What's your favorite watch for running and why?

I decided to go ahead and keep the Garmin Fenix 5, despite it's somewhat larger size. I'm enjoying it so far. My previous watch was an Apple watch, but was I think the second version so no onboard GPS. Most of the things the Apple watch does that the Garmin doesn't (apple pay, answering phone/email/text, etc.) I don't do while running anyway, and in all other situations I have my phone with me. Thanks for everyone's answers! They were helpful in thinking this through and making a decision!

I love my Garmin 235 and that it connects to the app to see all my stats. I love the heart rate monitor and sleep tracker as well

Hi all, my goal is to run Dopey in 2020 and my plan is to lock in a couple of half marathons throughout the year in 2019. I'd like to train as constructively as possible and perhaps try out the Galloway interval training. I was wondering if anyone has done this interval training and what devices they use for it? I am thinking of getting a GPS running watch and wonder if it will help me with the training? If so, what watch should I get? Anyone has any ideas or suggestions?

Hi all, my goal is to run Dopey in 2020 and my plan is to lock in a couple of half marathons throughout the year in 2019. I'd like to train as constructively as possible and perhaps try out the Galloway interval training. I was wondering if anyone has done this interval training and what devices they use for it? I am thinking of getting a GPS running watch and wonder if it will help me with the training? If so, what watch should I get? Anyone has any ideas or suggestions?

I have the RunMeter app on both my iPhone and Apple watch. I have it set to Run Intervals (run slow/run fast). My phone alerts when to switch and my watch vibrates accordingly.

I like it so far. I had a Series 1.

The new heart health features appeal to me. And I love the sensor for falls (I know it seems silly to some, but not to me). I do like that it prompts you if you start a workout without starting the workout app. But, I usually already have it started anyway. And I LOVE the new face! It actually made me switch from Jesse and Bullseye.

The fall sensor is one of the reasons I upgraded my Series 2! DH now has watch face FOMO and is considering getting the Series 4. He uses his Apple just for running and wears a regular watch otherwise. He said he’d wear the the Apple full time with the Infograph watch face. Perhaps a pixiedust: under the tree for him!

I started Star Wars half marathon training this week using the Galloway method. I use the Nike Run app on my Apple watch to track the run and the lolo app on my iPhone for intervals (and general insight from Jeff) with a pair of Trekz bone conduction earphones. The app allows downloads of favorite music or a suggested playlist. DH uses it and loves it but I turned it off because of where I run. The app has all sorts of interval choices and a beginner and advanced training plan. It was available as a 5k, 10K, half and full marathon package I got on special a couple years ago. The app is also Apple family shareable.

I prefer the Apple Watch over Garmin because it displays the info I want at a glance. It’s probably because I’m technically challenged but I could not get the Garmin to display heart rate, average pace and distance at a glance. DH traded in his Fenix for an Apple after one run for this reason.

Good luck training!

Get an armband or flipbelt for your phone for hands free running and use Map My Run instead. I tried a couple trackers and running watches and ditched them all after awhile. I need to take my phone with me when I run anyway (it just makes good sense for safety reasons), so might as well use that to track. I have tiny wrists and the watches are all way too big and bulky.

So I haven't been fortunate enough to try one of the more expensive garmins. I've used a 200, 235, VivoActive HR. I've also used the Nike plus watch and Apple watch 3. To answer your question specifically the 235 is my favorite running watch. I think if I could drop the money the Fenix 5 would probably take beat out the 235. That being said I find I wear the Apple watch 3 everyday and not the garmin because I don't like switching watches just for my run during the day. I like the apple watch better for most of my non-running usage so it's become my defacto running watch even though it seems to be less accurate and more buggy than my garmin.

Does anyone remember if the Garmin dealers at the runDisney Expo offer discounts on the watches? I lost my garmin watch and I need to buy a new one...I hate having to spend over $450 for a 935 when it was on sale for $400 on Black Friday and I lost my watch AFTER that...so trying to figure out if I should wait till the expo to get it cheaper. fyi, avoid buying it from Amazon (or at least be very very careful) as some selleres there sell the ASIAN PACIFIC region watch and not the US version and you will be screwed with firmware updates, etc.

Does anyone remember if the Garmin dealers at the runDisney Expo offer discounts on the watches? I lost my garmin watch and I need to buy a new one...I hate having to spend over $450 for a 935 when it was on sale for $400 on Black Friday and I lost my watch AFTER that...so trying to figure out if I should wait till the expo to get it cheaper. fyi, avoid buying it from Amazon (or at least be very very careful) as some selleres there sell the ASIAN PACIFIC region watch and not the US version and you will be screwed with firmware updates, etc.

I think the Fit2Run booth usually has a 10% or so discount on Garmins at the Expo. I got my 935 from them at the DLH Expo last year. IIRC, the discount was the same at both the WDW and DL expos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter