What's the big deal with the 50th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love to all the "Disney freaks" everywhere!! GO DISNEY!!!! ::MickeyMo

I personally would LOVE to be there on Disneyland's big '5-0', but unforunately just couldn't manage it. :sad2:

We will, however, be lucky enough to go in September and are so excited that celebration will still be happening to some scale.

To those of you lucky enough to be able to go on July 17th- have a blast and have a piece of cake for me.

Well, I'm sorry to those of you I insulted. I guess my post came out wrong. I was just trying to explain that I myself am a huge Disney lover, but I hate crowds, so I didn't understand why anyone would want to go on this particular day. Everyone has a different idea of what is fun, and some people love the crowds, I just personally don't. I love Disney, and didn't mean for it to be disrespectful to Disneyland in anyway what-so-ever. Just questioning being involved in the mad house. It is a very special day for Disneyland indeed, I just would not choose to be there on that day. Next time I will have to make sure I get my point across before posting.

With that being said, I would like to say that I have been a member of this board for years, and I have never been personally attacked like this. I am very shocked and disappointed in some of the responses I received.

Reading both of the threads that you started, this one and the one about the hotels being booked, I completly agree with everyones responses. It came off very rude and sounded like an attack on everyone that is planning on going to the actual birthday. I will be leaving for Dl on Monday, and although i will be missing the actual birthday I am still prepared for the large amount of crowds due to the 18 month celebration. My question to you is and this is by no means an attack, if you have been on these boards for years how did you not come to find out about the 50th birthday til just now, as well aas when you went to WDW on its birthday? :confused3

I was aware of the 50th Birthday celebration, as I was at DW on May 5 for that week! I was not aware however of the actual Birthday DAY, July 17th. We go to California every Summer, and going to DL is just 2 days out of our 2 week trip, so we didn't really plan our Disney stay much. We just travel around California and this is the 2 days that fit into our schedule best. We go to DL every Summer, and we always make our on property hotel reservations last minute, like a few days before. We will still be going at this time, unfortunately it will just be more crowded than we would like. We will still have a great time and we are excited, we just probably won't be able to do as much as we like.

kellymouse said:
I was aware of the 50th Birthday celebration, as I was at DW on May 5 for that week! I was not aware however of the actual Birthday DAY, July 17th.

Okay, I'm probably beating a dead horse here....I think the reason other posters brought up the fact that you didn't know about the celebration on 5/5 was because in your original post you said you were at WDW by accident that day and that it was a huge pain. That statement gives that impression that you didn't know there was going to be a huge party on the 5/5. Since your OP also states that you are a bigger Disney fan than most, I would just think (I really don't mean this to sound rude or anything) that giving yourself that title would mean that you SHOULD know about the celebrations on 5/5 & 7/17. I'm sorry, but ANY Disney 'fanatic' knows about these dates. Maybe not about all of the events planned, but at least that there is SOMETHING expected to happen. :confused3

Yes, I think it's time to move on! (meant in the nicest way people!)

Ok, I said I was a Disney freak in the beginning of my original post to try and explain to everyone NOT to take it personally, that I LOVE DL just as much as they do, but I questioned going when it was a madhouse and wondered what "special" events were planned.

When I say it was a pain at DW during the May 5 celebration, that was because of all of the crowds and media. What I didn't say is we also saw lots of celebrities and we had a blast. My DH doesn't like crowds, nor do I, and this is our only chance to go to DL, so we were hoping that the crowds wouldn't be bad going mid week, and yes, I do know that schools are out and it's Summer. But I wouldn't dare go on the weekend in the Summer. Being at DL 100's of times and growing up in LA, I am familiar with the crowd levels at DL.

I guess I am not a Disney freak in the way that I know dates and history, etc. I am just a Disney freak in my heart and in the way that DW and DL are my 2 most favorite places in the world, and there is no place else I would rather vacation. I got married at DW, Disneymooned there, and I go to both once a year at least. I guess that does not qualify me as a "Disney Fanatic." I really only get on these boards a lot right before I am about to go to one of the parks.

One of the reasons I post here is because I love having the opportunity to get my "Disney fix" when I don't have a Disney trip in sight and I am feeling lonely for the mouse. It is great being around those who love Disney just as much as I do! Most of my friends and family don't get it, so it is a huge treat coming here where I know that all of you "get it"!!

With all of our families trips to WDW, Disneyland and the Disney Cruise, we soon found out what works for us, and now wouldn't dare attempt going during peak season. It is pure heaven being in the parks when they are near empty, and even though you deal with closures and early closing times, it is worth it!!

HOWEVER, to get to the whole point of this post, I will be there with the rest of the crazy people on the 17th!! Fortunately for me, I found 2 friends to go with me since my husband and kids consider attempting to fight crowds that large just plain INSANE! I am going for a few reasons. One is because I am in love with Disney, and can't imagine NOT being there for the celebration. Two, rare pins and goodies only available on the 17th. Three, I can't imagine sitting at home wondering what in the world I am missing by not going!

I think most everyone attending is going with the realization that we are going for the event and all that it entails........nothing more, nothing less. Not a lot of rides, but a whole lotta nostalgia. Not a lot of breathing room, but a whole lotta magic. And not a lot of what we expect from a regular Disney Day, but a rare treat to go back in time and celebrate something we can't imagine living without.........Disneyland!!!!!!!!!!!! The second thing I am going to do once I get to heaven is find Walt and give him a big smooch on the cheek! He has brought so much magic to my life....thank heavens he was such a big dreamer!!

ps....I think I am the biggest Disney freak! :crazy:

If I could go it would be about being part of Disney history. I feel sorry for first time visitors who have no idea what they are about to embark upon! But again, some of us look at Disney parks, especially Disneyland as an example of a true American success story, almost like a National Park or historical site. To me, Walt Disney was the epitome of the American, rags to riches success story. So many of the things we all enjoy today in entertainment, be it movies, cartoons or theme parks started with his visions and dreams. I was a history major in college so I always get into the story behind pretty much any thing I visit anywhere. My inlaws live in DC and think I am really stretching it to say visiting Disneyland is like visiting the Smithsonian! I am one of those people who gets choked up when I see the light on in the Firehouse on Main Street. I have to go see One Man's Dream every trip. So to me it would be almost like making a pilgrimage to be there on July 17. That probably sounds corny but its the way I feel. Just like the way I love Star Wars but had no desire to stand in line all afternoon so I could see the midnight showing the day it was released. My cousin in Dallas however did just that. To him that was the only natural way to see it, I felt like I was doing just fine seeing it a week later.

I would be overcome and mushy thinking about being at DL on THE DAY! I am sorry you felt like you were being picked on. Part of this may stem from us Disneyland lovers just constantly feeling like we have to justify ourselves to the WDW lovers. Personally I love them both for totally different reasons but do feel more of a tug at my heart when I am at Disneyland. I hope you have a great trip in spite of the crowds!

kellymouse said:
Ok, I am probably a bigger Disney freak than most of you, but I just don't understand why you guys are so excited about being there for the 50th? Are they doing anything special for it? I am going to be on vacation in California during this time, so I will be there July 12-14, but I would never go just for the 50th. It's going to be soooo much more crowded than usual.
We were at Disney World on May 5 by accident too, and that was a huge pain, so I am very upset that I just happen to be at DL during the actual Birthday.
Please help me understand what all of the fuss is about.
Thanks!
:earsgirl:
If Ya Gotta Ask.. then maybe you aren't a the biggest Disney Freak that you think you are. ::MickeyMo

stitchthealmighty said:
If Ya Gotta Ask.. then maybe you aren't a the biggest Disney Freak that you think you are. ::MickeyMo

You are right. I thought I was a Disney freak, but you have proved me wrong. Oh well.

No one can definitively state what qualifies someone as a disney fan, so it makes no sense for us to question one another. So lets settle on our differences. If we all loved Disney the same, parts of it would go unloved!

OK everyone! Think of a wonderful thought - any happy little thought! Now....lets all move on to something else!! ;) :D

See you in the other threads...

Thanks 2nd star, but that was sarcasm. :earsgirl:

I know I am a huge Disney fan, and I don't need to defend myself anymore.

I think that this thread has pretty much run its course, so I am going to close it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter