What's with fidget spinners?

It's the new "it" thing right now I guess.

We saw them at a booth at the Irish Fest in St. Charles,MO when we were visiting there a few weeks ago, I saw on my facebook a video where someone was making one (that actually worked) with cookies, and just last night the Hallmark store (which was a privately owned one) had a basket full of them at the checkout counter.

I'm sure they are all over store too like Walmart and Target, etc.

Walmart had them near the checkouts ($5). Target had them in the area that used to be called the Dollar Spot ($3). I forget what target calls that area now (right near the entrance).

Walmart had them near the checkouts ($5). Target had them in the area that used to be called the Dollar Spot ($3). I forget what target calls that area now (right near the entrance).
Bullseye's Bullpen.

I was at a professional training this week and was getting super annoyed because I couldn't figure out where an annoying sound was coming from. Finally realized that lady next to me had a fidget spinner. It was beyond annoying. If there was another seat open I would have moved.

Maybe if parents would use some sense and stop buying these things as toys for kids when that's not what they were designed for, they wouldn't be everywhere.

I was at a professional training this week and was getting super annoyed because I couldn't figure out where an annoying sound was coming from. Finally realized that lady next to me had a fidget spinner. It was beyond annoying. If there was another seat open I would have moved.
She must have had a really cheap one. Unless I put my son's right next to my ear, it is almost silent.

Maybe if parents would use some sense and stop buying these things as toys for kids when that's not what they were designed for, they wouldn't be everywhere.
Replace grandparents for parents. My mom knows full well I hate things like this, especially since I have two 3 year olds who have issues with putting small parts in their mouths. Yet she has still bought them because "they make the kids so happy!":sad2:

Last edited:
Replace grandparents for parents. My mom knows full well I hate things like this, especially since I have two 3 year olds who have issues with putting small parts in their mouths. Yet she has still bought them because "they make the kids so happy!":sad2:
So take them away. :confused3

Yep, my older son(25) still has at least three binders full of Pokemon trading cards. He watched the tv show, saw all the movies when they came out,etc. My husband and I still play Pokemon Go, much to the embarrassment of our younger son(16). He says we are the last people on earth still playing :-)

All the kids in my neighborhood are playing with Pokemon cards. My son wants a ton of Pokemon stuff for his bday and a 2 sided figit spinner. He's turning 9 next week.

So take them away. :confused3
I didn't have to. They left them in their pockets the first day they got them and they ended up in the washer then dryer. I told them they broke, but they're thrown on the top rack of my laundry area behind stuff.
Your response was a bit rude though. I never said my kids play with them. Just that they got them. Especially considering I also stated that my three year olds have an issue with eating small parts.
ETA: sorry, my response was snippy. I've had a rough day with the three year olds and took it out on you. Their latest target was my remote control, which I had just discovered has no buttons left. The boys had fidget spinners that that first day when grandma gave them to them. I've twirled them while doing laundry to see what the appeal was. Other than that yes they've been taken away.

Last edited:

She must have had a really cheap one. Unless I put my son's right next to my ear, it is almost silent.

The noise varies a lot from one to another. I haven't really noticed a pattern related to price, just random differences.

My house is so loud I've never noticed if my sons' make an audible noise. Now I can't wait to get all these kids to bed so I can check:tongue:
That's what I did. Went into my son's room and asked for it.

Then spun it like crazy.

All I can say is that it makes a lot less noise then the slinky made. Now that thing drove me crazy.

But both really helps him to concentrate when he is studying. So, unless he goes really crazy with either of them, he can keep them.

I have several students that have them...I'm planning on checking out if they make sound when I see them this week, lol.

Isn't it interesting, though, how some sounds bother some people and not others? This past Friday was my son's high school graduation. There was a little girl behind us who was quietly talking through most of it. I was able to tune her out, until, that is, my mother, who was seated next to me, started complaining about it. Then I not only had a hard time tuning out the girl, but now I had to contend with my mother's whispered complaints, too. Luckily, my mother did stop when I asked her to.

DS11 got one because all his classmates had them. As luck would have it, they were banned from school a couple days after DS11 got his. He still likes it, though, and uses it at home.

They're actually a therapy-type device for children with issues, it helps them focus. I figured I'd get one for DS20, who has Asperger's and several other issues going on. He says it makes a huge difference to him, really helps him calm himself when he's trying to talk--he has difficulty articulating. So, his doctor is writing him a note, which we'll turn in to Special Services at his college, so it's on record that he's allowed to have the device due to his issues. My younger son has no disabilities, so he's out of luck, LOL.

For most kids, it's just a fad. Remember Silly Putty? Duncan yo-yos? Tamagotchi? Beanie Babies? Slap bracelets? Garbage Pail kids? All have had their 15 minutes.

I believe the professors have a say in what is allowed in their classrooms, not a doctor. At least the private schools my daughters went to didn't have to accept a doctor's note for a fidget toy. When would your son have to use it? In lecture, he'd be responsible for taking notes - you need two hands for a fidget spinner, and your eyes on it to keep it stable and spinning. That would not be good during lecture. You'd miss a lot! During lab time, it just wouldn't be safe. So when would he use it? If it's before class starts, he wouldn't need a note. If he needs a note, that means the spinner is obvious and a distraction to others.

I'm going to buck the trend of teachers who hate them. Granted, I am a specials teacher, so I don't have the same kids in my room all day, so I can't say if my opinion would be different if I did. However, they don't bother me at all, as long as the kids being distracting others. They know my rules: as long as they use it quietly and by themselves, they can keep it; if they don't, it's mind until the end of the period.

Could you fix the typo? I'm not sure what you are trying to say - did you mean "as long as the kids are not distracting others?" I guess that makes the most sense.

I've yet to see a spinner that doesn't distract someone.

I believe the professors have a say in what is allowed in their classrooms, not a doctor. At least the private schools my daughters went to didn't have to accept a doctor's note for a fidget toy. When would your son have to use it? In lecture, he'd be responsible for taking notes - you need two hands for a fidget spinner, and your eyes on it to keep it stable and spinning. That would not be good during lecture. You'd miss a lot! During lab time, it just wouldn't be safe. So when would he use it? If it's before class starts, he wouldn't need a note. If he needs a note, that means the spinner is obvious and a distraction to others.

Could you fix the typo? I'm not sure what you are trying to say - did you mean "as long as the kids are not distracting others?" I guess that makes the most sense.

No, two hands are not needed for a fidget spinner. Once it gets going the momentum keeps it going. One could easily hold it while writing on a desk.

No, two hands are not needed for a fidget spinner. Once it gets going the momentum keeps it going. One could easily hold it while writing on a desk.
Yep.

My son uses one hand. And most of the time, he isn't looking at it. He is reading or watching a video. He could easily write while spinning it.

Yes, I meant to type "as long as the kids are not distracting others." Several posters "liked" my post, so I guess they figured out my meaning. I had started to type one version, changed it, and missed making all of the corrections.

I have noticed that as long as the spinner stays in the student's lap / under the desk, they aren't distracting others. Other students often don't even realize that the child has one, much less is using it. But again, I set expectations for my classes as to how the devices may be used, which seems to alleviate the distraction problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter