What's the biggest RIP OFF you've ever experienced?

'bus pass fee' at the colleges around here. YES it's a great deal at around $25 per quarter for unlimited public transportation BUT it can't be used by or waived for students who require para transit. i get that para transit costs more to use but since the criteria to qualify for it's use is the bus authority making the determination that a rider can't safely use non para transit bus services then it seems like there should be some kind of waiver the college can do wherein a student presents their para transit id card at each quarter's registration and gets that fee excluded.

Tons of things don't seem worth the price after the fact, but one MAJOR one that comes to mind is the $70.00 CAD (49.99 Euro) cheeseburger DH had at Walt's - An American Restaurant in DLP. We headed there straight off the red-eye from Calgary. We were dizzy from jet-lag and completely disoriented to how much things cost when converted from Euros; it didn't seem so completely insane in the moment. :crazy: I cringe now thinking about it. This isn't my picture but the plate did look exactly like this - yes, that's 9 fries, NINE FRIES...
hommage-a-walt-disney.jpg
Hey, french fry stackers don't work for nothing!

ETA: Need to read the whole thread next time. Some beat me to it!

'bus pass fee' at the colleges around here. YES it's a great deal at around $25 per quarter for unlimited public transportation BUT it can't be used by or waived for students who require para transit. i get that para transit costs more to use but since the criteria to qualify for it's use is the bus authority making the determination that a rider can't safely use non para transit bus services then it seems like there should be some kind of waiver the college can do wherein a student presents their para transit id card at each quarter's registration and gets that fee excluded.

Sounds like it's more or less a general fee regardless of who uses it (or doesn't) - designed to fund a program. I know there are students (or their parents) who complain about athletic facility fees.

Tons of things don't seem worth the price after the fact, but one MAJOR one that comes to mind is the $70.00 CAD (49.99 Euro) cheeseburger DH had at Walt's - An American Restaurant in DLP. We headed there straight off the red-eye from Calgary. We were dizzy from jet-lag and completely disoriented to how much things cost when converted from Euros; it didn't seem so completely insane in the moment. :crazy: I cringe now thinking about it. This isn't my picture but the plate did look exactly like this - yes, that's 9 fries, NINE FRIES...
hommage-a-walt-disney.jpg

After reading your post all that keeps ringing in my brain is -- Nine Times? Nine Times. -- Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

NFL football games.

Here in South Florida, a Miami Dolphin game costs:
$100+ for a seat, even in the nose bleeder seats.
$40 for parking. In grass. I mean, really?
$8 beers
$6 hotdogs
If you go by yourself you are $160 deep. To watch a mediocre team (whom I love BTW, die hard life long fan).

Thee is no instant replay.
Most of the seats have terrible viewing.
Until recently, the stadium was wide open to the elements. Do you know what it is like sitting in a stadium at 1 PM in September in Miami?

Meanwhile at home I have a 70" TV, 2 tap kegerator, and I can make some killer tail gate food. And, when the team drives me nuts and I scream at the TV, I won't be arrested.

NFL football games.

$8 beers
$6 hotdogs
If you go by yourself you are $160 deep. To watch a mediocre team (whom I love BTW, die hard life long fan).

Until recently, the stadium was wide open to the elements. Do you know what it is like sitting in a stadium at 1 PM in September in Miami?

Meanwhile at home I have a 70" TV, 2 tap kegerator, and I can make some killer tail gate food. And, when the team drives me nuts and I scream at the TV, I won't be arrested.

Been to the stadium. It was pretty lousy for baseball though.

Don't they have free high bandwidth WiFi? I've been to a basketball game where I wasn't allowed to bring in my bag (had to check it in) but I could carry an iPad Mini in my hand.

Tonight I'm going to a concert with my wife. I checked the policies and they allow bags, coolers, and sealed non-alcoholic beverages in plastic bottles.

As for a stadium being open to the elements, Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara is having an issue with one side of the stadium being absolutely baked for day games. Some people have suggested perhaps installing some sort of roof or screen, but apparently it's within several miles of San Jose International Airport and FAA rules won't allow a structure tall enough. It's already taller than anything in the area, including some of the rides at Great America.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/4...e-levis-stadium-will-drop-price-bottled-water

First class on the Southern Trains in the UK. Not even in a separate compartment. Same seats. No buffet. No difference... save for a napkin on the back of the seat proudly proclaiming, "First Class". And for that we pay shedloads more.

Yeah they built a new park for the Marlins a few years ago so no more baseball in there

Don't they have free high bandwidth WiFi? I've been to a basketball game where I wasn't allowed to bring in my bag (had to check it in) but I could carry an iPad Mini in my hand.

They do buy it's spotty at best. Hard to stream anything.

Tonight I'm going to a concert with my wife. I checked the policies and they allow bags, coolers, and sealed non-alcoholic beverages in plastic bottles.

You can't even bring in a purse anymore. My wife has to bring a clear bag when we go. That's an NFL policy though.

As for a stadium being open to the elements, Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara is having an issue with one side of the stadium being absolutely baked for day games.

Miami at 1 PM in September with no cover is brutal. The finally put in a cover over the seats that does help a lot, but it's still hot as hades in there.

You can't even bring in a purse anymore. My wife has to bring a clear bag when we go. That's an NFL policy though.

Haven't been to an NFL game in over a decade. Back then I could bring a cooler and sealed plastic bottles. When I bought beer I'd keep it cold in the cooler. Not sure what the policy is now. I do remember post 9/11 there was heightened awareness, so I'd typically use a mesh bag to haul my stuff, although I would still bring a cooler and have it searched.

Here are the basic policies for the venue.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/venue/229585?dma_id=382
BAG POLICY
Paper and plastic grocery bags, purses, fanny packs, backpacks, lunch bags, diaper bags (backpack-style), soft-sided containers, handbags and briefcases are allowed into the ballpark as long as they do not exceed 16" x 16" x 8" in size. All bags will be thoroughly inspected before they are permitted into the ballpark.​

It's Ed Sheeran in San Francisco. I'm sure I'm going to feel old, but I figure my money is as good as anyone else's.

$4k emergency room bill for misdiagnosis and release, followed by college. I don't regret the degree, just how I got it and the cost. Mistakes were made. Student Loans.

Pretty sour on all the little academic upcharges too. I've had expensive hair appointments for lackluster or displeasing results in my time as well.

College textbooks. $100+ for a new textbook, then every year they change 5 words, make it a "new edition" so you can't just buy used ones from the previous year.

College textbooks. $100+ for a new textbook, then every year they change 5 words, make it a "new edition" so you can't just buy used ones from the previous year.

I remember taking classes from some professors who wrote textbooks. Many said don't blame them - that they barely made any money off of them. It was the publisher making money.

I remember taking classes from some professors who wrote textbooks. Many said don't blame them - that they barely made any money off of them. It was the publisher making money.

Oh I agree it's the publishers who are the culprits

As for a stadium being open to the elements, Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara is having an issue with one side of the stadium being absolutely baked for day games. Some people have suggested perhaps installing some sort of roof or screen, but apparently it's within several miles of San Jose International Airport and FAA rules won't allow a structure tall enough. It's already taller than anything in the area, including some of the rides at Great America.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/4...e-levis-stadium-will-drop-price-bottled-water

I've been trying to go to a Niner game for some time now. With the past few seasons of us being under .500 I was hoping that prices would go down to reasonable prices (good seats), but nope still asking prices like we were going to back to back playoffs or something. Plus I was so excited when the new Stadium opened, I figured that it was my chance at being a season ticket holder. Talking to my boss about season tickets, I found out that you need to pay a seat license fee or something like that to the tune of $10k + the tickets, I said forget that.

College tuition. This semester they only have school 3 days a week but the tuition is just as high as all the rest of the semesters

Doug’s Fish Fry in Cortland New York. We paid $75 for our family for French fries, cheap bread and a mediocre piece of fish. On top of that it was extremely hot in the restaurant and there was no AC

With the Advent of internet used book sellers like Chegg and Amazon, you can find books much cheaper. Or you can rent new books from them. Which would be a great solution EXCEPT...

(Darned) internet codes!!!! Publishers have this new way of getting their $$$ out of college students- charging for a code that gets you a digital copy of the book, and homework assignments that can't be done or turned in for credit without the code. And it can't be reused by anyone else,

NFL football games.

$8 beers
$6 hotdogs

If you want to see some really good football in South Florida, skip the NFL and catch a University of Miami game! The Hurricanes are ranked #8 going into the season.

My college had this saying printed on the free bookmarks included with each purchase. "Remember: Books are one of the least expensive tools you can buy."

I didn't mind paying $25 for the Intro to Accounting text back in 1979, but some of those required humanities courses, yikes, $10 for some thin paperback about 16th Century British history.

With the Advent of internet used book sellers like Chegg and Amazon, you can find books much cheaper. Or you can rent new books from them. Which would be a great solution EXCEPT...

(Darned) internet codes!!!! Publishers have this new way of getting their $$$ out of college students- charging for a code that gets you a digital copy of the book, and homework assignments that can't be done or turned in for credit without the code. And it can't be reused by anyone else,
I used a mixture of Chegg (rented from them), the stores that sold textbooks in my college town for the college and a used book store call Half-Price Books. It still cost a small fortune each semester (around $700 or so). Selling back the books (of the ones I bought) never gave back much money unless it was a highly used one like for lower level classes that were basic ones.

I ran into the 'professor wrote the book' issue a few times. Probably the most painful was the professor for Cognitive Psychology whose publisher finished his updated edition the semester I took his particular class. The bad part was he left at the end of the semester for a sabbatical for several years to go work on robots in Sweden or Norway can't remember. Paid over $130 for his book and even through all the channels available to me back then I could only get a few dollars back out of it since he wrote the book but wouldn't be able to be used again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter