Wheelchair charge

Should wheelchair charge be included in ticket price?

• Yes. Handicapped people should not have to worry about bringing their own wheelchair

• No. Handicapped people are responsible to bring their own wheelchair

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about people, like me, who do not need a wheelchair in every day life, but might need one at Disney? I was NOT expecting to need one at Disney. At all. Long(ish) story short that I've shared on here before, my friends decided it would be best to rent one for me for the last day in the park. I would not have even thought to have brought proof of my disability because I never excepted to use one. And yes, if they offered them for free, they would need to require "proof" of some sort of a person's disability, because some people would take advantage of it if they didn't. They'd also need to make sure that someone without a disability isn't "taking" one from someone else. So the idea similar to a parking placard wouldn't work, just because there are plenty of people who only need a wheelchair at Disney, when they are walking multiple miles per day, days in a row. Perhaps, to you, that's not a "disability" but does that mean that those people should have to rent, or go without? Again, then we are getting into having to "prove" disability, which can become an issue, as others have said. Where's the line between "free" and "rent" then? Will some people rent a wheelchair even if they don't really need one? I'm sure there are a few. But the rental charge reigns this in some.

Also, specifically refering to how you worded your poll, if someone needs a wheelchair in every day life, why would the NOT use their own? YES, they are expected to provide their own wheelchair. I could go on, but I think I'll stop now.

Again missing the point......

Not missing your point ....... BUT Here is My Question to you

How did Lauren travel to a Disney Hotel & then to the Bus Stop to take her to A.K. ?

Did you Fly /Drive from your home town to Disney & did you have a Wheelchair with you ?

If you Had a wheelchair , from the Start of your Vacation , Why did you NOT Think of using it & A.K.?

12 months ago I was waiting for a Knee Replacement .

2 trips planned ( 1 ) to Fly to Orlando , a 9hour flight , ( 2 ) A flight to Amsterdam , a 1 hour flight .

How was I going to travel around the Parks . Disney & The Efteling in Holland.

Simple Buy my own Wheelchair & use it .... family pushing Me around ..... so WE ALL could enjoy ourselves.

NO Problems on The Flights to Orlando & to Amsterdam . & NO Extra COST .

First on Bus Transport . First on Monorail & Boats.

How did I feel about that ....... A Bit of a Fraud to be Honest .... But Delighted that it was an end to a need

This year .... What a difference .... New KNEE .. & Able to Walk around Parks

When my family and I arrive to Disney's Animal Kingdom to celebrate Sophia's 5th birthday we were all filled with joy and excitement. I got off the bus to quickly try to find a wheelchair for Lauren(Sophia's Mother). There was one wheelchair there at said complimentary wheelchair to the park.

OP, quoting your original post and highlighting/bolding what you seem to be missing when discussing the issue.

I think you should re-read the post because you missed my point.

Parents can choose to use a strollers to make their experience easier. Disabled people need a wheelchair to make their experience possible.

bull Twinkies. if you know you need to have a PMD to make your experience possible than it is YOUR responsibility to PROVIDE FOR THAT NEED and not expect the rest of the union erst to do it for you. why should my husband have to pay more for his ticket to cover your wheelchair need? ( I bring my own chair with me.. either my personal one or one I rent locally)

Okay you are missing my point. I am saying that I think it is immoral to charge for a wheelchair. I understand that a lot of people will disagree but if I was not say anything I would not be able to sleep because I would feel like a terrible person. Again it's not the $12 that upsets me it's the fact that they targeting disabled people to increase revenue. Again obviously this is my opinion and how I feel and have nothing but respect for you people who disagree with me just stating how it makes me feel.

IMMORAL?! nothing immoral whatsoever about it. they are targeting NO ONE. they are providing an OPTIONAL service. plenty of non handicapped people rent wheelchairs at Disney and elsewhere.

you are quite frankly the kind of person that makes most other handicapped people cringe at the entitlement attitude. you remind me of parents who whine and complain all the time about having to pay for their kids.

my father is a skin cancer survivor. by your logic he should demand that Disney provide him with sunscreen and a hat for free.

:::sniff sniff sniff::: sorry gang, but I smell troll.

This person has 9 posts - all of them in this thread.

They have accomplished their goal - getting everyone riled up, and having done so, will probably move along.

This thread has done one thing for me - it has shown me that (aside from 2 people, 1 of whom was obviously the troll) what we have here is an intelligent, thoughtful, passionate community that I am proud to be a part of, every day.

Maybe the mods should just close this out?

:::sniff sniff sniff::: sorry gang, but I smell troll.

This person has 9 posts - all of them in this thread.

They have accomplished their goal - getting everyone riled up, and having done so, will probably move along.

This thread has done one thing for me - it has shown me that (aside from 2 people, 1 of whom was obviously the troll) what we have here is an intelligent, thoughtful, passionate community that I am proud to be a part of, every day.

Maybe the mods should just close this out?

I was thinking that too.

Thank you @mamabunny. I would agree. I think we’ve managed to say all that needs to be said on this topic. I’m still pretty new to the community here, but I’m glad to be part of a group that has shown to be happy to help each other while maintaining personal responsibility and personal respect.

We left the thread open, thinking it was very possibly a troll (or at least a person with a rather unusual view).
Allowing it to stay open allowed for some important points to be made - like what the law actually requires.

I do believe there is little point in keeping it open after 3 pages, so will close it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts