What's there to do in Skagway?

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
Besides the DCL listed excursions, what's there to do in Skagway within walking distance or maybe a short bus ride from the docks that won't take more than 3-4 hours?

Besides the DCL listed excursions, what's there to do in Skagway within walking distance or maybe a short bus ride from the docks that won't take more than 3-4 hours?
We've got a scenic river float (2 hours, 15 minutes) scheduled with Skagway Float Tours, and a glassblowing experience (2 hours) booked with Jewell Gardens.

We've got a scenic river float (2 hours, 15 minutes) scheduled with Skagway Float Tours, and a glassblowing experience (2 hours) booked with Jewell Gardens.

What's the departure time on that? I'm looking at some excursions that run in the morning and we'd be back around lunch time. The plan was to have lunch on the ship, then check out Skagway since it's such a late departure time that day, so we're trying to figure out what to do to kill time after lunch.

What's the departure time on that? I'm looking at some excursions that run in the morning and we'd be back around lunch time. The plan was to have lunch on the ship, then check out Skagway since it's such a late departure time that day, so we're trying to figure out what to do to kill time after lunch.
The glassblowing experience is at 2pm. Our scenic river float is a.m., but they also offer one at 1:30pm.

We loved just walking around Skagway. It was such a fun town to look around. There is the famous stick covered salon ( I am drawing a blank on the name at the moment) nice parks, and I believe a tiny museum (but I could be wrong). We spent tons of time just wandering. The Hardware store was totally worth going in to look around, and we couldn't get enough of the Huckleberry Licorice we found in one of the shops. There is also a coffee shop you can go and relax in.

We did a short hike in the afternoon (after the train) which was very pleasant and offered some nice views over the port / harbour.

We also just strolled through the town after the hike, although it was unseasonably hot so we were keen to get back to the ship and take advantage of the pool.

The National Park Service has a significant presence in Skagway:

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/learn/historyculture/skagwaydistrict.htm
Exactly what I was going to recommend for Skagway! The Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park. You can sign up for free walking tours in advance. There are multiple historic buildings. You can do Park ranger badges and there are lots of kids activities. The kids and I did the Junior/Senior Park Ranger badge material at home and brought it in to get our badges.

There were so many excursions from Skagway...we would have loved to have a couple days there! We decided to do the Chilkoot Charters bus/train to the Yukon w/ dogcart ride...because when else were we going to be 'that' close to the Yukon...and well, the sled dogs were a must sometime in our trip.

We did a self guided walking tour of the historic part of town and the Liarsville excursion through the ship. Both were half day activities near port.

Skagway is beautiful and cool. You can easily amuse yourself walking off the ship and window shopping, eating and drinking and visiting with folks. It’s nit a big town. It’s very cool and beautiful.

When we were in Skagway 4 years ago, we took a private tour up to Crystal Lake in the Yukon Territory and we still had time to explore Skagway. As I mentioned earlier, the National Park Service operates several buildings along the main street in downtown. We also spent some time at the Skagway Brewing Company which is a wonderful brewpub.

We saw several people wandering in the old cemetery when we came back from our train trip. We ended up walking up to Skagway Brewing.

Walk down to the end of the town (a whopping 8 blocks), and hang out at the Skagway Brewing Co and enjoy a Spruce Tip Ale or two (or three, or...).

Do the ziplining! A fairly short but beautiful drive to the camp. We loved it!! In fact of all the excursions we have done in 5 cruises, this is our favorite.

Do the ziplining! A fairly short but beautiful drive to the camp. We loved it!! In fact of all the excursions we have done in 5 cruises, this is our favorite.
That's the plan in the morning, but I'm looking for stuff to do after lunch since it's a late day in port, but I don't want to be too caught up in stuff that we may miss the all aboard time.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

The Klondike National Historic Park Visitor Center isn't far from the docks, is it?

That's the plan in the morning, but I'm looking for stuff to do after lunch since it's a late day in port, but I don't want to be too caught up in stuff that we may miss the all aboard time.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

The Klondike National Historic Park Visitor Center isn't far from the docks, is it?
Not too far! Says it's at the corner of 2nd St and Broadway. Maybe a 5-10 minute walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter