What's your must-do sitdown restaurant at Universal?

My first thought was Toothsome.. it seems pretty cool as far as theme and the kids would love the milkshakes. It doesn't take reservations though.. would you expect a long wait on a weeknight during a non-busy time of year?

I know Cowfish is supposed to be really good, but not sure if the theme is interesting enough.

Also I am thinking about Mythos... Pete Werner seems to HATE it, but lots seem to love it, so I am confused, ha. Why is it so polarizing? Would this be a better option than going over to CityWalk?

I don't think a wait at Toothsome is too bad on a weeknight during off-peak times anymore. We were there last April and went on a Thursday around 7pm. Only waited about 20 minutes to be seated, food came out quick, but it took a solid 30 minutes for our shakes to come out after dinner once we ordered them. The desserts also have a to-go counter so I think they get very backed up. If you're concerned about this, just ask your server if they are backed up and then you can decide to either wait it out or visit the to-go counter another time.

Cowfish is delicious but I agree with you that the theme, or lack thereof, would not appeal to kids. We were underwhelmed by the atmosphere inside but the patio is really nice if the weather is right. I see a few others mention Vivo - delicious food, the fresh pasta hanging in the open kitchen is cool, but the rest of it just strikes me as a contemporary Italian restaurant with no theme that would appeal to kids.

We will be eating at Mythos for the first time in two weeks, but the theme inside is definitely unique. Check out the menu though - the fare is unique too which is why we've avoided it for a while. We're somewhat picky eaters.

Other than these, I would also suggest NBC Sports Grill if the kids are sports fans. Tons of TVs and some of the larger tables are also foosball tables which is different. They'll also open up the doors if the weather is right. I also think Antojitos and Margaritaville have fun themes, though they may be lost on kids. Margaritaville has that fun tropical vibe with the exploding volcano and Antojitos has mariachi music during dinner at certain times. Love the food at both too!

3 Broomsticks - food and atmosphere, favorite of all, the feast is a great deal, also like the fish and the Cornish pasties

Mythos - atmosphere over food, enjoy food, but it’s too exotic for the picky eaters in our family, so it’s usually a grownup trip only place for us

Bubba Gump - food and atmosphere, kids favorite must do place, they like the quiz, and the licenses plate signs, and even the picky eaters always find something, and we always have to get shirts in the gift shop, there’s something about the feel of the material they use for most of their clothes that everyone in the family really likes

Cowfish - food and games, they have cornhole set up and an interactive touch screen wall, something to do with fish, not as themed, but fun

Toothsome - desserts and character interaction, don’t care for the regular food very much, tried it a few times, and wasn’t overly impressed

I’ve never needed reservations for any restaurant at Universal, even when we have a large group. I don’t think we’ve ever waited longer than 15 minutes to be seated. Maybe Toothsome because it is so new and popular. It does get waits at crowded times, but we’ve had luck with walk ups when it opens at lunch.
Thank you so much for all of this info! Very helpful.

I don't think a wait at Toothsome is too bad on a weeknight during off-peak times anymore. We were there last April and went on a Thursday around 7pm. Only waited about 20 minutes to be seated, food came out quick, but it took a solid 30 minutes for our shakes to come out after dinner once we ordered them. The desserts also have a to-go counter so I think they get very backed up. If you're concerned about this, just ask your server if they are backed up and then you can decide to either wait it out or visit the to-go counter another time.

Cowfish is delicious but I agree with you that the theme, or lack thereof, would not appeal to kids. We were underwhelmed by the atmosphere inside but the patio is really nice if the weather is right. I see a few others mention Vivo - delicious food, the fresh pasta hanging in the open kitchen is cool, but the rest of it just strikes me as a contemporary Italian restaurant with no theme that would appeal to kids.

We will be eating at Mythos for the first time in two weeks, but the theme inside is definitely unique. Check out the menu though - the fare is unique too which is why we've avoided it for a while. We're somewhat picky eaters.

Other than these, I would also suggest NBC Sports Grill if the kids are sports fans. Tons of TVs and some of the larger tables are also foosball tables which is different. They'll also open up the doors if the weather is right. I also think Antojitos and Margaritaville have fun themes, though they may be lost on kids. Margaritaville has that fun tropical vibe with the exploding volcano and Antojitos has mariachi music during dinner at certain times. Love the food at both too!
Thanks! If you remember, let us know how Mythos went. :) We are from a Greek family so the food looks fine to us and the inside looks pretty cool, but I just really have heard bad things about it and can't figure out why, ha!! But ambiance is big for me... love "themes" (thus why I am a WDW addict) so Mythos or Toothsome seem to have the most unique ambiance.

Every time we have been at Mythos we have loved it! We really enjoy both the food and the atmosphere. We have been there about 5-6 times now.

I absolutely love Toothsome.

Love the Steampunk design/decor, and their two wandering characters (Penelope and Jacques) the kids loved when they stopped by the table for a chat and some jokes.

For dessert, rather than the milkshakes my kids and I opted to share a S'Mores Sundae and we could barely finish it as it was rediculously huge!

We went mid week for a 5:30ish dinner and didn't have to wait at all but it did get busier by the time we left.

We went to Toothsome last summer and didn't have a wait for 6 people. The food was huge portions and good. The only thing was it took forever to eat. We were there almost two hours for dinner and dessert. What was frustrating was when we paid, she took my card and didn't come back for half an hour. I had to ask another waiter to track our waitress down. We will go back, but we will probably try to stick to the dessert. DH got some kind of banana split dessert and wow it was amazing!

Beware that many of the sit down restaurants in the parks close early. Mythos and Confisco Grill in particular. Mythos is kinda neat but we had slow service and so so food. We also didn’t have the greatest experience at Cowfish. The concept really appealed to me but our food wasn’t very good and it was a packed night with slow service. We liked Toothsome and love both Leaky Cauldron and 3 Broomsticks. They seem pretty similar to me. Finnegans was ok. Hands down, Jake’s American Bar at RPR was our best meal. Nice theming, good service, really tasty food. It surprised us with how good everything tasted and the kids fruit cup was fresh and filled with ripe fruit and huge.

I’ve found sometimes my favorite eateries falls short and I walk away very disappointed

When I read how others had a fantastic meal there, it makes me want to try it again

Sometimes menu changes makes the difference

Beware that many of the sit down restaurants in the parks close early. Mythos and Confisco Grill in particular. Mythos is kinda neat but we had slow service and so so food. We also didn’t have the greatest experience at Cowfish. The concept really appealed to me but our food wasn’t very good and it was a packed night with slow service. We liked Toothsome and love both Leaky Cauldron and 3 Broomsticks. They seem pretty similar to me. Finnegans was ok. Hands down, Jake’s American Bar at RPR was our best meal. Nice theming, good service, really tasty food. It surprised us with how good everything tasted and the kids fruit cup was fresh and filled with ripe fruit and huge.

Jakes has a fun backstory too...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter