What's the deal about luggage on planes?

westjones

DIS Veteran
We haven't flown since 9/11, but will be doing so this September to WDW and DCL. My husband says that there are new rules with luggage and we can only have 1 bag each and the bag must be within certain measurements.

Is that true? Only one bag each? It won't be a problem this year because we are going 4 nights to WDW first and then on a 3 night cruise on the Wonder. We are staying in a 1 bedroom at OKW, so we are planning to do laundry while at WDW, so we won't need to take as much.

BUT next year we are going on a 7 night, which means more dress clothes. I am not sure that I can get everything in one bag. We can do laundry onboard, but I don't want to have to do that to much.

So is it true? Only one bag on planes per person?

Thanks,
DJ

Airlines have changed so it would be wise to check with the airline you are flying on. I know that Delta allows 2 checked pieces of luggage plus 1 carry-on per ticketed passenger. Also you are not to use luggage locks as all checked (and carry-on) baggage is subject to inspection. Locks will be cut off and you run the risk of having your luggage ruined. If you feel more comfortable you can use cable ties which you can purchase at your Home Depot, etc. Just be sure to pack extras for your trip home. The following is from the Delta website: "In addition to the one carry-on item, you can still bring one personal item such as:

-a male or female purse
-a briefcase
-a laptop/computer*
-a camera case
-a diaper bag
-an item of a similar size or smaller size to those listed above
*All laptop/computers must be carried aboard and cannot be checked.

Additional items
The following may be brought in addition to what is listed above and does not count towards your allowance:
-food item for immediate consumption
-assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches, provided passenger is dependent on them
-one box or bag of duty free
-coat jacket
-umbrella
-one item of reading material

Baggage Weight and Size Limitations
All checked baggage is subject to the following restrictions:

Weight

Items on domestic flights should not weigh more than 50 lbs.
Items on domestic flights weighing between 51 and 100 lbs will be charged an excess baggage fee.
Items on international flights should not weigh more than 70 lbs.
Items on international flights weighing between 70 and 100 lbs will be charged an excess baggage fee.
Items over 100 lbs will not be accepted

Size
Items over size limits will be charged an excess baggage fee.
Items cannot exceed 62" (length + height + width) limits.
Items over 80" will not be accepted.

All carry-on items must fit easily in a Size Wise™ unit (approximate dimensions 22" x 14" x 9") and must weigh less than 40 lbs.

Some packages, sporting goods, dangerous, fragile or bulky items may require special handling."

HTH

I use to carry more than one bag onboard before 9/11. I haven't flown since 9/10 and will be flying with DD for the first time the end of this month. Should be interesting. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter