what's the purpose of a bath mat? errrmm BATHRUG

We have a seperate tub and shower in our master bath and my DH tried to tell me once that it was dangerous for him to dry off in the shower because he might slip and hit his head as he was drying off. :rotfl:

I just hate walking through the bathroom in my socks and stepping in a water from where he didn't get completely dry and went on to brush his teeth at the sink. :mad:

In my house the kids just get out and dry off while standing on the bath mat outside of the tub. It doesnt get very wet at all. But my mom freaks out if they do that at her house and makes them put a towel down. We are all for respecting her wishes but when my DD9 forgets, she says "I broke the bathroom rules!!"
So this is a funny topic with my mom and us!

Either way is correct. The reality is that reaching over to get a towel, while you're wet, standing in a porcelain tub is very dangerous, so it is much safer to step out, then reach for the towel. However, I try to keep my bath rug dry, so I tend not to do the smart thing, but do as the OP suggests.

Have you thought about a more absorbent bath rug? We have twisted-fiber rugs and bamboo rugs - they both can take a lot of water without getting squishy. Or a foam mat like this http://www.harrietcarter.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/6B8AA5D9-3500-42BB-9279-1EA287D4AD3D/productID/DB65F389-37C5-49CB-BFCB-02CD64277849 could work for you.

We have several different bath rugs. I change them everytime I change the towels (in other words, constantly) and wash them right along with the towels - you just want to make sure that you don't use fabric softener with the rugs - it coats them with something that makes the fiber less absorbent.

Having said all that - I generally dry inside the shower - we have the glass door kind and it keeps the steam in, making it much warmer! But DH steps out, and I prefer he does. Leg hair comes off when he dries and it's a lot easier to throw a hairy towel in the washer than it is to clean it out of the shower!

Oh, I have one that is even better!!

My DH used to step out of the shower, grab the towel, then go INTO THE BEDROOM and dry off in front of the TV! Yep, there was always damp carpet in my bedroom in front of the TV. I had to break him of that when we moved to the new house! Now he steps out of the shower, off of the bathmat, and stands in the middle of the bathroom (where there is no mat/rug) and dries off. There is always water on my bathroom floor right after he takes a shower!

My DS steps out of the shower and stands on the bathrug to dry off. I've always dried off in the shower and only step on the bathrug with the bottoms of my feet still wet. Because I hated throwing the bathrug in the washer, when I spied those thicker floor towels (like the "bathrugs" at Disney) on sale, I grabbed a few. Makes things much easier.

Oh, and I always take my shower before DS takes his. ;) :thumbsup2

Oh and what moron thought it was a good idea to put carpet in bathrooms. :sad2:

that always baffles me, too, not to mention grosses me out completely. ewwww. thankfully haven't had it in any of the homes I've owned/lived in, but it would be the first thing to go if we ever fell in love with a house with it.

Oh and what moron thought it was a good idea to put carpet in bathrooms. :sad2:

My grandfather had carpet in his kitchen. It was a very low pile loopless carpet that was designed to look like a dark parque wood floor. Very 1970's. I am still baffled by it.

However, as I got older and helped my grandmother (step grandmother, as grandpa remarried when he was 73) in the kitchen, it was comfy to stand on. Still don't know how they managed to keep it clean...of course it was dark brown so you couldn't see spills or stains, but still.......I do remember them pulling out the vaccum.

His bathrooms had terrazzo tile and the standard 50's aqua (master bath) and pink (guest bath) tile. And he lived in FL. The house was built in 1957.

DH and I both turn off the shower, step on to the bath rug and then grab our towels to dry. The rug is never is sso full of water it squishes. How is your DH getting it so wet?

I was wondering this myself; I am a large person, and have long thick hair, but I've never shed THAT much water that I've soaked a bathmat after showering! :confused3

Our bathrug is not there to be a sponge (or breeding ground for mildew). We dry off in the shower. The rug is there to have something cozy to step onto when getting out of the shower. We have some relatives who visit and dry off while standing on the rug and it drives me crazy, but they only visit once a year for a few days so I let it slide.

I am guilty like your husband and my husband...well, he shares your philosophy.:lmao:

Just means the bathmat/bathrug gets washed more often. And hubby takes his showers first.

I was wondering this myself; I am a large person, and have long thick hair, but I've never shed THAT much water that I've soaked a bathmat after showering! :confused3

DH and I both turn off the shower, step on to the bath rug and then grab our towels to dry. The rug is never is sso full of water it squishes. How is your DH getting it so wet?:confused3

Honestly, I have no idea. However, this does not happen all of the time, but I have noticed it twice this week. I think he just takes his shower, turns off the water, and then gets out of the tub and stands on the bathmat while wicking water off of himself.

I dry off and then step out of the shower onto the bath rug. Thank goodness my husband does the same thing. If I stepped into s soaked bath rug I would not be happy!

I did it again around lunch time. Went in the bathroom to pee. Toilet is beside tub/shower with mat being in front of toilet and shower as well (our bathroom is tiny). Anyhoo, I walk over to the toilet, forgetting about the wet bathmat, when, ewwwww, my socked foot is now wet. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

:rotfl:
Ya'll are funny!
:rotfl:

My wife stays in the walk in shower with the door closed because she's cold when she's wet.

I step out onto the bath rug and dry there. That IS what it's for in our house; catching the water from wet bodies! :rotfl:

It's a combination of both your ways.

Both of us, prior to stepping out of the shower or the tub, will first wipe of one foot and leg up to the knee, step out onto the mat with that foot, then wipe down the second in the same manner.

Do we get them completely dry - no, but enough so that while we stand there finishing our drying we don't soak the bath mat.

I think the bathmat is to keep your feet warmer as you exit the shower, as tile is COLD. Also, it helps keep your tile dry. :confused3

This is funny, sounds like a perfect Seinfeld episode, lol. I really have issues myself with the bath rug, I end up putting a small towel down on top of it and then step on the towel. :rolleyes:

This is funny, sounds like a perfect Seinfeld episode, lol. I really have issues myself with the bath rug, I end up putting a small towel down on top of it and then step on the towel. :rolleyes:

This works for us! We've got it down to a science - dh showers first with dries outside of shower but has a towel over the mat. I remove wet towel before mine so I have a nice dry mat to step out on...

One of those little things you need to figure out early on....or it snowballs into a big thing...like wet feet when you need to just "use" the facilities.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter