What's everyone cooking for Thanksgiving?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
For me this year I will be doing things very differently.. 2 meals

I am making a small Thanksgiving meal for DH and I, and my DD and SiL and Sweet Grandson...
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Veggie Pot pie
Green beans or Pole beans
Stuffing Muffins
Gravy... Cranberry sauce.
On the fence about, either beef roast with carrots, and onions or roasting turkey parts with carrots, potatoes.. that's up in the air...right now
Rolls,
Dessert

I am going to be putting together a meal for my parents...Which I will have to take over the day before...Which is the making of several meals.. They like to pick and choose, and it will be enough for 4 or 5 days for them to munch on.
I am leaning towards those small ready made turkey breast, and hams...that you find over in the case with sausage, and lunch meats.. ( this is their request) They like these as they can use it for lots of meals, and different dishes..
Some type of pea's - depending on what I can get in the next week or so.
Rice
Roasted Veggies... with potatoes - my mom can't have the dairy in mashed potatoes so they requested this...
Cranberry sauce - jellied
Dessert
Rolls

What's on your menu?

Last edited:

Enchiladas, spanish rice,and refried beans for lunch. I also make con queso dip, salsa, meatballs, bbq lil smokies, a charcuterie board, cookies. We watch football all day so after lunch everyone just snacks and drinks. It's more like a party at our house! Usually on the Sunday after or the Saturday before Thanksgiving, we will have the traditional dinner at my brother's house. This year we are doing our traditional dinner on the Saturday after since the OSU v. M game isn't going to be played till Dec. (it's usually the Saturday after Thanksgiving) and we normally tailgate that day.

No set plans but I’d like to have “the usual”

Turkey
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Stuffing
Green beans
Sweet potato casserole
Sauerkraut
Rolls

Deviled eggs
Fruit and veggie trays
Country ham sandwiches

Pumpkin pie
Chocolate pie
Red velvet cake
Peanut butter cookies

Edit: cranberry sauce

Last edited:

Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, brussell sprouts, homemade meat and cheese raviolis and Sunday Sauce... and marinara for my vegetarian DD.

It's just the 4 of us and we will take food to leave on my MIL's porch. Cases are up in our area, so we are back to March/April precautions with the deliveries of food to MIL.

So right now out of all my in-laws, only 4 of them are working and three work in the same place, so we've still been basically staying home and just hanging out with each other since, well... we're mostly together anyway.

So the usual! Turkey (blech), stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, homemade rolls, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon, candied carrots, roasted spicy sweet potatoes, corn. Basically something to make everyone happy.

Pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin crunch, peanut butter pie, chocolate cake.

We are thinking about making chili and I will bake a pie or 2. It's just the 3 of us in my household this year and we have no desire to have days of leftovers.
Will it be turkey chili?
You can cook small quantities of the traditional stuff /avoid massive leftovers.
I haven't seen one sale on turkeys yet this year....
I hadn't noticed the lack, but -- no -- I haven't seen turkeys on sale yet either. And it's about time.

Cooking for a small group, just our core family that is living on same property at moment :guilty:
We are later Thanksgiving dinner eaters, traditional shooting party in AM- so our meal will be taking place around 4:30 or so. We are heavy nibblers though, so around 11 I'll be putting out:
crudité
BLT, spinach or maybe crab dip
various smoked meats, cheese & crackers
beer

Turkey & ham
homemade stuffing
roasted baby and mashed (fake)* potatoes
gravy
corn
green bean casserole
green bean almandine
some sort of sweet potato concoction
cranberry sauce
extra turkey wings
yeast rolls
mac & cheese
cheesecake
apple crisp
pumpkin roll
pumpkin pie
brownies
copious amounts of champagne for moi

yup, way to much food for 5 people, of which only 2 live in the main home...I'm going to try to make smaller amounts of all the dishes. It'll be hard, I truly love Thanksgiving and cooking the meal. I way over cook & way over plan. Luckily everyone here is happy to eat leftovers!

Husband this year wants to fry the turkey, and since it'll be a smaller one I think it will lend itself to being fried better. It's been a few years so I hope he knows where his turkey fryer is.

*the two mashed potato eaters LOVE instant mashed potatoes and far prefer it over real...I don't eat them, so I've no dog in the fight, although I would think if ever a meal called for real mashed potatoes it would be Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

For me this year I will be doing things very differently.. 2 meals

I am making a small Thanksgiving meal for DH and I, and my DD and SiL and Sweet Grandson...
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Veggie Pot pie
Green beans or Pole beans
Stuffing Muffins
Gravy... Cranberry sauce.
On the fence about, either beef roast with carrots, and onions or roasting turkey parts with carrots, potatoes.. that's up in the air...right now
Rolls,
Dessert

I am going to be putting together a meal for my parents...Which I will have to take over the day before...Which is the making of several meals.. They like to pick and choose, and it will be enough for 4 or 5 days for them to munch on.
I am leaning towards those small ready made turkey breast, and hams...that you find over in the case with sausage, and lunch meats.. ( this is their request) They like these as they can use it for lots of meals, and different dishes..
Some type of pea's - depending on what I can get in the next week or so.
Rice
Roasted Veggies... with potatoes - my mom can't have the dairy in mashed potatoes so they requested this...
Cranberry sauce - jellied
Dessert
Rolls

What on your menu?

I can't have dairy, either...but you can make killer mashed potatoes with rice milk, vegan butter, olive oil (use 1/2 vegan butter, 1/2 olive oil at your normal mashed potato amount), and salt...my family love them, and it's one food they really can't tell the difference in dairy/non-dairy...if you have no need for rice milk, send the rest of the container with your parents to thin out the potatoes if they becomes leftovers...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter