or shopping area where Muppets and Mama Melrose is.

The Indy show really needs to go. Could get several attractions in that area and the Echo lake area. Now maybe they convert ST to an Indy simulator and update the stunt show.
Ya .. I think the Animation courtyard area is big enough to do something else with without digging into backstage areas. I mean the courtyard area itself is pretty good way to tie three new attractions/shows together to make a new "mini" land. I mean, it already has an entrance archway! They could even eat into One Man's Dream.

My dream is they figure some tunnel or covered walkway to just divert guests exiting Star Tours and around Mama Melrose into SWGE.

But .. all dreaming, as I doubt they will feel the need to do anything else with DHS after SWGE unless they feel the "old" attractions aren't drawing enough crowds away from SWGE or Toy Story Land. As dated as a lot of us veterans feel Indy Stunt Show is .. it probably still draws big crowds in its limited showings.

Ya .. I think the Animation courtyard area is big enough to do something else with without digging into backstage areas. I mean the courtyard area itself is pretty good way to tie three new attractions/shows together to make a new "mini" land. I mean, it already has an entrance archway! They could even eat into One Man's Dream.

My dream is they figure some tunnel or covered walkway to just divert guests exiting Star Tours and around Mama Melrose into SWGE.

But .. all dreaming, as I doubt they will feel the need to do anything else with DHS after SWGE unless they feel the "old" attractions aren't drawing enough crowds away from SWGE or Toy Story Land. As dated as a lot of us veterans feel Indy Stunt Show is .. it probably still draws big crowds in its limited showings.
Would be great if they made a tunnel or path to keep SW themes from ST to SWGE, would be cheaper and better way to add an attraction to that land and be able to keep MM and Muppets intact.

I am sure you are right about Indy, it's a massive theater and probably draws good crowds and keeps them there for a while. It also has a smaller footprint than the LMA and backlot did which also ate crowds but probably not worth the footprint. Enough people who don't go often (myself included) probably hit Indy every time they go or every other time and any 1st timers.

I'd leave RnRC and ToT pretty well as is personally but if needed could change minor aspects like swapping Aerosmith out for another band or even a made up group for attraction, and could drop Twilight Zone from ToT if they want but keep the overall feel of it. They could probably keep the story itself the exact same just change the pre-show so it's not made to look like TZ and change the 4th dimension floor.
Would like to see Indy and the area around it turned into a new land and the Animation Courtyard turned into a new Pixar themed area.

Cars is a spent property, unfortunately. Although I personally thought Cars 3 was really good, it actually lost money for the studio and all reports point to the once-powerful merchandise sales as weak these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter