what's the purpose of a bath mat? errrmm BATHRUG

I stand in the shower and "drip dry" for a few seconds. I then step onto the mat and reach and grab my towel (it is sort of far from the shower). I only dry off a little bit. While my skin is still damp, I apply moisturizer. I have very dry skin and this is the only thing that works. I suppose I could haul my moisturizer into the shower stall but, geez, it's too much trouble. I figured the mat was pretty good at absorbing the water.

I don't keep a rug in my bathroom. I'm talking about those things with the rubbery type bottom.

We keep a bath mat (same material as a towel, but made much better and much more durable) by the tub and it is meant to absorb the water. You pick it up and toss it into the laundry with the towels after showering.

No mildew, no mess.

I'm suprised so many people don't take a towel WITH them to the shower. I always grab it off the bar and toss it right over the door of the shower so it is immediately at hand if I get water in my eyes or something. I dry off enough so there is no longer water streaming off my body and then step out to finish drying.

In our house the bath matt is there to catch dampness and is used for longer than just one shower. If it were used to catch all the water then it would be functioning as a towel and I expect any towel that is on the floor to be put in the wash.

I'm suprised so many people don't take a towel WITH them to the shower. I always grab it off the bar and toss it right over the door of the shower so it is immediately at hand if I get water in my eyes or something. I dry off enough so there is no longer water streaming off my body and then step out to finish drying.

In our house the bath matt is there to catch dampness and is used for longer than just one shower. If it were used to catch all the water then it would be functioning as a towel and I expect any towel that is on the floor to be put in the wash.

Funny, even though I don't dry off in the shower, my mat is not really all that wet.

Oh this is one of my biggest pet peeves! I'm an in-shower dryer. I usually have a small towel on the floor outside the shower, so I have some place to step when I get out. Generally, the only thing still wet when I get out are the bottoms of my feet.

I went to Disney with a friend awhile back. I showered before her and did my usual routine, leaving the floor dry. She, on the other hand, did not. Just before we left for the parks, I went into the the bathroom (in my socks) for a final "bladder check." I stepped into a huge puddle of water on the floor. Not even a wet towel. I asked did, "did you shower with the curtain open?" She just responded that "its a tile floor. It will dry." Well, in this case, I had already sopped it up with my nice clean socks!!!

I dry off in the shower, and then step out.

Thats exactly how I do it:confused3. I couldnt imagine coming out of the shower dripping wet only to get the bathmat/rug soaking squishy wet...Maybe I am odd.. I towel off in the shower , put one towel on my hair, dry off as best as I could, and finish drying off on bathmat/rug and then wrap myself in towel.

Oh, I do. I only grumble about it for the few seconds after my foot feels the *squish*

Anyway, to me it just makes sense to stand in the tub/shower and dry off then step on the bathmat. I always hate hotel bathrooms, because they give you that cheezy towel mat, and water still gets all over the bathroom floor -- pet peeve (ahem Disney included).

I am fine with egtting a little water on the bathmat, but when it's soaked enough that your footprint is embedded into the mat, that's mildly irritating. I want my bathmat to be soft, fluffy, comforting. Not make me jump from the shock when I step on it.

I've only brought it up to my husband once, and vented here on the DIS.

easy solution...make sure you take your shower 1st ;) then there will be no squishy mat to contend with.

In my house, the purpose of a bath mat seems to be a place for the family cat to pee on (at least in her head, that's the purpose). We have no bath mats and have no mat by the kitchen sink. It's pointless. She immediately marks it as her own. So, we have to deal with the wet and slippery floors.

I like to dry my legs and feet first, then grab my hair towel and wrap it up then I will step out of the shower onto the rug to immediately leave the bathroom and finish dry off in the room. My husband just jumps of the shower, soaks the rug, and leaves his watery escapade all over the bathroom floor, then treks to the bedroom soaking up wherever his foot touches and then gets onto the bed to dry off:eek::headache::mad:. Then wonder why his socks are soaked when he is about to put his shoes on:confused3. When we were at any hotel, I have to shower first as I do not feel like playing slip n slide while on vacation in any bathroom that has tile:rotfl:. He on the other hand just don't get it. The floor after he finishes, looks like a wading pool and I am left having to clean it up.:boat: surf's up dude!pirate:

I step out wet, I only ring out my hair and then get out and grab my towel. So does everyone in my family. We have a bath rug just outside the tub that we cover with a bath floor towel (like the one Disney provides) which we place on top of the rug and then hang over the edge of the tub after we dry off.

I have a question. I put my towel over my bathroom rug also. How often do you wash your bathroom rug? It is just my husband and I. I shower several times a week and he showers once a week. Whether or not he puts down a towel I don't know.

Last edited:
I think the bathmat is to keep your feet warmer as you exit the shower, as tile is COLD.

Not if your tile bathroom floors have radiant heating!!

We have a tub mat, a rubber thing with suction cups that goes in the bottom of the tub or shower to keep us from slipping. Then we have a bath mat, which is like a heavy-duty towel. It goes on the floor outside the tub or shower. I don't care who dries off where, as long as that mat gets slung over the shower curtain rod to dry after showering! (AND the damp towels are hung up in the appropriate place, so they, too, dry... AND washcloths are hung on the rod in the shower/tub to dry. I HATE showering at my sister's- they all just drop their used washcloths into the bottom of the tub, big wet smelly lumps of towel for me to step on or around!)

I have a separate shower that doesn't get used often as a single girl. Even before my balance issues, I preferred baths, and I use the big giant Jacuzzi every day. I dry on the steps to the tub (old school, but awesome layout) and then get ready. Other than my tub and one of the 2 sinks/vanities you can't tell anyone is in there. I dust the shower before possible visitors. Now if you go in my closet, that's were every bit of my mess lives. I have a settee under the window you can barely see because of clothes, shoes, hats, and handbags.

At my house (according to one of our cats), the purpose of a bath mat (or rug) is to hold urine. So - I switched to teak mats. Solved my problem. You should give it a try for yours.

In my house the bath mats main purpose apparently is a place for a cat to sleep. The upstairs bathroom bathmat is for curling up in winter time apparently. The shower room near the kitchen is darker and a good place to sleep. My bathroom is more of a timeout resting area. When I cook, I'll typically place the cats in my room and shut the door. Other wise they want a place set for them at the table.

At my house (according to one of our cats), the purpose of a bath mat (or rug) is to hold urine. So - I switched to teak mats. Solved my problem. You should give it a try for yours.
We had that same problem and hadn't had a rug in the kitchen or bathroom in many years. Then a couple years ago I saw those quilted velour bat mats at the store and decided to give that a try. No nap to them at all, so it felt different to them. We haven't had any issues with those at all.

I step out of the shower onto the bathrug - reach over and grab a towel and then dry off. I do not stand inside the shower and dry off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!