Whatever happened to the Dutch Inn?

OnePrincessMom

Mouseketeer
I remember staying at the Dutch Inn around 1980. What happened to that hotel? Is it still there and renamed, or was it torn down? Just curious, I remember the pool shaped like a windmill. and I remember being close to Lake Buena Vista.

Thanks!!

Here is what I found on good 'ole Wikipedia:

"Wyndham Lake Buena Vista is a 626-room resort situated on the property of Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. It is located at 1850 Hotel Plaza Blvd., across from the Downtown Disney area.

The hotel originally opened in October 1972 as the Americana Dutch Inn. It operated under the name until 1985 and in February 1986 it became the Grosvenor Resort. The hotel operated as Best Western Grosvenor for a number of years. On September 1, 2007, the property changed its name to Regal Sun Resort as part of a $25 million renovation. The hotel changed names again on November 20, 2010 when it became Wyndham Lake Buena Vista, operated by Wyndham Hotels & Resorts.

Originally an exterior hotel, and in 1986 a tower section was added in the center of the hotel, which added addional guest rooms with interior access (some providing a Downtown Disney view), meeting space and restaurants. The hotel has 19,000 square feet of meeting space and features a fitness center and two swimming pools."

Thanks OnePrincessMon, I laughed when I read the title of the thread. The Dutch Inn holds a special place in my Disney Memories as it was the hotel I stayed in on my very first Disney visit. I went with my best friend, we were both 19, had never been to Disney or even been on a plane. We reminisce about it often and laugh about the hotel. It was a great trip, thanks for the smile! :goodvibes

I remember staying at the Dutch Inn around 1980. What happened to that hotel? Is it still there and renamed, or was it torn down? Just curious, I remember the pool shaped like a windmill. and I remember being close to Lake Buena Vista.

Thanks!!
I used to spend the day there while my aunt and uncle worked at the Dutch Inn back in the 70s. Great memories in that windmill-shaped pool!

Thanks so much!!
I stayed at The Dutch Inn in May of 1972 or 73, thought for sure 72 but it says here it opened in October 72. I know we flew into Orlando Sanford as there was not even a Orlando International yet...I think it was still McCoy AFB. ... Then in the late 90's l saw it was The Grosvenor when visiting Downtown Disney.

I stayed at The Dutch Inn in May of 1972 or 73, thought for sure 72 but it says here it opened in October 72. I know we flew into Orlando Sanford as there was not even a Orlando International yet...I think it was still McCoy AFB. ... Then in the late 90's l saw it was The Grosvenor when visiting Downtown Disney.
I know this is an old post, but I saw it and wanted to validate you. We stayed at the Dutch Inn in June 1972. Our WDW reservation at the Polynesian was somehow screwed up and after a night or two they moved us to the Dutch Inn. It was definitely not finished at that time - I vividly recall they were still doing exterior painting and I'm not sure what else they were still working on. So maybe the "official" opening was later, but there were definitely people (me!) staying there before that.

I know this is an old post, but I saw it and wanted to validate you. We stayed at the Dutch Inn in June 1972. Our WDW reservation at the Polynesian was somehow screwed up and after a night or two they moved us to the Dutch Inn. It was definitely not finished at that time - I vividly recall they were still doing exterior painting and I'm not sure what else they were still working on. So maybe the "official" opening was later, but there were definitely people (me!) staying there before that.
Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!