What's with fidget spinners?

I tutor, and all the kids I teach have one or two. And are proud to show me what they can do with it (ie, spinning it on their elbow, etc). :goodvibes I don't mind them in the slightest, but I can see how they could be annoying if you've got a bunch of them in a classroom of 30 kids.

As it is impossible to write and play with a fidget spinner at the same time, they naturally get put away during lessons.

It's an inexpensive, simple little toy. I understand the appeal! As someone who used to doodle all over her notes in class, tap my foot compulsively, spin my pencil, chew my nails down to the quick, hold my breath against the second hand of the clock... I think I might've benefited from a fidget spinner back when I was a student. Even as it is, I bring knitting to church. Because apparently my ears don't work when I try to sit still. Any time I forget my handwork, the pastor starts sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher.

Be a Mean Mom like this woman.

DANDq2DUQAARh3t.jpg

I've seen them at Wal-mart for pretty cheap... It's just a fad. When I was a kid it was pogs, pokemon cards, tamagotchi... Now it's fidget spinners. lol They're harmless fun, so whatever.

Oh Pokemon cards are absolutely still a thing. If I can't retire, it will be because of the small fortune I (and, ahem, Santa) have spent on pokemon cards. And pokemon books. And pokemon stuffed animals and shirts and binders and decorations and.....

My DS's teacher actually planned a whole math unit with fidget spinners. She did a survey of how many kids had one and sent a note home asking the kids who had more than one to send them all to school for other kids to borrow for the lesson. I think it had something to do with estimation and probability timing the spin of the spinner. It was pretty cool.

When I was a kid, the fad was jelly bracelets and garbage pail kids. I wasn't allowed GPK, though. My mom thought they were horrible.

I'm a HR manager - I have a basket of "fidget" toys on my desk. I resorted to this about 5 years ago when I noticed people playing with my variety of self inking stamps.
I purchased the spinner and the cube recently before they became the all that, everyone has one toy. I've had my basket of goodies on my desk for years, I rotate the items on a regular basis. The mini slinkies and the magnetic marbles are a favorite.
Its amazing how much these little goodies help in a stressful situation or even when we are all just chatting. Its also interesting to see how different personalities react to the different toys.

As for the popularity of the spinners, I think they are just the current fad.

I'm going to buck the trend of teachers who hate them. Granted, I am a specials teacher, so I don't have the same kids in my room all day, so I can't say if my opinion would be different if I did. However, they don't bother me at all, as long as the kids are not distracting others. They know my rules: as long as they use it quietly and by themselves, they can keep it; if they don't, it's mind until the end of the period.

Last edited:
I'm a HR manager - I have a basket of "fidget" toys on my desk. I resorted to this about 5 years ago when I noticed people playing with my variety of self inking stamps.
I purchased the spinner and the cube recently before they became the all that, everyone has one toy. I've had my basket of goodies on my desk for years, I rotate the items on a regular basis. The mini slinkies and the magnetic marbles are a favorite.
Its amazing how much these little goodies help in a stressful situation or even when we are all just chatting. Its also interesting to see how different personalities react to the different toys.

As for the popularity of the spinners, I think they are just the current fad.

I have a basket of toys in my office, too. It's the most popular spot in the big office (which at times makes working difficult lol). I've got the cube, spinner, small can of play dough, this tube the expands with a noise, a small etch a sketch, stress ball, jacob's ladder, a baby teether with little beads in it that feels good to squish around, and a tiny bag of worry dolls. I'm always looking for more to add to it.

I also keep a fidget cube on my desk. I use it quite a bit.

Our school banned them. Kids bring them for the bus ride though. They sell them everywhere now, some are $3.00 and I have seen some brass ones for as much as $20.00.

Oh Pokemon cards are absolutely still a thing. If I can't retire, it will be because of the small fortune I (and, ahem, Santa) have spent on pokemon cards. And pokemon books. And pokemon stuffed animals and shirts and binders and decorations and.....
Yep, my older son(25) still has at least three binders full of Pokemon trading cards. He watched the tv show, saw all the movies when they came out,etc. My husband and I still play Pokemon Go, much to the embarrassment of our younger son(16). He says we are the last people on earth still playing :-)

I had to break down and get each one of my kids their own.. got sick of never getting to play with mine!
My 6 and 8 year olds now watch "fidget" videos on you tube.
It's slightly better then the toy unpacking ones

My daughter had a boy in her sociology class who played with one. He sat next to her and she hated the whirring sound it would make so she asked him to put it away. He said no and kept playing with it.

After class she went up to the Sociology Teacher and asked what his policy was on them and he said he didn't want them in his class. The next day, there was a sign on the door to keep them put away or they'd be confiscated until the end of class. I guess he didn't teach anyone who had an actual need for them.

My daughter was so happy he did that - it was hard for her to concentrate with the whirring going on. School is out for the summer and I'm hoping the fad goes away by the time it starts up again.

My daughter had a boy in her sociology class who played with one. He sat next to her and she hated the whirring sound it would make so she asked him to put it away. He said no and kept playing with it.

After class she went up to the Sociology Teacher and asked what his policy was on them and he said he didn't want them in his class. The next day, there was a sign on the door to keep them put away or they'd be confiscated until the end of class. I guess he didn't teach anyone who had an actual need for them.

My daughter was so happy he did that - it was hard for her to concentrate with the whirring going on. School is out for the summer and I'm hoping the fad goes away by the time it starts up again.

I am with you sister

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter