What's flying first class like?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I've never flown first class before, but on my next solo trip to WDW I will-for free! DH had a lot of FF Miles on American. When I called for ressies, they didn't have regular, just the awards in first class. More miles, but American recently left our closest airport, so DH said "Go for it!" Now I'm so excited! What can anyone tell this small town girl who's never flown first class before?

We loved it! We missed our flight or rather it left early when we left WDW in 99 and they put us there, the seats are soooooooo comfy and a free movie and they offer you something to drink right away, and if you like alcohol it's free! The food was alot better, hot food not a sandwich and we had sundaes for desert(mmmmmm) . Of course we flew Continental so I'm not sure what American has, but it was probably the first and last time we will ever get to fly 1st class.

We were bumped a few years ago and they put on the next flight home in 1st class. We got to board first, we were given drinks and snacks while we waited for everyone else to board. We got free headphones for the movie and ate on china plates. Halfway home my DS who was about 11 at the time turned around and asked why we don't get these seats all the time because they were much better!!!!

You will love it. I don't think I would ever pay the price for 1st class but we sure enjoyed it while we were there.

Flying first class is usually a much nicer experience than riding in the back. My father used to be an airline pilot so we got upgraded to first rather often. The flight attendants have a manifest and they typically address you by name, serve you a drink before the flight leaves the gate. You eat on china, with silverware. Well they don't use metal knives anymore for reasons we all know, but the rest of the setting is silverware. You typically get a choice of a hot meal and the quality and quantity is better than in coach. Also, as others mentioned, the seats are wider and are also separated further so you can actually cross your legs. Many of the newer widebody aircraft have seats that almost make into beds by reclining and having footrests. Many times where there is no food service in coach they still give you something in First Class. You are also first to be boarded on the plane, first to leave the plane and your luggage, if you are checking any is also given priority as first off. It really is a wonderful way to fly. However as others have posted, it tends to cost so much more than coach (when you have to pay full fare for it) that even with all it's benefits, it just isn't worth it for short duration flights. It is something that is VERY easy to get used to though... Enjoy! ;)

My most recent first class experience was on my New Year's trip to WDW. My flights were +/- two and a half hours. The biggest perk was the wide leather seat (I love B757 first class seats!). Upon boarding, the flight attendent took our coats, and took a drink order. We were able to enjoy the drinks while the coach passengers boarded. Before departure, they took a drink order for when we got up in the air, and they were quickly delivered once we were up in the air. The flight attendant then brought around a basket of snacks, which included cashews, Milano cookies, dried fruit, Cape Cod Potato Chips, the coach "snack mix", fruit & grain bars, pretzels, and a few other things I can't remember right now. Service was pretty good throughout the flight. One thing I didn't care for was how people would come up front from coach and stand in the aisle waiting for the bathrooms (there were 3 or 4 in the back, I hope the reason they crowded the F/C cabin to use the bathroom was that the drink cart was in the aisle), but it made it kinda crowded up there (plus, I felt like I was on display). They no longer close the first/coach curtain, I guess it is a safety thing, post-911.

Cali-D

Simba's Mom,

Sit back and enjoy the trip:D ,it is very relaxing,comfortable,spaciuos,etc!!! We save our frequent flyer miles for 1st class trips of 3-5 hrs(in the air) or more. Thats when you really appreciate 1st class!!!!! You have more room to stretch out and be comfortable. We are using our next FF miles for Hawaii next year.:D

I'm thrilled to hear these replies. I'm heading cross country from Pittsburg to San Francisco on thursday and I cashed in miles so we could fly first class. I've never flown first class so I'm really looking forward to it. It is on USAirways, hope they haven't cut back on service :(.

Just in case you have a short flight. You do get the drink service, but no meal! Also, on the smaller planes you probably won't get the movie. It is still nice though.

American Airlines' first class meal service is typically offered only on flights of over two hours. For flights of less less than two hours, you just get munchies and drinks.

Bigger seats, more legroom, decent wine, more attentive service.

The only thing about first class that I don't like is the bathrrom is still tiny as ever!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter