What's your favorite Winter Olympic sport to watch?

Curling. Probably because my mom is from Canada and some of her siblings were into curling.
Actually, because her siblings were all in the 60's when they took up curling, i always thought of curling as an old persons sports, when they couldn't play hockey anymore. So seeing all these young people curling is interesting. Seems every Friday night we watch some curling on the NBC Sports channel.

Snowcross, curling, biathlon, nordic combined, luge, alpine skiing events. If I watch figure skating at all anymore it's probably dance. Don't know what happened, used to be my favorite for years and I haven't been feeling it for a long time.

There is a new curling event this year, mixed doubles. Watched the Canadians qualifying trials this past very frigid weekend. It really changes up the dynamics of curling and it was interesting watching the competitors still grappling with the change of tasks in the format.

Curling!! :cheer2: Woot Team Canada - Gold Medal defenders! Here's a peek at our 2018 team uniforms!
171003_bw1ja_rci-tmcda_sn635.jpg

Wow. Regarding the jacket next to the left on top. THE 80S CALLED, THEY WANT THEIR JACKET BACK!!!!!!

It’s hockey and curling in our house! The strategy involved in curling is epic, but many don’t understand it. We watched the new mixed doubles on the weekend, held near us. We’d never seen this before. Our talented Kaitlyn Lawes will be going to the Olympics! She, and her curling partner are already both Olympic gold medalists. Her women’s team didn’t make it, but they won Gold in the Sochi Olympic, undefeated! The won every game they played. Hockey will definitely be different this year without NHL players.

I have trouble watching it, it's too stressful for me when they do the big jumps. I always worry they are going to face plant and crack their skulls.

I get so nervous too especially watching the pairs skaters and that death spiral spin they do.
I have fond memories of watching most of the figure skating events when I was younger. 1988 olympics is the first one I can recall watching. I enjoyed watching the ones that aired on live tv with no spoilers.

FWIW, don't worry about the death spirals; that is actually one of the easiest maneuvers in high-level pairs skating. What you need to worry about are the quad throws; those are seriously dangerous. Just like jumps, throws have to be landed on one foot, and the speed and height of a quad throw make that extremely difficult to do; there have been instances where female skaters have suffered foot fractures from the force of the landing, and it is not uncommon for their partners to end up with torn rotator cuffs from having to throw that kind of weight over and over again. In addition, for the ladies, if the angle of your body gets too far off and you fail to get your skate under you, you'll come crashing down from a height of over 8 ft off the ice.

Last edited:

FWIW, don't worry about the death spirals; that is actually once of the easiest maneuvers in high-level pairs skating. What you need to worry about are the quad throws; these little beauties:

But those throws don't have death in the name, what's the big deal? You think moving around quickly on a big, slick surface with the soles of your footwear resting on a thin metal blade, being thrown in the air to be caught by your partner while spinning around compares?

I think you're pulling my leg. Something I definitely request you not do if I'm out on the ice in my skates.

Wow. Regarding the jacket next to the left on top. THE 80S CALLED, THEY WANT THEIR JACKET BACK!!!!!!

Heh, yes it does look like an 80s throwback, but it's called a puffer coat/jacket and they're actually quite fashionable right now. Not that I know very much about fashion, but I do know that people love their puffer coats, LOL.

Death spirals throw jumps. Mere child's play. Until they can execute a Pamchenko, don't even bother me with em.

Cutting Edge reference for the win!

As a figure skater/coach of 20+ years, that’s my obvious first choice, but I also love bobsledding and luge, and opening ceremonies. Can’t wait until the day synchronized skating becomes an Olympic sport!

Figure Skating and speedskating. I like watching Bobsleding and Luge even though I think they are crazy!

I am a bad Canadian and don’t watch curling or hockey. I have tried to watch curling many time but still don’t understand it.

Death spirals throw jumps. Mere child's play. Until they can execute a Pamchenko, don't even bother me with em.

I think I was getting death spirals mixed up with the bounce spin where the woman is held by her feet and spun around with her head almost hitting the ground.

I was born without the sports gene, none of it interests me. I know I'm different from 98% of the world and 99.9% of men. DW will watch quite a bit of it, especially the figure skating. If some ski-ing event happens to be on I will watch 5-10 minutes and move on. There's a whole rack of Disney movies in the mancave.:earsboy:

Cutting Edge reference for the win!

As a figure skater/coach of 20+ years, that’s my obvious first choice, but I also love bobsledding and luge, and opening ceremonies. Can’t wait until the day synchronized skating becomes an Olympic sport!

What a coincidence. I too was a coach. I coached a star North Korean team. But then something went, horribly wrong when they attempted an Iron Lotus. However, the judges gave them a perfect score for execution.

I was born without the sports gene, none of it interests me. I know I'm different from 98% of the world and 99.9% of men. DW will watch quite a bit of it, especially the figure skating. If some ski-ing event happens to be on I will watch 5-10 minutes and move on. There's a whole rack of Disney movies in the mancave.:earsboy:

We don't follow much of what most people consider sports here either and none of us would have the first clue where ESPN is in our channel lineup. For some reason we do enjoy lots of Olympic sporting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter