Whatever happened to .....????

TeenaS

DIS Veteran
The last time I visited DL was I believe around October 1999. There was a ride that was broken more than it was operating the 4 days I was there. The long long line started (if I remember correctly) on the left as you entered Tomorrowland. The only way I can describe it was a Test Track sort of ride but not nearly as good. It might have been called Rocket Rods or something like that. Anyway, when I mentioned the ride the other day, the person who was just there said there is no such ride like that there. Did I dream it? If it was there and is now gone, what took its place. I remember something else about it ... when you were on the monorail station in Tomorrowland, the car track for that ride went close by you. Am I losing my mind?

Not at all ! the Rocket Rods debuted with the "new " Tomorrowland rehab. It was a semi-thrill ride overlayed on the old peoplemover track. Due to some enginering problems that never worked out......they pulled the plug.

Because Rocket Rods was built on the old people mover tracks, it had no banking. Therefore there was alot more wear and tear on the vehicles than anticipated. There is talk of it coming back for the 50th but with a banking system installed, and a MUCH faster ride, however there is also talk of reinstalling the peoplemover as the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Also, there is talk of Buzz's Spin using part of the track.

We'll see what happens.

All my best
~Tina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter