Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements

I found this posted on a thread on the Resorts Board

There are several types of Accessible room at Port Orleans (I've got a full list at www.portorleans.org/rooms-accessible.php) but basically the wheelchair accessible rooms come in two variants, one with a roll-in shower and the other with a bathtub that you can get a wheelchair alongside. Both types have an 'open plan' washroom area, with the shower/tub, a single basin, and the toilet all within the same large room which has a sliding door separating it from the main sleeping area:

POR-Room-MBrefurb-85xxA-2011-3540_forum.jpg

Because this layout removes the space for the shelf and hanging rail from the wash area, these rooms also feature an extra armoire-style wardrobe in the main bedroom area. Also, to allow more space between the queen-size beds, the recessed alcove next to the entrance doorway is 'bumped-out' to give a flat wall, and thus slightly more floor space (although no option for a connecting doorway to the next room).

POR-Room-MBrefurb-85xxA-2011-3552_forum.jpg

The exact locations of all of the Accessible rooms are listed in my floorplan layouts which you can view by clicking on any of the accommodation buildings in the maps at www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php

Andre

Does anyone know about the disabled rooms at the Yacht Club. We got a killer deal for late august, and normally we stay at Port Orleans but this is the first time I will need a shower that will enable me to walk in.

What do you want to know? Roll in showers are available at all resorts, so also at YC.

Dus yc on a split stay end of 2011, had a standard view room with roll in shower.

Just need to make certain that they have them available with queen beds. My son will be staying in my room (he is 43) and I don't want them to think we are a couple:confused3 and give a king.

You will want to specify this to your tastes or cm when booking. By now they book room that specifies type of accessibility AND type of bedding. Things can happen and I Could see where 2 adults will then be a lieden priority to for instance 3, but if not booking right odds are bad.

And yes, this combi is available. Been in it.

I have not stayed at YC but have stayed at BWI in HA rooms. HA rooms are a bookable catagory by what type of sleeping arrangements 2 Q's or a King as is the type of Bath/Shower roll in etc.

Thanks loads,

I think my grand-daughter might be our third in room which will take care of that, but just in case.

I'm soooo excited huge family trip 13 of us, just want everything to go well.

Anyone have info or pics on the HA rooms (studios) in Jambo House? We stayed in a HA room at Kidani in January but decided to try Jambo for the next trip for something different...and hoping that there isn't QUITE as much walking required to get to the room. (Those LONG Kidani hallways can be killers and room requests just don't seem to get much attention lately.) Can you give me an idea how similar or different the HA studios are from one to the other? Room locations? Pictures would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks so much! :)

Can anyone tell me about the king/double rooms at All-Star Sports that have roll-in showers? Does anyone have pictures or a room layout? I'm just wondering, with both beds in those small rooms will there still be room for a wheelchair or ECV to manuver. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me about the king/double rooms at All-Star Sports that have roll-in showers? Does anyone have pictures or a room layout? I'm just wondering, with both beds in those small rooms will there still be room for a wheelchair or ECV to manuver. Thanks!

When we stayed at All-Star Sports in 2010, we had an ECV and an Electric wheelchair in the room. We started out in a king room and then moved to a double bed room... There was definitely more maneuvering room in the king room, but were still able to get both in the double room.... it was tight but doable. Sorry didn't take any pictures. HTH

I would upload photos for the rooms, but if you stayed in the HA king roll in shower, just picture a connected double double, same room number. I needed this combo last year but did not have the option, I had to pay for two double doubles, with one HA room.
I. Could not bunk a 16 with me and the handicap person could not sleep with others. Not sure on the cost of the room as it was a package.

It was at the rear of the resort very far from the food court. The computer pool and parking lot where close by. If you walked around the outside parking past the 90's you could get to the bus stop easier. I ended up driving with the mobility equipment needs.

I stayed in 3510 in Saratoga Springs. I really loved it. I was big enough for my daughter's wheelchair. The dining area was a little tight. Overall, it was very nice. Loved the pool and the lift chair into the pool.

Video tour of our preferred Accessible 1 King + 1 Double at Sports in April - http://youtu.be/HM4UjW1bG4Y
That's not a public video.

Message me if you have questions about it, but I think the video will show you what you need to know.

Thank you for the extremely helpful video. Shows much more than you can in photos. It's sooooo hard to get reliable HC info about hotels rooms, disney or otherwise.

Thanks!

Laurie

Anyone?
Can anyone tell me the location of the disabled rooms at Animal Kingdom Lodge? Do they have Savannah views and are they close to the lobby? I am travelling next year in a party with my brother in law who has MS and very little mobility. I would appreciate any help on this?

Thanks
Janet

Anyone?
Can anyone tell me the location of the disabled rooms at Animal Kingdom Lodge? Do they have Savannah views and are they close to the lobby? I am travelling next year in a party with my brother in law who has MS and very little mobility. I would appreciate any help on this?

Thanks
Janet

The accessible rooms at all resorts are spread out, there should be some on all floors and different views. HA rooms are not necessarily closest to the lobby, restaurants, buses/transportation, etc. Will he have a wheelchair or ECV, something to help him get around the resort? You may be able to book a preferred location which is closer to the main public areas, but that probably won't provide the best Savannah view -- you'll have to decide which is more important for your party.

Enjoy your vacation!

Anyone?

Thanks
Janet

If you check the site AKL has HA rooms in all categories Savanah included in various configurations 2 Q's, King w/daybed, shower or tub etc.

I booked the Std view since Std rooms are located on floors 1-4 on the Ostrich and Giraffe Trails which is close to Lobby and Elevators

Pool view HA rooms would be fairly close too but I should think Savanahh HA would/could be located far from lobby

Hopefully someone who has stayed there will offer more help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter