What's with fidget spinners?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
My kid asked for one and finally got one cheap at Target. We actually saw them at a local zoo for $12, and I said no way. That one had three bearings. I'm not sure about the one my kid wanted, because it only has a single bearing in the middle and is kind of pointy.

My kid asked for one and finally got one cheap at Target. We actually saw them at a local zoo for $12, and I said no way. That one had three bearings. I'm not sure about the one my kid wanted, because it only has a single bearing in the middle and is kind of pointy.

Latest 'in' gadget.

My 40 something brother (successful engineer in management)had a small one in his pocket when I saw him recently. It was the first time I had seen one in person.

Gives you something to do with your hands. He said at work he always played with a pen or change in his pocket (our grandfather always jingled his change, too), etc and this is just another object. Remember the stress balls of a few years ago or the clanging metal balls suspended or the labrnyths or other 'stress reliever' desk objects sold at Christmas time as gifts?

I know teachers do not like them in class. Other than that, for older kids/adults not a big deal.

One of our sons always a small ball in his hand-football, soccer ball, baseball around the house. Just another item to mindlessly pass the time with. We were out taking senior portraits with a photographer around town. While walking between locations for pictures, I realized that ds had found a small rubber football on the streets and was playing with it. It was just so him that I had to have a picture with him and that found football.

Back in the day there was whittling a stick with a pocket knife, crocheting for women, shelling butter beans, etc.

Last edited:
I haven't seen them but I would consider getting one.

I'm a fidgeter and I find I can focus more when my hands are occupied.

DD is a teacher and hates them. They drive her crazy. At DL last week, we saw a lot and she would cringe.
Her school district is the only one around here that has not banned them

DS11 got one because all his classmates had them. As luck would have it, they were banned from school a couple days after DS11 got his. He still likes it, though, and uses it at home.

They're actually a therapy-type device for children with issues, it helps them focus. I figured I'd get one for DS20, who has Asperger's and several other issues going on. He says it makes a huge difference to him, really helps him calm himself when he's trying to talk--he has difficulty articulating. So, his doctor is writing him a note, which we'll turn in to Special Services at his college, so it's on record that he's allowed to have the device due to his issues. My younger son has no disabilities, so he's out of luck, LOL.

For most kids, it's just a fad. Remember Silly Putty? Duncan yo-yos? Tamagotchi? Beanie Babies? Slap bracelets? Garbage Pail kids? All have had their 15 minutes.

Yep, just a fad, hopefully. My kids all have them. Pretty silly if you ask me. DD9 is having issues with hers and you'd think the world was ending...I spent 30 minutes taking it apart, cleaning and lubing it. No more...it if has another issue, it's going in the trash and I'll just spend the $5 to get another one.

My 8-year-old daughter is obsessed with fidget spinners. She and her friends trade them, etc. I don't get the obsession, but when I was her age Pogs were the fad so every generation has something, I suppose!

We were in WDW last week and on Wednesday, 6/7, I noticed them behind the counter in Mouse Gear. My daughter wanted the Stitch one and they were cheap: $5.95. On Saturday, 6/10, she decided that she also wanted the Mickey fidget spinner and the price had doubled to $11.95.

I had never seen one until recently, some kid came up to me at work and handed me one and was like check this out. I was oh yea it spins for a long time, that's cute. Then like a couple days later I saw that those were all the rage. I have even seen adults walking around with those things now, and they look pretty silly. Just seems like the latest fad, and it will pass I am sure.

My son has one, but he also has ADHD and anxiety and they're (figits) written into his IEP. He doesn't use the spinner, though, and prefers the figit cube (as do I!).

My kids both have two of them. Like others said, it's just the latest kid fad. Harmless (although I totally understand how they would drive teachers bonkers!) and I imagine they'll be long gone by the time school starts again in the fall.
DS also has a "fidget cube" which doesn't look nearly as fun to me, but whatever... it's cheap and easy and made him over-the-top-excited.

My kids both have one. Hot commodity... ODS' first one was stolen. His next one he bought himself - $18. Ouch. But the line at Games by James (where they have some realllllly cool ones) was out the door, specifically to look at the options available.

My grandchildren each have 4 different styles so far. I guess that's only because I've only found 4 styles. They love playing with them. DGD is still learning words so she calls them "tidget pinners".

They were made to be a tool for those who need some help focusing. I would have loved to have had one growing up as I need to keep my hands occupied when my anxiety is up or I end up picking at my fingers/lips/clothing. However, they have now become some sort of hot trend which I hate because those who could actually USE them are being lumped in with those who are just being annoying with them.

I've seen them at Wal-mart for pretty cheap... It's just a fad. When I was a kid it was pogs, pokemon cards, tamagotchi... Now it's fidget spinners. lol They're harmless fun, so whatever.

My son has one. He loves it. And before this he played with a slinky.

But he is 21 and won't be taking it to class when he starts back in August.

I couldn't imagine the problems that they will cause in a classroom. Especially with elementary students.

I've read that there are now fidget spinner sex toys. Not sharing any links. You'll need to search if interested. ;)

When I first saw one I thought the students had some kind of modified ninja star. While I do understand their role as a focus tool for some students, the problem I now see is the kids just using them as a fad or fun have the funky colored "flashy" ones which pull the focus of the other kids.
I prefer them over the "clicking" items though. It drives me insane to have that going on in the class. I treat it the same as tapping a pencil or clicking an ink pen or "tap dancing" under your desk. If it's distracting others, it stops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter