Whats up with the Delays for Marathon Weekend??

I'm surprised Disney isn't using their own reservation system for races. A reservation system is a reservation system so they can take what they already have built, make some small modifications, and keep those fees for themselves. In fact integrating the race registration system with their existing system(s) and linking the registration directly to the MDE environment (and by extension MyMagic+ in general) would open up a lot of cross-selling opportunities to Disney.

Whomever is running that project really should be looking at every system that integrates at all with a database and planning to make it a part of the bigger ERP and analytics platform that MM+ is behind the scenes.

I'm surprised Disney isn't using their own reservation system for races. A reservation system is a reservation system so they can take what they already have built, make some small modifications, and keep those fees for themselves. In fact integrating the race registration system with their existing system(s) and linking the registration directly to the MDE environment (and by extension MyMagic+ in general) would open up a lot of cross-selling opportunities to Disney.

Whomever is running that project really should be looking at every system that integrates at all with a database and planning to make it a part of the bigger ERP and analytics platform that MM+ is behind the scenes.
Considering how many issues My Disney Experience has adding registration to it could also have issues.

I never get emails from runDisney. Nada. Nothing. Zip. Not even for races I’m registered for! I’ve signed up on runDisney for emails with three different emails. I must be blacklisted.
same here, it's annoying when I see others get race information and I'm left hunting for the info, it made me worried I was't actually registered for my race.

It will be interesting to see how quickly they sell as compared to years' past. I actually prefer it being closer to the date. It helps that Wine & Dine and Marathon sign-ups won't be on back to back credit card statements.
Me too. For the back to back registration reason and because I might not know if I can travel that far out so having it be a few months closer makes it easier.

It’s gotta be major changes for them to be delaying almost 2 months.

If they are separating themselves from Active, this can’t have been a spur of the moment decision for Disney. I’m just surprised they didn’t plan accordingly to debut their new system for marathon weekend registration without having to issue a delay. Doesn’t seem well planned out.

If they are separating themselves from Active, this can’t have been a spur of the moment decision for Disney. I’m just surprised they didn’t plan accordingly to debut their new system for marathon weekend registration without having to issue a delay. Doesn’t seem well planned out.
My guess is it was planned out that way but hasn't been as successful as hoped.

I'm also hoping that things get better, but pre-order merchandise may not be much help for those looking for a quick, relaxed expo experience on day 1. I pre-ordered a purse for my mom last year and we abandoned the expo on day 1 before picking it up because the pre-order merch line was crazy long. We came back day 2 and there was no line for official merch or pre-orders. Unless they have more volunteers and/or do a better job of spreading out the crowds it's still going to be a madhouse on day 1 of the expo.

The big expo problem that confused me last year was Dopey bib pickup taking so much longer than it had in previous years. I realize they had more people signed up for Dopey than most years, but they took something that wasn't broke and "fixed" it.

This is just what they do when it comes to big changes...

Wine & Dine night to day/adding the 10K - they announced registration delay the day AP holders/DVC members were due to register early
Disneyland race cancellations - they let returning Light Side runners register and then it was just radio silence for months before finally confirming that the races were just gone
Wine & Dine this year - same thing that is holding up 2018 and 2019 registrations??

They put on great races, but they don't seem very organized in some areas. :confused3

Maybe this is just me, but based on my experience, it doesn't seem beyond the realm of reason that runDisney didn't know until Tuesday morning that the new registration process (if that's what it is) wouldn't be ready by next week. My guess (which is just a guess) is that they had an outside company build it, they probably had a demo on Tuesday, and realized from the demo that it wasn't ready to launch.
The June 1st thing is a little weirder ... but maybe they decided to change something big from the original plans and think they need the extra time.

To add to the conspiracies, I was just on the PHM tab to look up PoT cut off and saw that the same message was at the top of it. Definitely points to them changing up the registration process. Also makes me believe that the actual registration date for MW will be after June 1st.

I would say @SarahDisney nailed it. This sounds like a software project gone bad. Registration delayed from February (last year) to April (this year) to allow time for the new registration process to be developed.
At the last minute, it became clear that the registration software was nowhere near being ready, and registration was moved even later.

I'm glad I'm sitting out this year.

I would say @SarahDisney nailed it. This sounds like a software project gone bad. Registration delayed from February (last year) to April (this year) to allow time for the new registration process to be developed.
At the last minute, it became clear that the registration software was nowhere near being ready, and registration was moved even later.

I'm glad I'm sitting out this year.
I don’t know if I consider the move from February to April a delay. April was always the registration time before they moved it up for 2017. Otherwise I agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter