What's the worst side effect you have experienced taking a prescribed medicine?

Went to the DR for a migraine (couldn't even open my eyes, it hurt so bad). I was nursing and DH was out of town so I told him I couldn't take anything that would knock me out, being my son's only caretaker. I'm not sure what he gave me but I took 1 and did not sleep for 3 days. Not only couldn't I sleep, I couldn't even sit still. I was doing laps around the living room at like 3am. Never took another one, threw the rest of the bottle out.

edited to add: Prednisone turns me into:furious:.

Prednisone is really rough. It made me eat non stop and I was super swollen. I hate it every time I have to take it. That, and the bitter taste the second it touches your tongue.

I don't remember which bcp it was but I was switched to a new one because my doc was on maternity leave and the PA filling in for her didn't like the one I was on (I have migraines and she kept telling me it would cause me to have a stroke). So she wouldn't refill my script and made me go on this new junk. I as fine with making a switch...nobody wants a stroke right? Well the drug turned me into a murderously raging loon. Tossed that stuff right quick!

Prednisone is really rough. It made me eat non stop and I was super swollen. I hate it every time I have to take it. That, and the bitter taste the second it touches your tongue.
Tablets or liquid? There's enteric coated prednisone. Some people have bought empty gelatin capsules to seal their meds, but that only helps for that short period in the mouth. Some people get the metallic taste side effect all day, even when injected.

I was taking something for a hiatal hernia that turned me into a witch with a capital B! I didn't like myself during that time and don't know how my family put up with me. I quit taking the prescription stuff ( I think it was Tagamet)and just took OTCs. After I had major abdominal surgery my abdomon became very itchy and uncomfortable. I told he day nurse who gave me the "It is just healing" spiel. It continued all day so I mentioned it to the next nurse on the next shift who actually pulled the dressing partway off and gasped and went to call the doctor as It turns out I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive on the surgical dressing. It took several days of treatment before the redness and itching went away. Three weeks later i had a hysterectomy and they reopened the same incision. this time they took off the heavy dressing as soon s the safely could and started treatment every day. For several years I would break out from band aids, so I had to use paper tape and .even that would irritate at times

Singulair gave me homicidal ideation- it seemed reasonable to plan to kill DH for snoring. Stopped taking it and reported reaction to pulmonologist. He downplayed my reaction but supposedly it has a blackbox label now.

Klonopin- i woke up gasping for air three times the night i took one pill for the first and last time.

Advil- rage and tears from lowered blood sugar.

I don't remember which bcp it was but I was switched to a new one because my doc was on maternity leave and the PA filling in for her didn't like the one I was on (I have migraines and she kept telling me it would cause me to have a stroke). So she wouldn't refill my script and made me go on this new junk. I as fine with making a switch...nobody wants a stroke right? Well the drug turned me into a murderously raging loon. Tossed that stuff right quick!

I'm sorry you had bad effects from your med Jennasis, but I totally loved your (bolded) description!! :rotfl:

Prednisone makes me incredibly anxious. I remember one time, when DD was a senior in high school (2 blocks from the house), I was taking prednisone for residual pneumonia. I would sit on the couch and be nauseated thinking about what could be happening to DD at school, while the rational part of my brain was sayin, "Don't be ridiculous, she's at school, it's just the prep." I'll tall ya, it was ALL I could do to stay on the couch instead of running up to the school to check on DD! However, the prednisone was desperately needed and was all it took to clear up my lungs after 6 months of various other treatments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter