What's been your experience with PM EMH?

In June 2018 we attend 2 Wed. EMH at Magic Kingdom and both were extremely busy! Lines only seemed to reduce in last hour!

I usually wind up dozing off during it's a small world and the Haunted Mansion towards the end.

I did it two weeks ago for a 10-12 EMH at MK and it really wasn't horrible, the only issue I had was that lines seemed insanely long simply because they have to scan everyones magic bands before they can get in line for the ride. So you walk up to Space and the line is back to Auntie Gravities just for people to scan their bands to get in line, after that it was almost walk on. I only stayed for half the time because I was exhausted (had been up super early for EMM at TSL so I was already exhausted) but I still rode plenty of stuff. I still enjoy AM EMH though simply because you can just go ride to ride without the scanning of the bands constantly, it's much more efficient, but I'll always do the late (to 1-2am) EMH if they are offered.

In general the earlier an EMH starts or the later an EMH closes, the less crowd & more advantage you will experience.

So, if EMH starts at 6am, it will be less crowded than an EMH that starts at 8am. If an EMH ends at midnight, it will be far more crowded than one that ends at 2am.

In general, more people are willing to stay up late on vacation, than will get up early on vacation.

If staying off site or wanting to avoid EMH, always pick the morning following a late EMH to visit a specific park. It would take a rare bird that someone would be in a park til 2am & then be back at the same park the next morning, lining up for a RD.

We’re gonna give it a shot. We’ve got FPs for the headliners earlier in the day and this isn’t our only MK day so I think I’ll follow the “mid tier” logic. All these years and we’ve never done EMH so I want to try it. I’ll report back in a couple weeks whether or not it was a mistake!

The 'ride at close' logic still applies during EMH. If you can handle staying up even later, hop in line for that headliner just as EMH ends. Wait times are still exaggerated to deter you & no FP's during EMH.

Ok, I am not usually a DIS alarmist and think sometimes “crowd posts” are overblown (and we all have different definitions of crowded anyway), but I’m not going to lie, the late EMH on 7/3 I went to in 2017 was pretty darn stout. Hardly a hint of any EMH advantage.

Still awesome and a good time was had by all, but uncrowded it was not! :-)
Yes, we don’t have the thought of walking on rides during our time simply because it’s a holiday. I would like to try to hit the mid level rides. We have FP for PP, 7D, and BTM that evening. If anything, just avoiding the blazing sun is worth it :)

We’re gonna give it a shot. We’ve got FPs for the headliners earlier in the day and this isn’t our only MK day so I think I’ll follow the “mid tier” logic. All these years and we’ve never done EMH so I want to try it. I’ll report back in a couple weeks whether or not it was a mistake!

Just make sure to get a nap. We had a 12-2 EMH over Thanksgiving and we got tired at 115 and had to head back to the hotel :(. Crowds weren't bad though!

We did PM EMH at MK this past Wednesday night. As others have said, the lines really only die down towards the end. Wait time signage was a little wonky too. We avoided HM as it was posted 40 minutes, DD really wanted to wait so we did. We were on the ride in 8 minutes! The longest consistent line seemed to be the Tangled lantern photo op. We had hopes for cooler evening temps as it’s been blistering hot these past four days but after dark it seemed like any chance of a breeze was gone and a thick layer of humidity settled in. Bleh. It was also tough finding any place to eat or drink the later it got. Rumor has it Cosmic Rays was the place to be for that. We left before the very end hoping to avoid the mass of humanity that is the POP bus line (more often than not.) Failed :crazy2: and had our usual looooong wait at the end of a very loooooong day!

The 'ride at close' logic still applies during EMH. If you can handle staying up even later, hop in line for that headliner just as EMH ends. Wait times are still exaggerated to deter you & no FP's during EMH.

I would suggest getting in line 15-20 minutes before EMH ends if it's a ride you really have your heart set on. When we did 7DMT during EMH, we got in line at 1:25 and were off the ride by 1:45. We were going to get in line and go on it again but they had already closed the line. We noticed the same thing this past June...the line was already closed when we walked by 10 minutes before EMH ended (we weren't planning on riding it anyway). I don't know if that happens all the time or only when we're there. :D And I don't know if it happens at other headliners or not (I know it did not happen at Buzz Lightyear because we actually got on that for one last ride right at the last minute...not that I consider that a headliner.). Just thought I'd mention it in case someone is planning to ride 7DMT at the end of the night.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter