What's everyone cooking for Thanksgiving?

@TwoMisfits I am so sorry about the health woes you are dealing with. I hope that things are going pretty well for you and that you can really enjoy the holidays with your family.
:grouphug:

We cancelled our large gathering I normally host (ranged from 15 to 45 folks each year) and it will just be 4 of us. Still going traditional just less of it.
Turkey - only 1 and skipping the hams this year
Dressing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Sweet potato casserole
Green beans
Brussel Sprouts
Corn
Rolls
Cranberry sauce
Pies- I am cutting back to 2 pies, normally I bake around 10 with 5 varieties
I am skipping carrot cake this year

I can't have dairy, either...but you can make killer mashed potatoes with rice milk, vegan butter, olive oil (use 1/2 vegan butter, 1/2 olive oil at your normal mashed potato amount), and salt...my family love them, and it's one food they really can't tell the difference in dairy/non-dairy...if you have no need for rice milk, send the rest of the container with your parents to thin out the potatoes if they becomes leftovers...
I use chicken stock and earth's balance dairy and soy free butter substitute (red lid) plus the normal salt and pepper in my dairy free mashed potatoes. I made the mistake of using soy milk one time and it was like glue.

Going to have to pare it down, as we are only having my daughter and her boyfriend over. We'll do the traditional--Turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, roles, cranberry sauce, etc. Not set on dessert for sure, but probably a pie of some kind, and maybe a pumpkin roll.

Small Turkey Breast, small baked honey ham, small sides of cornbread stuffing, baked Mac n cheese, sweet potato casserole, likely baked garlic broccoli( the only thing I’m making.. the rest is ordered 👍.
dessert , whatever they want to eat.. I’m not baking lol

I got the free turkey meal from Ibotta this week. But it’s just the three of us, and I can cook that stuff anytime.

I’m thinking about doing chickpea salad, lamb meatballs (if I can find lamb if not chicken shawarma), flat bread, and hummus.

This year we are staying home. There’s three of us. I plan on making
a small turkey ( 10-11 lbs was The smallest I could find ) .87 per lbs
small spiral ham
lots of mash potatoes and gravy (DD22 requested it lol)
corn
salad
rolls
pumpkin pie (store bought)
pineapple upside down cake

we usually go to my mil house and eat around 4:30-5:30 depending when everyone shows up. This year I might make our early around noon so we can eat lunch and dinner. I’m hoping to have leftovers like the school lunch turkey and gravy over mashed potatoes yum! I just shred the turkey and cook it in the gravy right!

The large gathering we usually attend is canceled, so it'll be just DH, me, DD, her partner, and his 4 year old. As a small group, we decided to focus on "other" Native foods that "might" have been at the first celebration. We are having duck, mashed potatoes (DD will have mashed cauliflower as she can't eat nightshades), gravy, green bean casserole, roasted veggies (probably Brussels sprouts, parsnips, and butternut squash). Dessert is mixed berry pie and marble cheesecake. Not quite sure how the green bean casserole and cheesecake fit into our "theme," but, whatever. It's a holiday, after all!

Of course, I have to have my favorite Thanksgiving leftover sandwiches (white bread, mayo, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce), so when turkey went down to 37 cents a pound this week I bought a 10 pound bird and stuffed/roasted it today. I'll be eating turkey sandwiches all week! DD's boyfriend will take some of the turkey off my hands, I'm sure, so I won't grow to hate my favorite lunch!

I bought 2 Hungry Man Frozen Turkey dinners to cook. Until today when I wandered into HoneyBaked Ham .
So now I have Ham Turkey And their frozen pumpkin pie to cook.
Plus myscalloped corn and scalloped potato recipes!
Got to go buy extra creamy whipping cream at grocery before they sell out.
And BaskinRobbins had egg nog ice cream still in stock. Usually I am too late cause it sells out fast!

I'm the cook in the family. I usually host the big Thanksgiving Lunch and we watch the Dallas Cowboy game, snack and play games the rest of the day. However, I cancelled lunch because we had a Covid scare that we might of been exposed. However, found out after we canceled the lunch and after I grocery shopped that we were not exposed. So I'm just cooking for the DH and I and whoever shows up at the front door. I just texted my sisters that I'm cooking and if they want to come by and get a plate we'll be home. So we will see. It's going to be really hard making 1/4 of what I usually make but I'm going to try and cook like a regular meal size for just the two of us - 4 dinner portions and 2 lunch portions. It sounds much easier typed than done.

Menu

Spiral ham
(My DH purchased a huge ham. WHY!?!?!? I'm sure I'll freeze 2/3 of it. Leave some meat on the bone and make split pea soup. And the crazy thing is he doesn't care for leftovers. We'll eat on this Thanksgiving day, Friday and maybe Saturday. By Sunday he is going to be finished with it and all the trimmings. LOL! I grew up poor so we ate everything until it was gone. I even remember my mom making turkey salad for sandwiches. We didn't waste anything. LOL!)
Sliced smoked turkey breast from our local BBQ joint (We decided on this after Greenberg Smoked Turkey facility caught on fire. We were so sad. And now I think I might do this every year. LOL! Easy Peasy!)
Greens (my dad has a fall garden and picked me a mess of greens. I sure hope they are good or I'm going to be upset.)
Cornbread dressing
Sweet potatoes
(dad purchased a box of sweet potatoes from somewhere and gave me a few. He kept saying these are the good yams. You haven't had anything like these before. OK dad. I just hope they're good enough for my sweet potato pies. LOL!!
Mac n cheese (I usually do a 7 cheese M&C but since it's just the two of us I'm doing a 2 cheese M&C)
Cranberry sauce (Someone up thread mentioned putting fruit in hers, I put orange juice, peel and cinnamon sticks in mine as it's simmering down. We were a jelly can family to the core until 3 years ago when I made homemade cranberry sauce. Now we are hooked. If anyone mentions the jelly cranberry sauce it's a fight. LOL!!)
Gravy
Brownies
Sweet potato pies

I'm the cook in the family. I usually host the big Thanksgiving Lunch and we watch the Dallas Cowboy game, snack and play games the rest of the day. However, I cancelled lunch because we had a Covid scare that we might of been exposed. However, found out after we canceled the lunch and after I grocery shopped that we were not exposed. So I'm just cooking for the DH and I and whoever shows up at the front door. I just texted my sisters that I'm cooking and if they want to come by and get a plate we'll be home. So we will see. It's going to be really hard making 1/4 of what I usually make but I'm going to try and cook like a regular meal size for just the two of us - 4 dinner portions and 2 lunch portions. It sounds much easier typed than done.

Menu
Spiral ham
(My DH purchased a huge ham. WHY!?!?!? I'm sure I'll freeze 2/3 of it. Leave some meat on the bone and make split pea soup. And the crazy thing is he doesn't care for leftovers. We'll eat on this Thanksgiving day, Friday and maybe Saturday. By Sunday he is going to be finished with it and all the trimmings. LOL! I grew up poor so we ate everything until it was gone. I even remember my mom making turkey salad for sandwiches. We didn't waste anything. LOL!)
Sliced smoked turkey breast from our local BBQ joint (We decided on this after Greenberg Smoked Turkey facility caught on fire. We were so sad. And now I think I might do this every year. LOL! Easy Peasy!)
Greens (my dad has a fall garden and picked me a mess of greens. I sure hope they are good or I'm going to be upset.)
Cornbread dressing
Sweet potatoes
(dad purchased a box of sweet potatoes from somewhere and gave me a few. He kept saying these are the good yams. You haven't had anything like these before. OK dad. I just hope they're good enough for my sweet potato pies. LOL!!
Mac n cheese (I usually do a 7 cheese M&C but since it's just the two of us I'm doing a 2 cheese M&C)
Cranberry sauce (Someone up thread mentioned putting fruit in hers, I put orange juice, peel and cinnamon sticks in mine as it's simmering down. We were a jelly can family to the core until 3 years ago when I made homemade cranberry sauce. Now we are hooked. If anyone mentions the jelly cranberry sauce it's a fight. LOL!!)
Gravy
Brownies
Sweet potato pies

would you be willing to share the recipe for your 7 cheese mac and cheese? I'm always looking for a good mac and cheese recipe

Cooking? What's that? I'm not even allowed in my kitchen. I'll be online shopping all day while master chef DH works his magic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter